It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

heather06 HB User
Link between Autism and Epilepsy?

I was diagnosed at age 4 with epilepsy, put on medicine for epilepsy then. Nephew was recently diagnosed with Autism, and reading into it have a lot of same symptoms. The medicine i take for epilepsy, can be taken to help with autism. I don't like it when people touch me, it feels like i am getting shocked, lights hurt my eyes constantly, espically strobe lights, and noises that arent loud to most people drive me nuts, I was wondering how close these two disorders are because they sound to have similar characteristics now that i have read into both. Not all epilepsy patients have seizures, i havent had one in years, makes me wonder if i have been misdiagnosed...anyone know how close these two are?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: Link between Autism and Epilepsy?

I have a mild seizure disorder (fortunately controlled by medication) and suspect I have some Asperger's traits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

you may have been on the spectrum all a long and are high enough functioning to not have been noticed. our pediatrician told when isaac was diagnosed with autism that 1 in 4 people with autism develope epilepsy so we have to keep an eye out for seizures. so i would say that the two neurological disorders are likely to come up in the same genetic pool if there is a predisposition for either of them. as far as autism goes... its EVERYWHERE 1 in every 166 births now produce an autistic child. in 1980 that number was 1 in every 10,000 births so one has to wonder... is it an epidemic or the start of evolution? food for thought anyhow

Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Cook
is it an epidemic or the start of evolution? food for thought anyhow
Possibly a problem with statistics ?

I have HFA/AS and they're trying to figure out if I have a seizure disorder (possible TLE). And 1 in 4? good to know

As for actual misdiagnosis of symptoms between Autism and Epilepsy, it is hard to confuse the two. What you describe though, sounds like Sensory Integration Dysfunction. Which almost every autistic person has SID.

You could very likely have both. Especially because a person with a seizure disorder can not have seizures for a long while, especially if they are on medications.

SGH

Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
Possibly a problem with statistics ?

hey, that's yet another theory my husband i have too i am also under the impress that a shirt i saw might be right too... it said "isnt everyone autistic?", personally i am voting for the later the whole NT thing MUST be a myth! how could such mundane people really exist okay, its offical its bedtime... now i am just getting silly!

Closed Thread