It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
(female)

MrsBlack HB User
Question Questions about homeschooling and Medicaid

Hello all! I have a few questions for you that I hope someone can answer.

1. Do any of you homeschool your autistic child? I have my son in preschool and will continue it through 1st grade and then I would like to homeschool him. I don't intend to isolate him from other children, so I plan on getting him involved with social activites/clubs outside of school.

2. If you have homeschooled your autistic child, did you find it was as good as/better than what a public school could provide? I'd be interested in any book referrals or web sites that have carriculums for kids with ASD.

3. My daughter who has Down Syndrome has something called the HCBS (Home and Community Based Services) waiver, through which she can receive medicaid regardless of my income, which is higher than what my state considers poverty level. Do children that have been diagnosed with Autism usually get approved for Medicaid?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Last edited by MrsBlack; 04-29-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User
Re: Questions

I wondered about homeschooling and then decided to put our kids in a charter school where they welcome ALOT of parental involvement. For my kids, they needed a break from me, and I from them. I can go to their school at any time and get involved.

Also, we are in the process of applying for SSI for our PDD-NOS son, so that he will automatically receive Medicaid. Where he is very high-functioning, I'm not sure what will happen. Our severely ASD son qualified within 4 months of applying which surprised me. It sure helps. Hope this helps a bit. My best to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
(female)

bercol1 HB User

I live in Scotland so don't know much about medicaid, but a great peice of advice I was given when filling out any benefit form was to tell it how it is for your child on there worst day, tell them all the things he struggles with etc. For some parents this is a difficult thing to do, as they feel they are somehow letting their child down but it's not the case.

Secondly i take my hat off to you for trying to home school. I did concider it for a while. I wrote a list of the pros and cons and found that the benefits of going to school outwayed the stay at home.
My biggest reason was, forming relationships, yes we can give them the opportunity to mix with others outside school, but the time spent with class freinds is so much more than just a once a week meet up at a club. Also people come and go from clubs and often children join clubs with their friends from school, making it even more difficult for our children to infultrate a group.
Also at my sons school he has music lessons and a shool orchestra and rock band, swimming lessons, a soft play area a football pitch with trained coaches they put on plays and musicals they have sports days, fundraising days. Friendship and sharing days the list goes on
All of these things i found hard to match

I also have to admit I get time on my own and visa versa. i think it does us both the world of good.
Take care
Bernadette

Last edited by bercol1; 05-03-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

sross24 HB User

My understanding about Medicaid and autism is that your child could get approved for it if their is risk that your child may someday have to be institutionalized. Obviously, none of us want that for our children. My sister is mentally retarded and has been on Medicaid all of her life. She, unfortunately, did end up in a pediatric nursing facility. She lived with my family until she was 10, but her medical problems became too intense for my family to handle. My sister needed constant medical care. She could not eat by mouth (she had a G-tube), she needed to be catheterized every so many hours, she needed frequent enemas, and she obviously wore diapers. She could not walk or talk, and when my mother accidently one day gave her the wrong dose of medication, that was the deciding factor for our family. My sister is now 35 years old and is doing very well. She is still in the same pediatric nursing facility, and we visit her their frequently.

Autism, though, is a lot different then what my sister has gone through. When most people think of institutionalized, it is not a pretty picture. Right now, we feel very capable of taking care of our special needs children, but we never know what the future will hold for them. It would not hurt to try applying for Medicaid for your child, and if you do qualify, it would be a great resource for helping your child get the treatment that is needed.

It seems like you are in a tough spot, having two children with special needs. I have four kids, two of which have PDD-NOS. Sometimes it is very overwhelming. Hang in there, and know that when you need support, that this is the place to come. Everyone here is so wonderful and have provided me with tons of support. I hope that we all can be that support network for you as well. Good luck, and keep us posted.

-Steph

Closed Thread