It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #31
(female)

Molliemae HB User
Re: FDA approves Autism medication!!!!

Now I'm very worried,

my 15 yr old is going through such an aggressive phase (hopefully a phase) he has been on 1.75mgs rispirdal since he was 10 started on a smaller dose, he did gain weight but I started special diet with him two years ago, sugar and dairy free (gluten will happen at some stage in the future) so his weight stabalised.

I have been wanting him off the meds, and we did start to take down his intake, but his behaviour got a tad irritable (don't think it was to do totally with taking his meds down because we only got to 1.25 mgs a day)anyway in the last two months the aggression has set in... lots of different reasons, it has become so bad they suggested chlorpromizine (same family of rispirdal but with a little sedative affect) this was helping for a week then he kicked in my bathroom door! now it's been suggested he needs to go up to 4mgs rispirdal and less chlorpromizine!! I'm at my wits end..
Terrified about side effects long term, terrified of side effects full stop! they have spoken of a antidote to be given to prevent some of the side effects! oh **** I don't know what to do, I am relying on a team of people in his school including a psychiatrist.. we are living in terror at home, never sure when he'll have an outburst, they seem to come out of no where, he hurts himself and has come after me several times:confused, and hurt me.. living the nightmare at the moment but am told he will come out of this! I think at the moment my biggest fear is side effects from the drugs.. help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #32
(female)

rbecca HB User

Molliemae,

Hi there, you are in a position that I was in a few years ago with my son... FEAR I can totally understand where you are comming from.
My son just turned 15 in September, and is doing better than anyone ever thought possible.
The entire year of 2003 he was so aggressive that he was in and out of the adolesent psych ward @ childrens hospital.Much more in than out. We tried everything med wise,(after I researched the heck of them 1st for side effects,ect...). The med "guinnee pig" routine on your child is heartbreaking to watch, and scary on top of that
We also went through Risperdal,but they had him up to 4mgs per day...zombie, was the result,but the aggression was still present,just rather sluggish and he ended up hurting himself. Zyprexa was before that, great at first, but he eventually maxed out on the dose.The weight gain & diabetes.... not so great.

To make my long story shorter, after trying many other meds, with near fatal consequenses, on one.... We finally landed on something so simple it's pathetic that he had to go through so much before it was given as an option. Clonidine @ 0.2mgs in the morning,noon and night, with 0.1mgs available as a "PRN". So a total of 0.6mgs per day plus the optional 0.1mg if needed.
Clonidine changed my sons life, and mine. Granted his dose was a bit on the high side for his age, but we had to go by his weight also...
Clonidine is classified as an emergengy anti-hypertensive, it has a "calming effect" because it lowers blood pressure. It wasn't abnormal for him to go from a complete state of rage to alseep in 30 minutes.It also helped him sleep at night - through the night!!!! - Now he doesn't even take anything anymore, he has the Clonidine Rx just in case, but hasn't had to take it since April

I always make the point to state that all meds effect every person differently, and to research them and talk to your doc before just trying something that worked for someone else. But I thought I would share our experiences and what finally worked for my son.

Good luck,Rebecca

Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #33
(female)

Molliemae HB User

Hi Rbecca, It was good to hear about what you've been through, I am waiting for a call from Sams dr in school, and I will discuss what you mentioned...

You are so right about the fear factor!! omg I am terrified, more about side effects then his aggression, having said that his aggression is pretty terrifying too...

will keep you posted and again thank you so much for sharing your info x

Closed Thread

Tags
abilify, clonidine, geodon, risperdal, seroquel, zyprexa