It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
(male)

bargain764 HB User
language difficulties of semantic pragmatic nature

I once had to see a language therapist because I had learning difficulties when i was at school and he (or she) said that I have language difficulties of a semantic pragmatic nature — that is according to my statement of special educational needs. I have never heard of this, is it the same as Autism?

I think i might be Autistic because I have difficulties interacting with people, which they claimed was caused by my language difficulties. But I don't think I have language problems anymore and im not mentally retarded either. I could speak clearly back then anyway.

I have also been diagnosed with Dyslexia, is this related to in any way to language difficulties of a semantic pragmatic nature? Is it possible to be both Dyslexic and Autistic simultaneously?

What are your thoughts?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User
Re: language difficulties of semantic pragmatic nature

You probably have Asperger Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism without significant cognitive impairment, but which affects us in the social sphere of life. People with AS often have trouble with the pragmatics of speech (initiating conversation, fixing social errors, and ending a conversation.) Many people with AS, like me, have problems with "small talk." I find it impossible just to talk about "nothing," preferring to talk about my cats, history, or my current passion, British athlete and neurologist Roger Bannister, the first man to break the four minute mile.

Other problems such as dyslexia, or its flipside, hyperlexia (precocious reading, which was probably what I had), OCD, etc. can co-exist with Autism/Asperger's. If a person has high intelligence, but weak social skills and semantic pragmatic difficulties, AS is the likely problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread