It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

sross24 HB User
Autism and vomiting at night, ? seizure

I have not been on the boards for a while, but some of you may remember me. I have four children, 2 with PDD-NOS, 1 Neurotypical, and one with NLD, ADHD, and mood disorder.

Anyway, my 6 year old PDD-NOS daughter has been vomiting at night while in her bed. The strange thing is that she does not come and tell us. In fact, she threw up all over her bed last night and does not even remember doing it. This has been going on for a while. I brought her to my pedi who thought it may be anxiety related (as she also has some anxiety issues). I'm starting to think there is more to it. She has no fever associated with these vomiting episodes, and no one else in the family is sick. Plus it happens too often for it to be a viral cause.

She also sometimes has these staring spells during the day. I can only describe it as a blank stare. It usually lasts about 10 seconds and I can eventually get her attention, but it is strange.

The couple times when she did vomit at night and we were aware immediately after, she was very confused. I attributed to her being tired, but I'm starting to wonder if she could be having seizures at night while she is sleeping?

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you have any idea what else could be causing this? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steph

Old 01-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: Autism and vomiting at night, ? seizure

Hi Steph,

No experience here, but if you search the terms vomitting & seizures, lotta hits.

Of course your doc would say, anxiety. Don't you know that once a person has anxiety, that will account for all present & future illness???? And more important, take the doc off the hook from having to do his/her job? Drives me NUTS. Yah, anxiety can make people vomit. But during sleep????

Get a referral to a pediatric neurologist. If she is vomitting post-seizure (or during), there is some risk of aspiration. If she were my child, I'd def. want an EEG and/or sleep EEG done. Esp. considering the zone-outs in the day.

I'm wondering if you could get any relevant info by setting up a video cam to film her while she sleeps. I know they do this for sleep apnea studies, but how often you'd have to get up to change the tape in a home video recorder, or how long a digital could record, ... don't know how practical this would be for you. Of course, not all seizures have a dramatic motor/movement component.

OR you might want to keep watch ... but with a houseful on the spectrum, you need your sleep. Could you hire someone? A trusted relative or friend, to watch?

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

sross24 HB User

Thanks Elmhar! Sometimes I think my doc thinks I'm overreacting about these things. But I really feel that something is not right. The other thing I'm wondering is blood sugar being too high? Would that cause her to vomit at night? We don't have any history of diabetes or anything, and I do not see any other symptoms of this in her. She is not excessively thirsty, and does not have frequent urination. But is it a test I should ask for anyways?

Also, she eats lots of carbohydrates. She eats no meat and only carrots for veggies. Do you think it could be her diet? I know you are very familiar with autism and the gut connection. I have not done a lot of reading about that, but I wonder if that could be playing a role in this?

I'm going to bring her to our pediatrician tomorrow. I know he will give me a referral to a neurologist, but those appointments often take a while to get. Is there any specific testing I should ask my doctor to do ahead of time? Should I request a test to see if maybe gluten is a problem for her? I really appreciate your advice.

-Steph

Old 01-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Steph,

My inclination as a Mom, remembering some of the peds we've had over the yrs ... is to have ONE goal going in to see the doc. For me, in your shoes, it would be to get a ped. neuro consult ASAP. I would be as specific as possible in describing to your doctor for both events, sleep-vomitting & zone-outs: frequency, times of day, duration (of the staring) , and also describe the confusion & any other observations related to either event.

You know your doc; if you start asking about diabetes & diet stuff, might he/she get derailed from the neuro consult? If not, then ask.

First degree relatives of anyone with celiac disease should be screened (blood test). That is the current NIH recommendation. IME, if one blood relative responds well to GF diet, (even that person is not officially celiac), there's a good chance other family members will as well. This is the grey area of gluten intolerance, which is not outright gut-wrecked celiac.

I have met a couple of celiacs with gluten-induced seizures that abated on GF diet, but epilepsy is a big field & I wouldn't want to suggest that ALL seizures -- or even most -- are due to gluten

My advice is to follow your gut instincts on what to ask the doc. I hope you will be able to let us know soon that everything is OK with your DD.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

sross24 HB User

Thanks again Elmhar. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. They could not get her in today unless I saw the nurse practitioner. I would much rather see the doc, so I will wait until tomorrow. Last night was weird. She threw up three times at bedtime (but before she went to sleep). I had her fall asleep on the couch in the living room, so my husband and I could watch her. We watched her for about 4 hours. No throwing up after she fell asleep. We did notice that she snores really loud though. I will post tomorrow to let you know how the appointment went.

Thanks again,
Steph

Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
(female)

I Love LJC HB User

Theres also something called h pylori !!Good to be checked out by her Neuro also!

Last edited by I Love LJC; 01-22-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User

Steph,

We just took our PDD-NOS 7-year-old boy to a pediatric neurologist. She ordered an EEG because she thought he was having seizures right then and there in the exam room. (I disagreed, but who am I?) He "freezes" up when someone new-especially an adult, talks to him. He is a perfectionist and needs time to think to get the answer right. She thought this was a seizure. (Maybe...?) So, we went ahead with the EEG and are waiting for the results.
After reading your post it got me thinking because this same boy has a tendency to throw up (when he is sick? or is he?) and it's only been at night. Then the next day he acts fine. No fever, etc. He also has encopresis so I wonder if sometimes he is plugged up down there and the food has only one direction to go...I don't know if this helps any, but it's nice to see you back on board the boards! Good luck and let us know how your daughter is doing.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

9CatMom HB User

Steph,

I have a mild seizure disorder, fortunately completely controlled by medication. I have been fortunate not to lose control of my functions during a seizure. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. That must be scary.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
(female)

Cantdoitagain HB User

Hi Steph,
I don't come on here often....at the age of two the DP said let's wait and see about dx him autistic, then at the age of three he said there was more going on here. We are now going to a Neuromuscular and neurometabolic doc, Pediatric Neurologist, Gasteroenterologist and a DP.....my son vomits and has diarrhea (lose stools), he is GDD, hypotonia, is sick often and no speech development and he is almost 4.....

My son has a lot of issues going on and I don't really know what your daughter's issues are....except the vomitting and seizures...but I do have some experience with these things.

Trust your gut. Try to remember the number of occurences and when. You are the best advocate for your child and don't let anyone tell you any different.

How did your appointment go?

Laura

Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
(female)

aventrella HB User

My son has seizures. Ask for an EEG. They can measure the brain activity. My son has an abnormal EEG so he has to take seizure medication every day.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
(female)

sross24 HB User

Hi Everyone.

I'm back for an update. Thank you all for your replies. They have been very helpful. My daughter had her appointment with her pediatrician today, and he was wonderful. He felt that the first step we should take is to see a pediatric neurologist as soon as possible. In fact, he is having his office staff set it up for us. He agreed that we definately need to find out if these vomiting episodes could be seizures, or if the staring episodes during the day could be seizures as well. He said that it may just be gastroesophageal reflux, but he wants to rule out seizures prior to a GI consult. He said he will not put her on any medication for reflux until seizures are ruled out, because some of the reflux meds can have an affect on the central nervous system, which could ultimately worsen an existing seizure condition (if one is present). So the plan is:

1. Pedi Neurologist (EEG, etc.)
2. GI Consult
3. Depending on the results of the above, we will determine where to go from there.

I will definately keep you all posted as soon as I hear anything. I am glad that my MD is taking this seriously. I hope that this is not seizures, but I just have to rule it out so I can sleep at night (and my daughter can too). Thanks again for all your advice.

And, Willstrideryder (Steph), let me know how your 7 year olds EEG turns out when you get the results.

-Steph

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good news. Sounds like the doc is in your court & in that case may lobby for "soonest possible opening" for your DD. You must have done a great job presenting your concerns.

Best wishes.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
(female)

sross24 HB User

The pedi neuro appointment is scheduled for February 7th. We are on the cancellation list if anything opens sooner though. I will keep you all posted.

-Steph

Old 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

wow!

i was freaking outa while ago, andi was still soworries

my ittle brother john for threw up at night, onmor ethan one occassion, but it was clear, and idndt smelllike rotten food, so he dindt have food poisneing, and tehtiems were so far apart it couldnt ahve been a virus either.

my docter called it a "nevrous stomach"
but thisis ALSO the docter who told me i couldnt have pre-diabetes, and i do
told me i have "growing pains" and imperfectly healthy.. even after i finsihed growing - fibromyagia
and that my oral thrush would go away on its own sohe wont proscribe meds.. ive had it for over 2 years now!! if i couldnt keep it tame with vinigar id be MAD.

anyway, my point is, dont take my docters disgnosis to heart, Still get your daughter checked up on D: and please let me know what you find out

my rbotehr was concious when he vomited, everytime, he woke up and said he felt sick only for a bit, threw up, didnt even complain, then just went back to sleep.

my brother has aspergers, and is 8, by the way

and alast note, you mentione dblood sugar

if its at night, shes not eaten sense dinner, to me it would imply Lower blood sugar, that can make you vomit too (im proof, it was the one time sense a stoamch virus at age 11 i couldnt stop myself from vomitting) but that would make her shakey and weak and possibley light headed, low or high.

Last edited by iyami; 01-24-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #15
(female)

sross24 HB User

Last night was a little different. She came into my room at 2 a.m. and said she felt like she was going to throw up. She had a bowl with her (we keep one beside her bed). She climbed into bed with me and my husband and she was shaking out of control. If I put my hand on her leg, I could feel her insides shaking as well. It wasn't like a Grand Mal Seizure or anything like that. I describe it more like tremors or shivering. She was aware of her surroundings (she was not confused). She did end up throwing up 3 times.

This shaking thing has happened before. It is almost as if her neuro system is stirred up. Any ideas? My neuro appt. is not until February 7th. Should I call the doc back and demand any blood tests?

-Steph

Closed Thread