It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

Canadiangal HB User
Do some "normal" kids rock and flap too?

Hi all,
My 3 1/2 year old boy loves to rock on occasion and does flap his hands when he is excited. I was told that this is "stimming." I am not really sure what this means. Needless to say, I am worried as flapping and rocking comes up under Autism when you type it in google. Why does he do this?
How do I get him to stop doing this?
Thanks...

Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Do some "normal" kids rock and flap too?

my son didn't rock but did and still does flap his hands when he has to go tothe bathroom or is excited about something. He just had his last evaluation and he's not even on the spectrum. He was thought ot be either autistic or PDD/NOS but isn't

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

winter2005 HB User

liamsmom,
Can you tell me a little bit about your son? Did he have any verbal issues, behavioural issues, what intervention did you do?

It is wonderful to hear how your son may no longer be on the spectrum! I would love to hear more about your experiences so I too can learn from them.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Canadiangal,
It is normal for kids to rock. A carryover from the womb. We rocked them as infants. The question is, how much rocking is going on, and under what circumstances. Can you "bring your child out" & chat when he is rocking, or is he totally immersed in his own world.

Neurotypical kids rock! They rock when they're bored ... or to soothe themselves, or listening to music, or reading a poem, or when watching TV. Usually by around age 5, they've figured out that you don't rock in some circumstances, like when your parents or teacher are talking to you.

And NT kids can hand-flap! Often when they are excited, it just overflows. Or when they have hurt something -- fingers, yes, but even a stubbed toe can lead to overflow handflapping. But, NT kids don't do hand-flapping extensively for entertainment, for lack of a better word.

The most telling signs of autism have to do with language development & social skill development. There are lots of "habits" that NT kids have that could in some circumstances be considered stims -- but IMO whether or not they actually are stims is a matter of degree and context.

HTH.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Winter, my son had sensory issues he'd scream interror when I used the vacuum(SP?), ambulances.polices cars etc., he'd scream when someone new entered my house, he didn't walk until he was 19 months old, he didn't talk except mama papa until I can't even remember maybe 2 ish, he would only play with his cars watch them roll back and forth, flapped his hands when agitated, excited. He did have good eye contact and responded to his name and smiled, he did point to things, he had food allergies, he had hypotonia on his left side.He was never interested in other kids he seemed scared of them. I started him with early intervention around 16mths old I believe he was diagnosed delayed 33% in all areas. So he had PT,OT,ST, and special instructions each 30 min 2 times a week. He's now 4 1/2 and starting in an intergrated class because he still has some physical delays but his last evaluation said he's not on the spectrum. I'm exhausted but overjoyed I feel like I made it across the finish line of the longest race ever but I'd do it again and again because of the outcome and I wish every single parent on this board could be as lucky as me they have been such a support system to me to which I am eternally grateful.
I hope I answered your questions good luck

Last edited by Liamsmom; 08-18-2006 at 06:41 AM.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
(female)

LeeannaL HB User

It could be a tic.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
(female)

Grandma Joyce HB User

I am new to this board but not to Autism. I rasied my son back before most people heard of Autism. Thanks to PBS TV (no internet back then) we found a name for it.
Our son & until he had the springs in his bed and the couch broken. I would tell him to get off one thing and he ran to the other.When he wasn't on something he stood on the floor and jumped. bounced his head, flopped his hands, ignored most people and lived in his own little world. What was common knowledge to others had to be taught to him. And yet in some ways he was smart. He could read and spell better than most kids his age. I had times tables on 45RMP (most of you probably don't remember those.) He listened and memorized those so that helped him w/Math, once he got the idea of it. He had/has a teriffic memory.

He could mimmich what he heard but didn't have a clue as to what it meant.
I worked with him with phonics and teaching him things like this is a CHAIR etc.
No eye contact, Unless he knew he would get candy, and then looked away as soon as he had swallowed it.

He hated change, still does, it upsets him.
But to make a long story short, he is now 39 and works as a Dish Washer in a sit down resturant. A job he has had since in HS it was part of his schooling.

He can take care of himself but we only leave him home alone (he does not like going places) for a couple of hours. If an emergency arose it would be hard to tell what he would do. Once I ask him if he would want to be home alone if there was a fire. He said "NO" I ask if he wanted to go with us then. He said, "If there is a fire" He don't use any more words than he has to.

Have a hard time getting him outside at all.
Loves music, and cars and looking at pretty girls pictures.

Anyway that is a little on how an autistic person acts.

Grandma,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom
Winter, my son had sensory issues he'd scream interror when I used the vacuum(SP?), ambulances.polices cars etc., he'd scream when someone new entered my house, he didn't walk until he was 19 months old, he didn't talk except mama papa until I can't even remember maybe 2 ish, he would only play with his cars watch them roll back and forth, flapped his hands when agitated, excited. He did have good eye contact and responded to his name and smiled, he did point to things, he had food allergies, he had hypotonia on his left side.He was never interested in other kids he seemed scared of them. I started him with early intervention around 16mths old I believe he was diagnosed delayed 33% in all areas. So he had PT,OT,ST, and special instructions each 30 min 2 times a week. He's now 4 1/2 and starting in an intergrated class because he still has some physical delays but his last evaluation said he's not on the spectrum. I'm exhausted but overjoyed I feel like I made it across the finish line of the longest race ever but I'd do it again and again because of the outcome and I wish every single parent on this board could be as lucky as me they have been such a support system to me to which I am eternally grateful.
I hope I answered your questions good luck

Old 08-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

OrbieKL5 HB User

"Stimming" just means that your child is attempting to stimulate himself, or fulfill some sensory need of his. Lots of kids rock, flap hands, do quick finger movements, tap things, flick toys around, etc etc.

It is a typical symptom of the autism spectrum. If he's having trouble socially or is delayed in language, I would get him evaluated. Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

To answer your question, yes; normal kids stim too. Rocking and flapping is just a stim when they get overwhelemed. Everybody stims, no matter what people say. Its just that rocking and flapping are the typical autistic stims, but it doesnt mean he is autistic. As said, if you see behavioral or developmental delays or troubles I would seek professional help. But understand normal kids stim too!

SGH

Old 08-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Grandma Joyce, welcome to the boards. It will be great to get the percpective of a mother of an autistic adult.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
(female)

Holly_WA HB User

I think of the stimming as something we all do-------I always---tap my foot.
Or jiggle my legs at the computer.
It's anxiety or just a way to relieve stress.
My 6y son never started hand flapping until about 6yo after we took him off of bipolar meds. His anxiety really showed up then. Before that--he did run around tables making noises and always finger twisting.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Fear of the vacuum cleaner is very common. The noise level of some vacuums make them impossible for me to use because it drives me nuts. Many dogs and cats are understandably afraid of vacuum cleaners as well, which I can see. If we hear it loud, imagine how loud our pets hear it. People with ASDs can experience cat-like hearing, and it can literally drive some people crazy.

Closed Thread