It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

christine1115 HB User
education difficulty tips and rights

hi. my sister told me about this site. i reviewed alot of postings. my son is 10 with autism . he also has a heart condition seizures etc, he is served in special education in florida, and yes it sure is special !
ive read about state laws towns etc, basically all our kids in or even recieving apecial education services meaning haveing an iep or even just supports served in reg ed are protected under idea which are governed by federal laws and they and the parents are protected under ada so long as the child has a disability, any disability, not just autism. my son started pre-k at age 3 in public school, where basically he has learned nothing but to be restrained, locked in tiny rooms or strapped to chairs, sits in his own urine and feces, etc. i have fought for years, he has a 1-1 aide actually he has 2 of them, it really doesnt make a differance if they dont want to do it. i havent quite figured it our but the schools recieve federal funds, they dont use our kids funds just for them its used for the schools, i have requested my son go to a school that better meets his needs, but they are not willing to do this as of yet regardless of all the publicity my sons case has gotten, and the sanctions the dept. of ed has given them, i hired an attny, they still do this stuff.
my son comes home with bruises from restraints by staff, they get away with it because out kids dont make good witnesses, ive actually been told this. anyway, parents have to attend every meeting, document everything, legally you can tape record the iep meeting, inform them you will be recording your meeting, they will as well but that is ok, i have found ths helps alot, after every conversation i submit a follow up letter to who i spoke with verifying the discusion, also i take pics of bruising, i demand incident reports, if your child is not makeing progress academically, get an independent academic test, not a psychoeducational, an ACADEMIC, that will show what the school is teaching verses what they say, they tell me my son is an honor student in 4th grade, how come he cant add or subtract, i thought that was a first grade skill?, he cant tell time, tie his shoes, but whatever.
our kids have civil rights, they can not segregate them, my sons school thought they could put him in his own classroom with just his aide all day, well maybe back in the 1800's but not these days. anyway if you have any question i will be more than happy to help the best i can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Brandiof4 HB User
Re: education difficulty tips and rights

What the hell!!! Exuse me! I have too many complaints with the school system, I don't know whare to start. I started my 5 year old with the school system at 3 years as well. He only went that year for I didn't feel welcomed at all. I am a very envolved mom who wanted to learn what they were teaching so I can teach Cadence at home. Well they acted like I was checking up on them! Which that is what it turned into because they were so weird. Well I didn't let him go back the next year. I want him to go to school but his new school is already doing the same thing and we have only talked on the phone. I asked if we can come visit to see the place and let Cadence experience it slowly well they haven't returned my calls. It's been about 3 months of me trying to get an appointment. I hate it! Cadence can't tell me how they treat them and I won't let him go to a place I am not comfortable with even if that means my family has live on one income forever! We have a speach therapist who is wonderfull. She works US very well. I sit and watch from time to time so I can learn too! She is my teacher as well. Unfortunatlly I have to fight hard every year to keep her for Far nothern regional wants Cadence in public School.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
(female)

Liz Cook HB User
Re: education difficulty tips and rights

i hate reading that kind of crap! i worked in adult services for almost 5 years before my son was diagnosed and there are horror stories galore. christine1115 as i am sure you are i would sue the hell out of that school. and apparently you havent got a ton better brandiof4 but you have rights. my son will be having 2 one on ones and i will be transporting him to and from school specifically to be able to have daily contact with them. isaac is non-verbal and it is imparative that i know what is going on. the school said that they would be using a communication log but that it would be good to have that face to face time as well. i have been very fortunate as far as services go around here. but remember you have rights as a parent and the school has obligations. you are the guardian and the school has to respect you. christine1115 that type of restiction is totally illegal without a plan in place and from the sounds of even if there was a plan in place... anyhow either which way not toileting him is abuse and neglect that school deserves to be shut down. keep us posted on your case.

Closed Thread