It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

garnet99 HB User
Autism Books: what did you like? didn't like?

We're still waiting for a dx for DS but we're almost 100% sure he has autism. I've starting reading quite a few books but know there are many more out there that I haven't tried yet. Any reviews? Here are a few of the books I've read:

I just finished A Real Boy by Christina Adams
Really enjoyed it, a mother's account of her son's "full recovery". Lots of information here for our family.

Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis
A favorite of those us who are trying gluten-free/casein-free diet intervention; it was a good place to start when I was looking for diet info. I'm not much of a cook but I'm willing to try some of these recipes.

Facing Autism by Lynn M. Hamilton
Still reading this one -- not so much story as reference book.

Speaking of reference books, The Autism Source Book by Karen Siff Exkorn is on my desk and I've referred to it quite a few times in the past week.

I'm just about to start Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice, which was probably the one I should have read first : ) .

And of course, Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures will be right after that.

I'd love to hear everyone's personal opinions on your favs or books you didn't enjoy.

[edited] Has anyone read Climbing Out of Autism or Say Good-bye to Allergy-Related Autism ? Thoughts?

Thx

garnet99

Last edited by garnet99; 03-19-2006 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Edited to add a question

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
(female)

ferfyw HB User
Re: Autism Books: what did you like? didn't like?

I recommend "Overcoming Autism" by Lynn Koegel and Claire LaBeznik.

Kathy

Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I liked Children with Starving Brains by Jacquelin McCandless, M.D. This is the story of a doctor who was skeptical of biomedical interventions for autism until she herself had an autistic grandchild.

Also 2 thumbs up for Temple Grandin & Lisa Lewis. The Lewis cookbooks are great because she's really got the 'kid quotient' figured into the recipes.

Best wishes.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
(female)

Curious Nana HB User

When Drake, my grandson, was first diagnosed just over a year ago, I went to Amazon and typed in Autism and got over 6000 hits! Where should I start? I was "led" to get Children With Starving Brains. I was pulled to it because of what little I read about her approach, and the fact that she was coming at it from being a Nana as well. I LOVE THAT BOOK! I have read others since, but that is outstanding as far as giving us better understanding and a good place to start. I am now starting Impossible Cure by Amy Lansky, and will let you know what jewels I find within. It is about a mom who cured her son through the use of homeopathy.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I'm currently reading Asperger Syndrome in Adolescence: Living with the Ups, the Downs, and the Things in Between by Liane H. Willey.

I thought I was on top of my game until I read this book ... too bad I didn't find it 3 yrs. ago! This book is very positive & has many, many constructive ideas on helping AS adolescents reach their potential. It covers just about every aspect of life you can think of.

Highly recommended for parents of AS or HFA adolescents.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Animals In Translation, by Temple Grandin is a favorite of mine.

Other books I like are: A Mind Apart, Sound of a Miracle, and Dancing In the Rain.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
(female)

Curious Nana HB User

I am reading Sound of a Miracle in response to our just finding out about this type of therapy, and a doc in Lafayette,IN, (an hour and a half away), who does it. My husband has talked with her, and we are making plans to get Drake into her program in June. I got 4 copies so Randy and I, as well as Drake's parents, could read up on it so we know what to expect.

I am just in the first few chapters, and I am just sickened by what mothers went through who were led to believe by "experts" that their lack of affection and acceptance of their child is what caused the autism.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has used this treatment approach with their child, and if so, what kind of results did you experience?

Also, I was so excited this week to find out from my daughter that they are opening a Children's Autism Center in Fort Wayne. They have an open house in a couple of weeks, and it will be interesting to see what they are all about.
Currently, there is nothing like this in the area.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Curious Nana,

That "refrigerator mother" theory is a particularly ugly and unfair theory. It has caused parents and children untold sorrow. How sickening that this was believed. It was Bruno Bettleheim, in his book, The Empty Fortress (horrible name for a book, insinuating people with autism have "nothing going on," when, in fact, it can be quite the opposite, that they are overstimulated and unable to make sense of it all) who propounded the theory. Yecch!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

m25 HB User

"Autism" by Uta Frith is a very well-written and informative book.

I would also recommend "Somebody Somewhere" by Donna Williams.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Donna Williams is excellent!

I also like "Son Rise" and "A Miracle to Believe In," by Barry Kaufman. I listened to Raun Kaufman on the radio today. He recovered from profound autism with the help of his parents. What an inspirational story.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Can It Be Austism? is another interesting book I have seen. It talks about the importance of early intervention and the role of parents in helping their kids achieving everything they can. I think it has good information about helping all children, not just those with ASDs.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #12
(female)

Curious Nana HB User

I just finished Sound of a Miracle today. It was such a touching story, and a VERY HOPEFUL one for anyone out there who notices that your autistic loved one is supersensitive to noises. One test they talked about was taking your child in for a regular hearing test and noting his/her reaction as he/she is exposed to different frequencies of sound. If there is "pain" registered in your child's face as certain frequencies are played, then seek out a therapist would will do this therapy! Your child will likely be found to have no hearing problem by a trained audiologist, but what your child is dealing with goes beyond what regular hearing tests can diagnose.The mother who wrote this book has a daughter who had been through some very harsh treatments and predictions about her future, and was "cured" and able to relate to her mother exactly what she was experiencing before her treatment. Her hearing had been so sensitive that she could hear toilets flush in apartments way down the hall from her own. She could hear her blood coursing through her body. Through treatment (a 10 day process where she was put in a soundproof booth with headphones for 1/2 hour, with a break for 4 hours, and then another 1/2 hour with headphones), she was able to pull completely through her experience at the age of around 11. This may not speak to all situations, but it may be a huge ray of hope for many. I know that since my 4 year old grandson is in a developmental preschool in the public schools, I am going to request that he be given a hearing test to screen him for possible treatment. I do see him covering his ears at times when I don't notice any frequencies that are troubling to me, so that may be a clue, and might be for you as well.

I'll e anxious to hear if this "clicks" for any of you.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Curious Nana,

I found that book absolutely fascinating! I often think to myself that if a noise is annoying to me, how must my dog and cats hear it? It must register at least ten times as loud, and I have pretty sensitive hearing. That girl had the equivalent hearing of a cat-and it must have really been bothersome. I thought it was incredible how Georgie was able to recover after her AIT treatment. It helped a lot that she was able to verbalize that her hearing bothered her, but I think it could really be helpful to anyone. I also found it interesting that she was able to learn best in quiet environments. I think children are smarter and more adaptable than many people trained to work with them believe they are.

I think it is a great idea. I am all for hope and helping kids achieve their full potential. I believe it is never too late, but it is especially helpful when started young, before the children themselves even realize anything is different about them.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #14
(female)

Curious Nana HB User

I appreciated your response! That book is sticking with me....I'm thinking about so many broader applications. I have been an elementary teacher for 28 years, and have been so aware of the fact that the are students with hypersensitive hearing who are NOT diagnosed with autism. My somewhat crass phrase that I have likened their hearing to is noting that they have the ability "to hear a fly fart on the other side of the room." After reading this book, I'm thinking that, while I used to say that in a way that implied it was an exaggeration, it may very well be true! I have always tried to be aware of different learning styles with my students, recognizing that there are those who "prefer" to work in a quiet environment, I'm now suspecting that there are those who CAN"T work unless it is a quiet environment. In my training, I remember reading about kids who hear "the 3 am noises" and that it is wise to put headphones stuffed with cloth , or to play soft music in the background that will drown out the tapping pencils or the squeaking chairs or the passing traffic. But this goes well beyond that. My eyes are open........
I will be looking at my students through a different filter today....

Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Curious Nana,

I like your analogy! As the book says, sometimes small noises can be even more irritating than very loud ones. Georgie, for example, wasn't bothered by the subway, but the hissing of a drain drove her nuts. I find that I am more bothered by small noises than by people talking or cats meowing. In fact, the sound of my cats is music to my ears.

Closed Thread