It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

monkey3 HB User
Smile Respite Care

Does anyone know how to go about obtaining respite care for an autistic child. I understand we are entitled to it, although have no idea about how to go about getting it. I live in Westchester County, in New York. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Respite Care

Hey Monkey3 I live in NY as well I never needed respite care but I would imagine you could contact someone where they provided EI services they may be able to direct you to somone or try on the internet , perhaps human resources. If I find out any info I'll post it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

cjjimenez HB User

Try DDS services. We get our respite care and also our personal care through DDS Mediciad Wavier.Someone at DDS can give you a list of providers. While we were on the waiting list for waiver we used a special needs fund from DDS for our summer respite.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
(female)

monkey3 HB User

Thanks for all the good suggestions, will try them and let you know what happens. We live in Mahopac, NY, where are you Liz? We dont have any family around, mine are all in Australia and my husbands are elderly and also dont care. I also have 2 girls ages 8 and 5, in addition to my son who is 4.5 So we need some time with the girls, we do things often as a family, but as you would all know - most of the time is spent making sure my son does not run away/touch things like people's faces etc........ We want to be able to focus on the girls sometimes and let them enjoy Mummy and Daddy time.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

monkey3 HB User

Sorry, I meant Liamsmom

Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

We're in Brooklyn however my sister-inlaw works in Mahopac perhaps I can ask her to find out what she can she's a teacher up there and may have resources I don't. I'll get back to you. Till then chin up

Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

We're in Brooklyn however my sister-inlaw works in Mahopac perhaps I can ask her to find out what she can she's a teacher up there and may have resources I don't. I'll get back to you. Till then chin up

Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Happy Girl HB User

Hey There!
Where I am ... the funding STINKS for respite care (statewide). Just honesty for my state places children, spec. needs & elderly at the bottom of the list! When my daughter was 2, we lived in another state, and respite care was available! It was nice to have.

I did want to mention that there "may" be churches or organizations who offer respite care...? I don't know if it would be available where you live? In our area, there are 4 different churches (different denominations) who offer Respite Care to spec. needs families which included siblings of the spec. needs child. You DON'T have to attend their particular church for they offer this as community service. Each church as a nurse or M.D. that stays during the entire time of care in case of a medical emergency. The catch is that it isn't individualized Respite Care (like you would have typically through a state funded program) , meaning that the care is offered to a group of families & usually have care on a Friday night from 6-10p.m. It is set up on a first call, first serve basis.

For us, it is enough time that my hubby & I can go out on a date or maybe Christmas shop that we may not otherwise been able to do.

Best Wishes in finding your Respite Care!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
(female)

monkey3 HB User

Those are all great suggestions, I just found out that the Hudson Valley CP (Cerebal Palsy) association, which is affiliatted with my sons school may be able to offer something Hopefully it will pan out, it would make our lives so much calmer and less chaotic. If it dosent work I try the church route.

Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi Monkey3 I sent an e-mail to my sister inlaw sorry it took so long. She's a rather responsible woman so I imagine I'll be hearing back with suggestions anytime now hang in there.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
(female)

monkey3 HB User

Thanks Laimsmom, thats so nice of you

Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
(female)

blessedmom HB User
Smile Re: Respite Care

Hi, contact the Easter Seals. You may be able to find it online or in the phone book. There is a chapter for each state. You can fill out an application with them and they will let you know who is qualified in your area or if you have someone that your child is used to that is CPR certified, they can register with Easter Seals to become a provider and the Easter Seals will pay them. Also I don't know if it is in every state though, but the Easter Seals allow me $500 per year for things like diapers, respite care and other equipment that my daughter needs. Once you have exhausted the 500 you have to wait until the next year to get another allowance. The Easter Seals here in GA goes from July to July for their allowances. Hope this info is helpful.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
(female)

monkey3 HB User
Red face Re: Respite Care

Sorry its taken me so long to respond, but thank you all for your suggestions. As you all have experienced no one really understands what you are going through with a child who is on the spectrum and the juggling act of keeping your family happy and sane as well as dealing with the guilt of not giving your other children the time they need. My son is very loving and overly attached to me, which is wonderful, but having someone clinging to your leg 24/7 can be a little challenging to say the least! I try to appreciate the fact that he is loving and attached because I am told it is easier for them to separate from you than to get them to be attached to you. Although, I could take a little separation Anyway, thank you all for all your support and kind wishes, I know we will all get through this, just sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I havent had any luck with the respite care, although I did post a note at Nicolas' school for a babysitter and a couple of the aids (who I love and who obviously love Nicolas) have responded - so maybe we will get a few outings.

Good luck and success to everyone
Corinne

P.S. Thanks Liamsmom for the infomation in Carmel

Closed Thread