It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

Kolby HB User
It is Autism or just Sensory Disorder?

My son was diagnosed with Sensory Disorder way back when. Then I had him tested again and he was diagnosed with mild Autism. However, as time passes I don't see anything in him that seems Autistic. I see a ton of things that are sensory. Is it possible he has outgrown his Autism or never really had it? He is 4 1/2 now.

Things he does NOT do:
No ticks
No flapping
No staring at objects (unless you count TV )
No spinning objects
No toe walking
No blank stairs

Things he does
Great hand eye cordination
Smiles
Makes eye contact
He is shy to some people
Plays pretend
Wants others to play with him
Social and loving
Hugs and kisses
Pretends to read a book
Giggles
blows bubbles
Sings
Pets animals and talks to them

Things he does that seem more sensory to me
Speach Dealy
Fussy over food
Moody
Cranky
confused
Fussy over closes and socks sometimes
Poops in his pants and is afraid of the potty
Demanding
Freaks out a lot
Doesn't like crowds
Likes to change activities often but hates forced transitions
Likes to be carried down stairs
Likes ruff play
Likes to be wraped up in blankets

So what do you all think? Could he have outgrown Autism or maybe never really had it. He used to be obsessed with the Alphabet and puzzles but that has since gone. As I read more about sensory issues I have discovered that those obsessions can also be sensory issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: It is Autism or just Sensory Disorder?

If he is autistic, then he is probably very high-functioning. Not all people with ASDs are alike. A great deal of his problems do sound sensory in nature. Many intelligent, high functioning people report sensory problems. A lot of these are issues I also have. I dislike crowds and constrictive clothing.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CatMom
If he is autistic, then he is probably very high-functioning. Not all people with ASDs are alike. A great deal of his problems do sound sensory in nature. Many intelligent, high functioning people report sensory problems. A lot of these are issues I also have. I dislike crowds and constrictive clothing.

So what makes you autistic? Like what could I say is the autism and what can I say in the sensory issues?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
(female)

KathleenW HB User

There is not one thing that makes you autistic. You have to have a lot of things in a lot of different categories to get the diagnosis. I think the major things that make you have autism are problems with speech and sensory issues. Most people with autism are completely different so it hard to say one thing will give you the diagnosis.

So are you mostly concentrating your early interventions on speech therapy and occupational therapy?

I always tell people don't worry about the diagnosis. Just treat the symptoms as early as possible. The more you do early the better chance your child has to lead a normal life.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

here is probably an unpopular view and i have to tell you that i think that all of the treatments for autism are probably valid in a case by case basis BUT my husband and i are not cure autism actvists and we are definiately all about autism pride. our kids are able to think in a way that is so creative and abstract that is almost a shame that the neurotypicals cant share that. now with that on the table dont hate me i still think that if you can find something that works great but i dont personally feel that you can out grow autism. either he had it to begin with or he didnt. autism is a particular way your brain is wired to think and to me, it doesnt seem conceivable that you can out grow that. you can HOWEVER through medication or behavior training along with love and understanding and of course from time to time spirit draining patience give you kids the coping skills to live perfectly "normal" (whatever that means) lives and that may be just what you are seeing. he may get to the point that yes that label doesnt apply from a clinical point of view. does that mean he is cured or out grown his autism? to me, no. it means that what you have done worked, worked well, and now you son has the skills to deal with us "slow neurotypicals" and the offensive world we have created. you cant tell me that him wanting to shut the world out for a few and wrap up in a cozy blanket doesnt sound sooooo appealing sometimes

anyhow, just my point of view, no throwing rocks please!! and the thing to think about is this, if he is improving and getting more functionally then that label will remove itself. until then if it doesnt bother you too much, that label can make the difference in his funding for services too. autism is, in maine anyhow, the label that is getting the services first at school and since special education is very limited in funding, it doesnt hurt to have that little bit extra to draw attention to our kids needs. G-Luck

Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenW
There is not one thing that makes you autistic. You have to have a lot of things in a lot of different categories to get the diagnosis. I think the major things that make you have autism are problems with speech and sensory issues. Most people with autism are completely different so it hard to say one thing will give you the diagnosis.

So are you mostly concentrating your early interventions on speech therapy and occupational therapy?

I always tell people don't worry about the diagnosis. Just treat the symptoms as early as possible. The more you do early the better chance your child has to lead a normal life.

Yes, he gets OT and speech. He used to get behavioral too. He goes to an early intervention pre-school. But they said he's doing to well they would like to faze him out of there and do his therapy at a regular pre-school.

He can pronounce words just fine. He does talk just has trouble getting his point accross sometimes. Like he will say "Want to eat now Mom!" When I ask him what it is he wants to eat he will repeat "Want to eat." Or sometimes just Eat. So I have to ask him if he wants something "Do you want pancakes?" Then he will say yes or no. But other times he will say "I want a cookie." He had a ton of ear infections first two years of life. That is when we went for tubes. Some of his problems with speech could have been from all the fluid in his ears. Not hearing us well. But people with sensory disorders also can have speech problems. But today if you call his name he says "What?" He points to things and shows you toys but has trouble telling you about his day. It's not like you can hold a conversation with him. "Hi, how was your day? OH good Mom I played baseball and painted, it was fun." He will tell you when he is sad "I'm crying." So his speech isn't where it should be but at least he does use what he can. He only get's 30 minutes of it a week. I'd like him to get 40 hours. But because he is in their preschool he gets a lot of it already.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
(female)

KathleenW HB User

Hi Liz. No I will not throw rocks, but I feel not getting treatment for autism is the worst thing you can do. Before we did ABA and speech therapy my son could not communicate.

I feel my ABA consultant said it best. She said a lot of people think ABA is mean, but if your child can not communicate how will they have a good quality of life.

My little boy is the happiest guy in the world. He is in the top 2 of his kindergarten academically. His behavior is perfect and he has a lot of good friends. When we started ABA at age 2 and a half his speech and cognitive levels were at a 16 month level. He had constant melt downs and could not function unless everything was done his way.

If we had done nothing I can not imagine the horror of his future. I also 100% agree that you can not OUTGROW AUTISM. Those are the exact words the doctor's told me when we brought my son back for his reevaluation. People with autism are different because their brains are different. ABA rewires your brain so you can learn like a neuro typical child. My son was diagnosed with mild autism and I am so thankful that we spent two and a half years helping him.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
(female)

Kolby HB User

I'm sure there are great things about the Autistic mind. I just don't see them in my son. I can not relate.
I used the wrong words when I said Outgrow Autism. The truth is, in my gut and my heart, I sometimes don't think he ever had it. So what I should have said was that he was missdiagnoised. But there are so many overlapping this going on. And yes, the Autism label has gotten some attention. He is mild so maybe that is why I don't see a lot of Autistic symptoms going on with him.

What is ABA? How many hours did you or do you get for your son. How many hours of speech?

I do a lot for my son and try to give him the things he needs to comfort him and calm him, but I want him to learn how to do this too. Mommy can't do it all.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

Kathleen W.

our son recieves 30 plus hours of services a week. i didnt say that we dont do anything for him, i did say that "curing" him is not going to happen because autism is not a disease but just a rewiring of the brain. he will never be able to have the bland functioning brain that i do. but on the same token, we are not willing to take away his happiness to make him look normal for the sakes of other people's comfort. if his behavior isnt harmful to himself or others or doesnt interfer with his day to day life why "fix" it?

isaac does ABA and it doesnt make him able to think like me... it makes him able to understand me... now if only we could understand him more but isaac is SEVERELY autisic and if he had no treatment he would have had to been institutionalized by now.

all i meant was that isaac is autistic, isaac is ok autistic, he doesnt have to change, he only needs to learn how to function in our world enough so that life doesnt hurt so much.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Michelle,

I haven't been on the boards much lately, but checked in tonight and saw your post. I too feel my son is mild PDD-NOS because he does so well and often times I question the diagnosis. But the facts are that he HAS the communication problems and the sensory issues that make the diagnosis what it is. It sounds like Kolby does too, as mild as it may be, it sounds like it's there. I hope you're not angry with me for saying so.

Look at the diagnosis as a tool to help get additional services to best manage the symptoms of PDD in order to help your son overcome or learn to self manage the symptoms.

As a parent ( especially a mother ) it's a completey normal to feel the roller coaster of emotions that go along with Autism. I have found it to be such a strange disorder where at times (most times in fact) my son "seems" perfectly typical and then there are the times like an unexpected change that will throw him off and he may then have an off couple of days. I find in his case, the sensory piece is the biggest contributor to the whole disorder.

The sensory piece seems to control how he processes his throughts and ultimately how he communicates. If he is in a sensory seeking mode, it affects everything about him. I have also noticed with Jeffrey that when he is about to develop some new skills his sensory issues heighten, language skills and eye contact seems to decrease and then he will have a major developmental blast with great language and eye contact and practically no sensory stuff ????

I know all the kids present in different ways but in my opinion it sounds like Kolby has similarities to my son. I believe my son has HFA however has to skills to succeed and have a normal adult life because he is learning coping techniques for the sensory issues and is being taught to overcome the symptoms that get in his way. ( thanks to his diagnosis )

Well .... I've rambled enough... By the way, that was a great poem you posted. Talk to you soon.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Kathleen,

I agree with you. Early intervention is the key. I think the most painful part of ASDs for a high-functioning person is the knowledge they are somehow "different." I haven't had a formal diagnosis of Asperger's, but I feel I have a lot of the traits. It hurt to know I was different from other kids. I was fortunate in that I was intelligent and got good grades in school, but I was very lacking in the social areas of life.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #12
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys mom
Michelle,

I haven't been on the boards much lately, but checked in tonight and saw your post. I too feel my son is mild PDD-NOS because he does so well and often times I question the diagnosis. But the facts are that he HAS the communication problems and the sensory issues that make the diagnosis what it is. It sounds like Kolby does too, as mild as it may be, it sounds like it's there. I hope you're not angry with me for saying so.

Look at the diagnosis as a tool to help get additional services to best manage the symptoms of PDD in order to help your son overcome or learn to self manage the symptoms.

As a parent ( especially a mother ) it's a completey normal to feel the roller coaster of emotions that go along with Autism. I have found it to be such a strange disorder where at times (most times in fact) my son "seems" perfectly typical and then there are the times like an unexpected change that will throw him off and he may then have an off couple of days. I find in his case, the sensory piece is the biggest contributor to the whole disorder.

The sensory piece seems to control how he processes his throughts and ultimately how he communicates. If he is in a sensory seeking mode, it affects everything about him. I have also noticed with Jeffrey that when he is about to develop some new skills his sensory issues heighten, language skills and eye contact seems to decrease and then he will have a major developmental blast with great language and eye contact and practically no sensory stuff ????

I know all the kids present in different ways but in my opinion it sounds like Kolby has similarities to my son. I believe my son has HFA however has to skills to succeed and have a normal adult life because he is learning coping techniques for the sensory issues and is being taught to overcome the symptoms that get in his way. ( thanks to his diagnosis )

Well .... I've rambled enough... By the way, that was a great poem you posted. Talk to you soon.
It is always so good to hear from you. I agree with everything you said. I just think they have put too many kids into a classification of Autism. I believe the key to most of his problems is to help him cope with his senses.
Then the speech can start to flow better. But I'm glad he got the dgs because he get's services that are wonderful. I'm not ashamed of him being Autistic and I don't hide it, I just question it. Hey I wrote another poem from Kolby's point of view. I think anyway.

Michelle

Closed Thread