It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
(female)

Dolceaura HB User
Ultrasound and Autism Link Found

Since the late 80's, Ultrasounds and Autism have both been on the rise. I personally had numerous ultrasounds due to my Gestational Diabetes. (My 3 and half year old son has been dx autistic.) I found this article to be very interesting.
WASHINGTON - Exposure to ultrasound can affect fetal brain development, a new study suggests.... When pregnant mice were exposed to ultrasound, a small number of nerve cells in the developing brains of their fetuses failed to extend correctly in the cerebral cortex....Rakic's paper said that while the effects of ultrasound in human brain development are not yet known, there are disorders thought to be the result of misplacement of brain cells during their development.
"These disorders range from mental retardation and childhood epilepsy to developmental dyslexia, autism spectrum disorders and schizophrenia," the researchers said....Our study in mice does not mean that use of ultrasound on human fetuses for appropriate diagnostic and medical purposes should be abandoned," said lead researcher Pasko Rakic, chairman of the neurobiology department at Yale University School of Medicine.
However, he added in a telephone interview, women should avoid unnecessary ultrasound scans until more research has been done.
Their report is in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Hmmmm.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Dolceaura For This Useful Post:
mcsf (12-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
(female)

soozeq HB User
Re: Ultrasound and Autism Link Found

Just as a note, if we're keeping track. I had a head CAT scan when I was about 3 weeks pregnant (didn't know it yet), followed by surgery under general anestethic and 4 pre-natal ultra-sounds. Sounds like a lot of radiation for one little fetus, doesn't it? But, who really knows. There are so many theories.

Suzy

Liam's happy faces:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

I have always wondered about this myself. I had 7 ultrasounds with Blake and he is autistic. The only thing that confuses me and scares me at the same time is that I also had 7 ultrasounds with Joshua and he (so far) seems to be an NT 9 month old. I am so glad they are diving into the research head first now, we need answers............

Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

lizz554 HB User

I also had gestational diabetes with Turner not to mention a false-positive AFP test. Tons of ultrasounds later the assured me everything was fine. He also had a head ct at 3 weeks of age from an accident at home. Really makes me wonder (and adds to that all consuming Mom guilt). Now I'm going to be even more worried about my 10 month old who so far ( fingers crossed) is nt. Had diabetes with her also and also many ultrasounds including several high definition ones b/c of a suspected heart defect (unfounded thank goodness). I have to tell you guys this post really freaks me out and gives me soooo much anxiety!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

gotitbad HB User

I too had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies, mild toximia and about 5 ultrsounds with my 1st and 10 with my 2nd (twins). I have never heard this before, but would like to know more. By the way, my older son (1st pregnancy) and twin boy (2nd pregnancy) are on the autistic spectrum with ADHD. My twin daughter (2nd pregnancy) has OCD and maybe bipolar. Please share any additional information you find!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

sross24 HB User

I too find this interesting. I had numerous ultrasounds with all of my kids. In fact, we used to joke around with the techs telling them that we could read the ultrasounds better than they could because we had so many. I had at least 5 ultrasounds with each pregnancy. I hope that science figures this out soon. Is it possible that we can prevent autism in future generations, and give our kids the chance of having healthy kids of their own?

-Steph

Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
(female)

gsmom HB User

I only had two ultrasounds with my first son (HFA) but I was made to have an MRI during the pregnancy. Even though I was reasured it couldn't hurt him something told me not to do it but the hospital said that if I didn't have one done they would not give me an epidural during labour. Yikes. I was so young and stupid then. I wonder if MRI's can do any damage?

gsmom

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

It may be premature to be blaming yourselves, Moms. Remember that many, many Moms had ultrasounds -- not just the small % that ended up with kids on the spectrum.

I didn't have any ultrasounds at all w/my DS. He did have a shock reaction to pertussis vaccine, and I believe that is what did him in.

In the future, we may find that there are subsets on the spectrum, different causes for similar symptoms. It's that way for many diseases.

I have several decks of Bad Mommy cards. You tend to collect them through the years with a special needs child. But by & large, I haven't found that playing solitaire with them night & day has been helpful. Better to expend energies playing the Good Mommy game.

Best wishes.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
(female)

EBoegel HB User

Just to throw off the curve, I only had one ultrasound with my daughter and she is autistic. Also, no known genetic link and no known 'trauma' during pregnancy. She's also always been healthy and has had no problems before this.

And just to keep things interesting, my son, who has leukemia, is the same. Always healthy, no genetic link, no known anything to explain it.

I know we WANT a reason for all that is happening to our children, but we just might not ever get it, and I find it more helpful to focus on what will help them now. Otherwise I think I'd go mad.

Elizabeth

The Following User Says Thank You to EBoegel For This Useful Post:
Twinma (07-24-2011)
Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

I was born in an era where ultrasound was not available and I suspect I have Asperger's. What could have been the explanation then?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
(female)

lizharlan HB User

I am in the same position as EBoegel. I am going to throw a curve into to this also. I only had one ultrasound with my autistic daughter, Cara. I actually had several ultrasounds with my older daughter, Josie (NT).

And yet, does it matter what caused Cara's autism? I can't go back in time and change it. I can only go forward and work with.

Of course, there is also the issue of working to help prevent autism in the future - if that is possible.

Liz H.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
(female)

soozeq HB User

Hi all

I think that this is a debate that could be looked at from so many angles. Autism existed before ultrasound - no debate. Autism has increased massively in recent history, or at least the autism dx has. Could there be a correlation. Is autism genetic, or is it caused by trauma, ultrasound, vaccinations or diet? Are our children pre-disposed, with an outside influence needed to bring out the symptoms? Some of us are convinced our children were born with ASD while others remeber a definite regression. Who knows. I agree with Liz. We can't change it now. But, what if we could, would we want to? Right now, personally, I'm focused on doing the best we can with Liam's current potential. That keeps me (sort-of) sane.

But, I'll tell you, I sure would like to know, anyway.

I could go on all day...

Suzy

Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozeq
We can't change it now. But, what if we could, would we want to?
I agree. I'm one of those who isn't really for a cure for autism. I hope that there's a lot better treatments for those with Kanner's in the future, so that they can be high-functioning, but I'm against completely getting rid of autistics. They bring certain personality traits and strengths that are quite beneficial in the world. I would never wish away my Asperger's- it makes me who I am, and it has enabled me to get where I currently am in life.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
(female)

lizharlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
I agree. I'm one of those who isn't really for a cure for autism. I hope that there's a lot better treatments for those with Kanner's in the future, so that they can be high-functioning, but I'm against completely getting rid of autistics. They bring certain personality traits and strengths that are quite beneficial in the world. I would never wish away my Asperger's- it makes me who I am, and it has enabled me to get where I currently am in life.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
Yeah! I agree with this. I have often said that I do not want to change Cara. Help her function in this world - YES! But change who she is or her personality - never. Cara is so happy being Cara. Yes, we have our rough moments when the autism gets ugly, but other times the autism is an amazing, unique way of dealing with the world. And I have to admit that some of Cara's traits aren't all that off base to me - I certainly don't like crowds! And Cara doesn't let what the world "thinks" about her get to her. Maybe it is her age, but I sure wish I could do that. Just be happy with me as me and forget what the rest of the world says! Meltdowns aren't fun, but Cara sure is!

Liz H.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Gatsby,

Like you, I would not change the basic things about myself. There are a lot of positive things I would not want to lose. I just want to improve myself and conquer obstacles I still face.

Closed Thread