It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
(female)

sallzyx HB User
hypotonia (floppy baby syndrome)/aspergers link?

Please post if your child has hypotonia and also an ASD diagnosis.
(It is where their ligaments are very loose [what used to be called double-jointed], muscles take a long time to react to stimuli, and picking them up is like carrying a sack of potatoes, because they don't move with you. They hit their physical milestones late, or on the late end of normal.)

Ds (2 1/2 yrs old) has been diagnosed with hypotonia, and someone on the hypotonia board said it can be related to aspergers (which we suspect), but I haven't found any actual info on the relationship.

My dh also has hypotonia, and he has all the physical (and other) symptoms of AS- odd gait, odd pronunciation, poor handwriting, etc.

Last edited by sallzyx; 05-31-2006 at 12:59 AM. Reason: need to rephrase my question

Old 05-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: hypotonia (floppy baby syndrome)

my son was diagnosed hypotonia when he was a little fella. It eventually resolved itself with Physical therapy. He's 4 now and you can barely tell that he had it, he's still very cautious when trying new things and has issues with his balance a little bit. We recently had our evaluation and he was diagnosed with having emotional/behavioural issues not autistim,asperger's,pdd/nos like I had suspected.

I'm true believer in therapy does your son recieve therapy????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
(female)

Tina81980 HB User

Hello...My Aspergers son wasn't dx with hypotonia, but I have a 13 month old daughter that is, and even though she is young we think she may be headed down the ASD road with her. She has a 50% delay in speech, she has added 3 new words in the past few weeks but she seems to have forgotten how to say daddy. She hasn't said it for over a week and when I prompt her to it comes out daaadooo. So I'm not sure. She also has some sensory issues, she headbangs almost non-stop and has started biting herself. She recieves PT, SP, & OT weekly so we are hoping she "outgrows" these behaviors. Thank You for asking this question as I was wondering the same thing.
Tina

Old 05-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

sallzyx HB User

Yes, we are paying for private PT now, while we wait for the Regional Center evaluation. We tried to get OT first, but they were booked and referred us to our PT. She's been really good so far.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

in our offline support group we found out that that is VERY common in ASD people and that it often a symptom of it. i asked our OT and she agreed and told us that our son had that (mildly though). we only learned that isaac had that a week before his OT suggested a PT eval. so yes, i would say there is a strong link.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

There may be a link but also check into family history, My son went through all the therapies, and evals etc. I was told when he aprrox 12mnths that he may autistic, than at 18mnths I was told he may be pdd/nos. Now at 4 they think all his issues are emotional/behavioral although they want me to get him an MRI simply because he was hypotonia at birth.I forgot to mention so was I My mom called me the boneless baby. I would say investigate family history too.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User

Our almost 3 year old son has hypotonia, developmental delay, and autistic tendencies. Our 7 year old son is PDD-NOS with autistic tendencies, but never had hypotonia. (although he is fascinated when someone is double jointed and very flexible...he gets obsessed with it, trying to make his own body that way...!!)

Old 06-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

here's a question... and i am going to ask isaac's OT about it tomorrow... BUT!

isaac is almost 5 and still chews and sucks on his toes so he has kept his flexability and his OT has said that he has hypotonia tendancies but three times this past week he has come over to me complaining in his intent non-verbal way of pain and was showing me the webbing between his thumb and index finger on his right hand. yesterday he got hysterical about it... finally i pulled on his thumb (we have been snapping his toes like that because he thinks the cracking noise is silly) and manipulated the joint and found out that it way out of place where the thumb connects to the hand. he is left handed so has less muscle tone in his right hand... do you think that it could be that the tendons are too loose and letting his thumb slide out of place? or could it be something totally unrelated to hypotonia? its a annoying anyhow because it causes him a good deal of pain and it took quite a little while to figure out... and now i have to make sure that everyone that he works with knows that he has this little problem in case he starts complaining of pain that they can not figure out because by just looking you wouldnt know... ah, the joys of parenting

Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
(female)

sallzyx HB User

Hi Liz,
What you are describing doesn't sound like anything my son has at all, and he has very, very loose ligaments. Nothing slides out of place like that or causes him any pain. If you bend a finger or thumb back, it is like a rubber chicken. It doesn't even feel like there is a bone in there, really.

Are you sure he didn't dislocate it or something? Please keep us posted.
Sally

Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
(male)

madwasper2 HB User

My son when he was little would jump and jump while i was holding him he could not walk but he could jump. He also would stiffen out and want to throw himself backwords as anyone else exsperienced this with their austic children.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
(female)

sallzyx HB User

Madwasper2,
I definitely don't have experience with that because my son cannot jump at all yet.
I do know an autistic child who jumps a lot, though. He also walks, but on his tiptoes a lot. I believe, but I am not certain, that hyper (not hypo) tonia causes the toewalking. The muscles get the message from the brain too quickly, and they don't have time to relax before the next message comes, causing them to get very overstimulated. I am not absolutely sure, but I remember reading something about it in passing when I was reading about hypotonia. Our neurologist mentioned to me that she expected my son to have this problem instead, according to his other symptoms, but somehow it is the opposite. But both seem to have something to do with the circuitry between muscle and brain.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
(female)

Liz Cook HB User

isaac's fingers bend back too and the ot was commenting on that... she said that she didnt think it was related and that it probably was a dislocation and considering how active isaac is it was bound to happen at some point.

Closed Thread