It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
(female)

Swansong HB User
Hello...

Hi everyone. I've been reading here for a little while. A lot of what everyone talks about is helping me a lot, thanks..

I have recently been reading a lot about autism because I suspect that my 4 (nearly 5) yr old has this. It all really started when his kindergarten teacher told me that she has requested the school psychologist come into class and observe him because she wants to find out what is going on with him. So far she has requested a hearing test and that came up with two tones that he can't hear in his left ear, we have a full audiologist assessment coming up in July.

His teacher told me that she is having problems getting him to take in what she is saying, like she talks to him or gives him instruction and in her words, it is like it hits a wall in his mind and it takes him a while for it to connect and understand what she is saying. She must repeat 3-4 times or rephrase what she is saying to him. I talked to a few people about it conversation and some told me that it sounds a bit like autism, so I got to reading and so many things about my son's behaviour over the years seemed to fall into place. I had already begun grieving because my son seems different and I didn't know what was going on with him and wondered what his future life will hold. So when I found out about the symptoms, it was more a feeling of relief that there is an explanation and there is ways that we can help him now that we understand.

I've expressed this to some more family and friends and I keep getting people telling me that he'll catch up, he's probably just developmentally behind... I'm sick of hearing this though, we've been telling ourselves those words for years. I wish I had known about what autism is before now as I would have been and gotten him evalutated.

My problem now is that I'm hesitant about telling my thoughts to a doctor because I think they will also say that not to worry and he'll probably just catch up. He would be on the higher functioning end of the spectrum. In the past 6 months, he has begun to be able to carry out small conversations. We still can't really reason with him. My husband has been saying for so long how he would just like to have a conversation with him and I think they had one of their first proper ones last week. He can carry out conversations about things that interest him, but is hazy on other things. It's like he doesn't know how to do it or he just nods and says "yeah"

I don't know if you are all interested in my list of symptoms I've noticed in him so far, if you are, I'll post them, but even reading here confirms things, even down to the point of taking off all of his clothes to go to the toilet and do a poo! I have tried to push him to remain dressed at least to keep his tshirt on, but he is very adamant that he can't do that, so now I just leave him alone about it. He wasn't fully potty trained until 3.5, close to 4 years old too. It was a long hard road. He would cry and say he was scared when I would put him on the toilet.

Since reading all about this, I've pretty much stopped yelling at him. This really used to set him off and make things worse. I am a yeller, when the kids stress me out, I yell at them. But I'm learning new ways now and it is encouraging because it is helping him stay more calm. I've also stopped tv from being on from 5pm. We have big problems getting him to go to bed and sleep at night. He can be up until midnight. But not watching t.v. and not playfighting with his Dad before bed is making a big difference most nights. He's been to sleep soon after bedtime more than half the time in the last two weeks. We're shocked and happy!

I guess that is all for now. Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

sross24 HB User
Re: Hello...

Welcome to the board. I hope you can find some support here. I'm a mom of four children. Two of them have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. My 6 year old daughter, and my 20 month old son. My 6 year old sounds similiar to your son. We always knew something was different about her, but could never quite figure out what it was. It was not until she was 5 years old that I got a Dr. to take me seriously. The waiting lists for evaluations are so long, so get on one as soon as you can. My daughter and son were both diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician. Good luck to you.

-Steph

Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
(female)

AggieMom HB User
Re: Hello...

Welcome, I've been rather busy with some family health issues, but your post caught my eye. I always like to mention Melatonin to parents who are having sleep issues because until our sons developemental pediatrition told us about it we had never heard of it and spent quite a few nights sleeping in front of our sons door to keep him from "wandering". It doesn't work for everyone, but so far I haven't heard anything bad about it. It's a supplement that can be bought at most drug stores or health food stores. We used to be able to find it in liquid form and put in a cup of milk (well, almond milk since he can't take regular or soy) about 1/2 an hour before "bed time". Now we crush up the tablets and put them in his drink. In about 30min he crawls into bed and sleeps through the night. He tends to like quiet, dark places (if his older brother is watching tv he we might find him under a pile of blankets in the game room where we have a big pillow he likes to lay on or under the covers and pillows in our room). We have not had any trouble "relocating" him to his bed without him being able to settle back down immediately. So, I would suggest looking into it if you are still having problems and see if it's something you would want to try. If what you are doing is working, I wouldn't worry about it. Good Luck (and Good Nights!)

Closed Thread