It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

Kolby HB User
Lyme Disease ?

Do a google search and you will find that some reports are stating that 90% of child with Autism have Lyme disease.

Has anyone had their children checked for this?
Should we now worry?
Michelle

Last edited by Kolby; 01-09-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User
Re: Lyme Disease ?

Hi Michelle;

How are guys??? Funny.... we are always somewhere on the same page of things. FYI... Last June, my son was bitten by a tick while we were at a cookout in the woodsy part of New Hampshire. I actually saw the tick on him and it was beginning to burry itself into the skin at the corner of my son's eye. I was able to get it off but it was already working in getting under the skin.

Right after that, within a day my son developed a high fever (103). He also suffered the most significant regression he has ever had and it lasted about a month. I did take him to the pediatrician the day after the bite but was told that it takes time for it to show up in the blood work ( about 16 days ) if it was Lyme disease.

Fortunately he got better from the illness and the regression worked itself through. I never did get him tested for Lyme because he seemed to recover from what ever it was that bothered him. It was pretty frightening though.

I also know of another Autistic Child that contracted lyme disease and it really did a number on him. He never fully bounced back from being sick with it.

I don't know if our kids are more prone to getting Lyme Disease, but the Neurological problems associated with it are much too much for ours kids to handle.

How is Kolby ??? Did you ever resolve his #2 thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys mom
Hi Michelle;

How are guys??? Funny.... we are always somewhere on the same page of things. FYI... Last June, my son was bitten by a tick while we were at a cookout in the woodsy part of New Hampshire. I actually saw the tick on him and it was beginning to burry itself into the skin at the corner of my son's eye. I was able to get it off but it was already working in getting under the skin.

Right after that, within a day my son developed a high fever (103). He also suffered the most significant regression he has ever had and it lasted about a month. I did take him to the pediatrician the day after the bite but was told that it takes time for it to show up in the blood work ( about 16 days ) if it was Lyme disease.

Fortunately he got better from the illness and the regression worked itself through. I never did get him tested for Lyme because he seemed to recover from what ever it was that bothered him. It was pretty frightening though.

I also know of another Autistic Child that contracted lyme disease and it really did a number on him. He never fully bounced back from being sick with it.

I don't know if our kids are more prone to getting Lyme Disease, but the Neurological problems associated with it are much too much for ours kids to handle.

How is Kolby ??? Did you ever resolve his #2 thing?
Oh get him checked you just never know. My Dad had it and he was down for the count for a while. I've never seen one on Kolby. At least they are trying to find out what causes Autism. They've said older dads, lyme, shots...
I really kinda feel like it might be some type of combination.

Kolby now goes #2 in the potty. Just decided by himself it was time. He does wait a few days though and then he has a lot come out of him. Alsways the size of a potato. But not dry or green or anything odd. Just like it sits in the bottom of his intestines for a bit. He never says it hurts or stays on the potty too long. Never pushes or anything. I believe it is he who won't release it.
But thankfully that drama is over and he is going on his own.

He is doing pretty well overall but still doesn't always understand conversation and can't really tell you how his day was. So I am pushing for a pragmatic course for him. Since his speech therapist has dropped him to about 15 minutes per week. UGH! What is that women thinking? Anyway I have gone to a really nice higher up to get that corrected. He still has his moody days. Sometimes more often then I would like. But he is good with eye contact and doesn't run and hide when people walk in the door. He is no longer obsessed with any one thing (the alphabet). He has never had any stimming or staring at things. He has never spun wheels or played with one toy for a while. So our main thing now is the conversation and his temper. Oh and his eating better. I really feel Kolby's diet has a lot to do with his temper and his speech. But that is just me. I'm not saying every Autistic child should change their diet.

How is your son doing? Is he talking well?
Michelle

Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Michelle;

I believe you are right about the diet. I have found that when my son eats certain things it triggers severe behavioral issues. It makes me sad for him since it's things I know he loves but I truly feel affect him adversly. He loves Cheeze its... Gold Fish... but when he has them he is completely behaviorally off with eye contact, hitting, he bit my daughter the last time he ate them.

When I remove all dairy he does terrific !!!!

He does very well talking about things that he wants to talk about. His problem comes when he is asked something he tends to flood with thought and has a hard time getting it out. He does eventually but it's alittle bit of a challenge. It is coming though !!! He also has a difficult time with the give and take of conversation. If it's not his topic then he sometimes resists and insists that it be about his interest. He's really beginning to look more Asperger like as he gets older.

He is so cute and often funny but very literal about everything and extremely rigid about how he thinks things should be. I'm always changing things so he gets used to the change and he accepts it although reluctantly.

He is extremely intelligent. He is beginning to read some and he amazingly has picked up basic math skills and although it wasn't taught to him. He picks up anything that is concrete very easily.

He also ( yaaaay !!!! ) has learned to play with my daughter and the expansion of his play has come so far. He is learning how to play with others cooperatively and does very well with the imitation.

He goes to our public school in an integrated setting for 10 hours a week. The school after a huge battle started providing 10 hours of 1:1 ABA outside of his school day. I have used some of the 1:1 time to enroll him in a private preschool with typical kids and the ABA person attends for part of that time to enhance his social skills. The private school teachers tell me he does so well that he blends with the other kids. It's not obvious unless you know what you are looking at.

Jeffrey was 4 in November. He has one more year before kindergarden. It's my hope and a goal that he be ready to attend with no additional assistance.

Most times he does very well. It seems that he's on a rollercoaster though. Whenever he is about to develop new skills, he seems to be thrown off and the PDD signs are noticable and it appears he regresses. But so far there seems to be a pattern of regression followed by a significant developmental gain and then he's great for a while.

Long winded.... sorry. Thanks for asking Ann Marie

Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Kolby, that is very interesting about the Lyme. I did some searching after I read your 1st post. I read that if one member of family has lyme that others can catch it from them, especially if they have immune disfunction.

Jeffrey's Mom, it is wonderful how well your little guy is doing. I am so glad you were able to get him that exta ABA. It sounds like he is ready for kindergarten already! I bet he will be top of his class. I'm sure it just melts your heart to see him playing with his sister.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyAnn
Kolby, that is very interesting about the Lyme. I did some searching after I read your 1st post. I read that if one member of family has lyme that others can catch it from them, especially if they have immune disfunction.

Jeffrey's Mom, it is wonderful how well your little guy is doing. I am so glad you were able to get him that exta ABA. It sounds like he is ready for kindergarten already! I bet he will be top of his class. I'm sure it just melts your heart to see him playing with his sister.

I did some reading too and couldn't find anything other than a tick bite giving someone lyme. I'll keep looking.
Thanks
Michelle

Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi I don't have a child but I saw the title of this thread and had to stop in...

Jeffery's Mom...you just can't go by what a pediatrian or regular M.D. says about Lyme....If Jeffery had a tick on him and he came down with a big fever like that the next day...Then I would suspect he could either have lyme or a coinfection. He may look and act okay now..but lyme bacterias can lie dormant and come out later. And yes Lyme can cause Central Nervous Disorders! Did the doctor take precautions and put Jeffery on antibiotics?

Have you tried posting on the lyme board? There is alot of good information and great people to answer your guestions. It would be wise to rule out Lyme. Which would mean gettting him to a specalist in Lyme. Which they call a Lyme Literate Doctor. There aren't very many around. But if you post where you live someone can help direct you in the right place.

You can find a lot of good information at the Lyme Disease Association.
There seems to be cases where it can be passed around in the family. but it is not declared that it can be. I did meet one doctor that he and his family all had it...5 people in hte same house hold. They also say sex, kissing, mother's passing it to their babies can happen also. Also when you read that people get a bulls eye rash it only happens in some cases. NOT EVERYONE gets this rash. I never did. And my test never showed a positive....

Lyme is related to sphyllis. It is a cork screwed bacteria and imbeds itself in bone, tissue, brain, oragans, well every inch of our bodies. I know when I was extremley ill with it I was just about put in a Mental Hospital because of it...

I'm not tring to scrare you but if Jeffery was bit, and came down with a fever. It truly needs to be addressed.

Not all the labs and you will read on the Lyme board are equiped to run a fool proof test for Lyme. The best Lab around is in Palo Alto Califo. It is called Igenex. But if lyme becomes chronic it can be hard to get a positive.

Let us know what happens. this is the second fastest growing disease around. there are ALOT of people being treated for other disorders that truly have lyme. Some doctors say it is the number one disease. Aids is suppose to be the first...but Lyme is neck in neck with it now....pretty scarey....

Don't mean to put more on your shoulder's. If Jeffery has Lyme now is the time to start getting it under control.

Jodie

Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #8
(female)

Kolby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
Hi I don't have a child but I saw the title of this thread and had to stop in...

Jeffery's Mom...you just can't go by what a pediatrian or regular M.D. says about Lyme....If Jeffery had a tick on him and he came down with a big fever like that the next day...Then I would suspect he could either have lyme or a coinfection. He may look and act okay now..but lyme bacterias can lie dormant and come out later. And yes Lyme can cause Central Nervous Disorders! Did the doctor take precautions and put Jeffery on antibiotics?

Have you tried posting on the lyme board? There is alot of good information and great people to answer your guestions. It would be wise to rule out Lyme. Which would mean gettting him to a specalist in Lyme. Which they call a Lyme Literate Doctor. There aren't very many around. But if you post where you live someone can help direct you in the right place.

You can find a lot of good information at the Lyme Disease Association.
There seems to be cases where it can be passed around in the family. but it is not declared that it can be. I did meet one doctor that he and his family all had it...5 people in hte same house hold. They also say sex, kissing, mother's passing it to their babies can happen also. Also when you read that people get a bulls eye rash it only happens in some cases. NOT EVERYONE gets this rash. I never did. And my test never showed a positive....

Lyme is related to sphyllis. It is a cork screwed bacteria and imbeds itself in bone, tissue, brain, oragans, well every inch of our bodies. I know when I was extremley ill with it I was just about put in a Mental Hospital because of it...

I'm not tring to scrare you but if Jeffery was bit, and came down with a fever. It truly needs to be addressed.

Not all the labs and you will read on the Lyme board are equiped to run a fool proof test for Lyme. The best Lab around is in Palo Alto Califo. It is called Igenex. But if lyme becomes chronic it can be hard to get a positive.

Let us know what happens. this is the second fastest growing disease around. there are ALOT of people being treated for other disorders that truly have lyme. Some doctors say it is the number one disease. Aids is suppose to be the first...but Lyme is neck in neck with it now....pretty scarey....

Don't mean to put more on your shoulder's. If Jeffery has Lyme now is the time to start getting it under control.

Jodie

Well if Lyme is the #2 disease maybe it does have something to do with Autism. Wouldn't that mean we should all get our children tested?

My Father lives in NJ and when he had lyme we weren't even around him.
But once my friend came to my home from NJ and she had lyme and showed us the ring. She had a tick in her belly button at the time. Interesting.
Michelle

Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Betsyann; Thanks for the kind words. It does melt my heart that my kids
play together. My six year old is a wonderful role model. I'm so
proud of both of them. My daughter has been involved so much
from the beginning that she applies the ABA methodoligies during
play. She also redirects him when he gets stuck. I think she
will be a future ABA therapist. I hope all is well with you and
your family.

Jodie; Thanks for all the info. It sounds so frightening. This tick bite happened last year in late May or early June. I just assumed that when he got better that it wasn't an infected tick bite. I will follow up on this. Thanks again.

Closed Thread