It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

davann HB User
aggression again

Hi, my name is ann I am new at this, I have a serious concern. My son is 17 years old has autism and bipolar. When he was younger he was very violent. He is on meds like lithium and risperdal, trazadone and cogentin the last 5 years he was very good almost no behaviors. I thought I was in heaven. Now in the last 6 months he returning to some aggression, not as bad as before but slowly getting there. I am so afraid of that since he is 180lbs and 6ft2. he use to hit, bite pull hair, break things, it was a terrible time. wondering if any other mothers went through this. Any suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: aggression again

Hi Ann i have been there done that my son is 18 and was extremely violent, he calmed down at 16, he too is hfa with bi polar he is on depakote seroquel remron and lamictal, he too is 6 foot 2 and 250 lbs, it sounds like your son needs a med eval right now before it gets worse.do you receive any services?if not you should contact the dept of mental retardation in your area and ask them to put your son on the medicaid waiver and that you would like a personal assistant for him and when you and your son are ready a supported living home where he will have support staff 24/7. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ar58 HB User

Davann,

You may like to try a few doses of Belladonna 30c in addition to the other medicine you are giving to your son. This is a herbal homeopathic remedy and can help mitigate the aggressive behaviour. Hope this will help

Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
(female)

davann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamm
Hi Ann i have been there done that my son is 18 and was extremely violent, he calmed down at 16, he too is hfa with bi polar he is on depakote seroquel remron and lamictal, he too is 6 foot 2 and 250 lbs, it sounds like your son needs a med eval right now before it gets worse.do you receive any services?if not you should contact the dept of mental retardation in your area and ask them to put your son on the medicaid waiver and that you would like a personal assistant for him and when you and your son are ready a supported living home where he will have support staff 24/7. good luck
Hi, Yes my son does have a program called cap[community alternative program] and a person who works 4 hours a day helping with him. I am hoping to keep my son at home with me. My whole life revolves around him, I think I would go crazy without him or crazy with him. The doctor did an increase in his risperdal yesterday, I hope this works or at least help.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
(female)

funnylife HB User

hi my son is 15 year old and have had very bad problems wih him attacking people have you tryed to find out why his getting aggresive again ,i just realized that jon get aggresive when scared or hurt (tooth ache or something)but when there been no real reason it seems although my son is very big and other are scared of him he dose not understand this , and just feels people are different towards him which inits self can cause problems with him getting aggresive so try not to show that your scared, and also whats happening around him when his getting agressive as jon gose off when he cant cope with lots of poeple yet another day he would cope well , so we try to see what mood his in before going into situation, med is ok and has help us a lot but trying to find away to juge whats causing it would help more good luck hope he calmsdown soon for youx

Old 11-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
(female)

rbecca HB User

Hi there,

OH YES HAVE WE BEEN THERE

My son just recently turned 15 and thank God he hasn't had issues w/ aggression for a few yrs now,give or take a few episodes.

We too have been through a few courses of the aggresive,combative,non compliant, yada-yada-yada.... periods of time.

Christopher was in and out of the psych ward @ Childrens, meds,med changes,more meds.He was deemed "unfit for public school",the Police, and Fire Dept. having to get involved in helping me(single mom) and the "Special School" get him out of trees, other peoples cars,houses or yards, and we can't forget to mention the TRAIN. Let me elaborate on that one... the special school with a 12' fence surrounding their playground area and only 8 teenagers to oversee(10 staff members) managed to not see him scale the fence and leave the property ! My goodness, there was a "switching station" for the trains a few blocks from the school and Christopher loves trains. He got all the way there, hopped into a moving train car and I guess was ready for the ride of his life.... The school called the police and me, but didn't go looking for him,it was a 45 minute drive for me to get there and the place was crawling with police officers and childrens services workers when I did.To make this a little shorter, someone from the train place had the common sense when they found my son on the train to call the school and ask if anyone was missing .That is how we found him,( I'm not saying the police weren't looking,for the record,so to speak). But for pitty sake- I didn't loose him, but I got interrogated for over 2hrs before they would let me take him home.
Sorry that was so long, but I've been there.

Back to the aggression, I saw a few others who asked if you knew what set him off. Sometimes I can see that Chris is agitated before all H breaks loose,but not until the past few yrs has he been able to give me a clue as to why.
He does get worked up more in crowded/loud places, but it is usually because someone else is upset.He is very empathetic and when someone else is stressed or upset,he seems to feel it and act as if whatever is up with the other person has happened to him.

The meds: That's quite a coctail, maybe some of the meds aren't working well with each other(even if they did before),puberty and age effect these things and sometimes the good combination that worked before turnes into a huge mess for whoever is taking them. If you don't mind me saying so, it might be a good idea to talk to the doc and re-evaluate the med situation. I have had to do that a few times, take some things away,wait for them to get out of the bloodstream,see what happens and maybe try something different.
I was amazed that it turned out to be a good idea. I was scared to death, but we finally nixed everything and he started on Clonidine only-an emergengy anti-hypertensive. IT WORKED!!!!!! Chris' dx is also autism,bi-polar,and OCD. First he was started @ 0.2 mgs 3x per day, w/ another 0.1mg as a "PRN". Now we just use it as a "PRN", it also really helps with sleeping. He hasn't had an aggressive outburst, thrown the cat over the balcony, or attacked anyone in so long, I can't even remember. He had a little issue in April because his father promissed to take him out on the weekend and never showed up - JERK -. That ticked me off too, but I didn't kick a HUGE hole in the wall.

I hope this helps you, and good luck

Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
(female)

Ocallaghan212 HB User

My daughter is 10 yrs old and she can be very aggressive at times. Im scared to death of her when she is upset or mad becuase she bites pulls my hair hits and kicks me. Im not so scared of her as I am of having to use force and hurt her. Thank goodness her aggression is at most 1 x a week. Its mostly if you tell her no or make her do something she doesnt want to do.. I belive its her lack of verbal skills and she cant express herself as to why she lashes out. I did notice over the summer she was Extremely aggressive, and she got her period and the aggression did seem to go away to a point but she only got it 1 time and it went for a week. Now its 3 months later and her aggression is on the rise and still no period yet. I wonder if its a hormonal thing? SHe has been oon meds in the past risperdall worked awesome but she started to twitch on her right side of her face and we had to take her off. We have tried abilify but it made her so out of it. Right now she is only on clonidine for sleeping I do not give her anything else. I do know as she gets older she will need to be on something but Im holding off as long as possible. As always I wish all you good luck with your children and I can say i know how you all feel.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

davann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnylife
hi my son is 15 year old and have had very bad problems wih him attacking people have you tryed to find out why his getting aggresive again ,i just realized that jon get aggresive when scared or hurt (tooth ache or something)but when there been no real reason it seems although my son is very big and other are scared of him he dose not understand this , and just feels people are different towards him which inits self can cause problems with him getting aggresive so try not to show that your scared, and also whats happening around him when his getting agressive as jon gose off when he cant cope with lots of poeple yet another day he would cope well , so we try to see what mood his in before going into situation, med is ok and has help us a lot but trying to find away to juge whats causing it would help more good luck hope he calmsdown soon for youx
hello, thanks for your input,it helps to have support from ones who have the same issues. My son is very moody sometimes and sometimes not. He does get upset when a lot of people are around. When feeling bad he also is very ill tempered. Things are not good at school so I am calling for a meeting. Something is happening there to cause some outburst here at home and at school.

Closed Thread