It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User
Red dye #40 anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or theories or answers as to why Red dye #40 makes our two AS boys hyper and wired...Is is the leaky gut connection? So many mysteries to try and solve...

Old 04-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

AggieMom HB User
Re: Red dye #40 anyone?

I don't know why either and haven't heard any theories. I hope someone else has, because I'm tired of people looking at me like I'm crazy! I was thinking it was just my imagination!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

I don't know for sure but my son has developed an adverse reaction to Red Food Dye, exp # 40. he just turned six and it makes him ache and hurts his stomach and also makes him "mean" not agressive, but he is rude and all talk...LOL. NO MORE dye for him. I'm not sure if it has to do with Phenol or not, but my son really can't tollerate anything that is dark or heavy colored, even natural colors, chocolate, carrots things like that!

I also seen some results in my NT dd, it makes her hyper... so I really watch what she eats/drinks now. She is also showing some quick sugar highs..LOL

Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

A couple theories ...

The gut lining & the blood-brain barrier (BBB) arise from the same embryological tissue. Studies suggest that in some cases where the gut is compromised/leaky, the BBB is as well. So stuff that normally would not get into the blood stream is not only passing through the gut wall, but getting into brain blood circulation as well. So it is possible that if a "dual leaky" is occurring, then the dye is irritating the brain directly.

Another possibility is that the dye is messing with neurotransmitters and/or immune function in the gut, which may also affect brain function & behavior.

Modern medicine is only beginning to understand the gut, which beyond it's digestive functions, plays a huge role in immune function (the GALT system), and is a major manufacturer of neurotransmitters, equal to or surpassing, and interacting with, brain NT manufacture.

Don't worry about people who look at you like you are crazy. IME, a Mom who is confident about what works/what hurts for her child is respected. Some people will want to know more, but in most cases just a straightforward approach is best. If a doc questions, allude to observations, statistics (on behavior, if you have them) and elimination & challenge facts. That's generally well-accepted.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread