It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

Sashaa HB User
Re: Poll for MOTHERS only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallzyx
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I am definitely going over what I could've done wrong.

I guess I will get over it now.

Just to respond to Mom23angels, I ate really healthy. I followed the Bradley diet to a T, so I don't think eating a bunch of junk food had anything to do with it.

I was induced with pitocin only, but the birth was not traumatic for the baby whatsoever, as far as I know. He was suctioned out at the end because he was extremely large for my body, though. The only other drug I had was something for my bloodpressure.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with mild Hypertyroidism last year . I have been on homeopathic medications. My TSH was normal 3 months . So my OBG adviced me to try for a baby. I am trying to concieve....but my periods are going crazy . They are very long and irregular. I wonder if i'll ever get pregnant at all. I am goin crazy !! Please help.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions .

Sashaa

Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
(female)

JoJoLEE HB User
Re: Do you think that you had stress during pregnancy with your autistic child

I was stressed but who's not. Being pregnant isn't taken lightly by many things. Such as medications, foods, and procedures.

Rumor : I have heard that if you have eaten can tuna fish(which has a lot of mercury in it) can affect the mother and baby. Just never eat tuna unless you never plan on having babies. Where does Autism come from? Thats my question?

Sashaa,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble having a baby. Its nothing we can plan. Try to relax and then it will happen. Maybe you should try checking your cervix every morning. When you ovulate your cervix will open and sometimes it can open as well right before your period. Check every morning at the same time. Maybe you will be able to chart when you ovulate. OR you can take your temperature. I know of some friends who get pregnant that way. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
(female)

Ms-Trixi HB User

With my first (autistic) son I did have some stress. With my second (non-autistic) son, I had major stress and a nervous breakdown (that is when I found out that my first son was autistic). I was hospitalized in the county mental hospital with severe anxiety and depression. Was taken away in a police car and held for evaluation- it was very, very bad. I was unable to stop crying or eat.
I read on the internet that stress during the 6th month (when I had my nervous breakdown) caused autism- which stressed me out even more.
So, the child that I had the most stress with, did not turn out autistic. Therefore, from my expereince, I don't believe the stress/autism connection.
Hope that helps,
Linda

Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

im kind of a science nerd, so bascially

what ive gathered, and i no expert just your average little nerd

that stuff baout pregnancy stress causing autism, its just a myth. ive actually read that its all bull, form a number of sources, so im not th eonly one who thinks so

infact it has Nothing to do with your pregancy, most of the time, if not never.

its all about genetics
traits passed down form one child to another, immune system problems, that sort of thing.

for exammple, my dad has autistic social habbits, but otehrwise is a well-verbalised left-brained genious, my mom, while also a genious and is very social, is totally right brained, no sense of direction, phsycial clumsiness, verbal problems with volume and enphasising, talks Alot, and both parents are obsessive compulsive.

so combining select traits inherited genetically (and maybe habitually) from my parents, out come me, aspergersly-autistic-girl.

thats how it Really works. from what i have read and seen.

basically, theres nothing you could have possibley done wrong, and maybe your child Likes being different and feels special for it, either way its nothing to be mad at yourself over.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

When I was 5 months pregnant with my 18 year old son who has Asperger's his father and I divorced. It was an ugly, messy, dangerous divorce as my ex had mental health problems that had emerged during our marriage and he was psychotic and dangerous. He repeated told me that he'd kill me if I ever tried to divorce him. I was terrified of this man and chose to tell him over the phone while he was locked up in the psychiatric ward of a local hospital that I was filing for divorce. I felt it was the safest way for me to tell him, after all he was locked up and 10 miles away from where I was at my parent's house at the time. He escaped from the locked psych ward and burst through the door at my parents house within 20 minutes of the conversation!!! He headed straight for my Dad's rifle (he knew exactly where my Dad kept it hidden). Luckily, I got a call through to 911 before he had time to put the rifle together, and he ran off and got away as he heard the sirens approach. The police did not catch him that night and he was on the loose and after me for 2 months before he finally got caught and thrown in jail. I took our 3 year old daughter and my very pregnant self and had to go into hiding during that time, yet I still maintained my full-time job and part-time evening college classes. So yes, I would say that I was under extreme stress during that pregnancy!

Going forward 9 years in time, I got married again during my last year of a doctoral program. I literally got pregnant on my wedding night and so I was finishing up that difficult degree, starting a new marriage, and dealing with my difficult Asperger's son during that pregnancy. So I was also under a great deal of stress during that pregnancy too, and that child is severely autistic.

Honestly though, I have no clue if my stress affected these children or not. But I have heard the theory before and it does seem to add up for my situation. I really think there are other explanations though and I'm concerned that the whole "mom being too stressed" theory is a thinly veiled attempt to blame the mom like the old "refrigerator mother" theory.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

soozeq HB User

My pregnancy with Liam was awful. I had sinus surgery when i was 5 weeks and didn't know I was pregnant. I was hugely uncomfortable, gained 65 lbs, and most of it was water. Whe I was 7 months, we had a SARS outbreak in Toronto. All my prenatals were cancelled for a month. Once I got to go back, I could only go alone, no support people. I went five days overdue, and Liam never engaged in the pelvis. He was way up by my breasts. They tried to put me into labour for 3 full days (remember the SARS outbreak, so no support people allowed), and finally gave me a c-section on the fourth day.

The stress continued immediately after birth, but that's not the topic

Suzy

Old 01-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
(female)

melanie1974 HB User

I spent the first 6 months of my first pregnancy on active duty in a war zone and my first son is fine.
My second pregnancy was spent on a mediteranean island lying in the sun and my second son is PDD-NOS, go figure!!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Well, I don't want to place any blame here.. because I doubt this has anything to do with my son's Autism. But my pregnancy with my son was different from my first pregnancy. First off, I was somewhat upset that I got pregnant again so soon after having my first child. I ended up with post-partum depression, and was on medication for a little bit (I took myself off of it after we ended up with no insurance, and my prescription ran out). During the pregnancy, we made a huge move across country, and found out very shortly before my son was born, that my father had lung cancer.

When my son was born, the delivery went more or less ok, except for there were some tense moments during contractions.. I couldn't push because the cord was wrapped around his neck, and his heart beat was slowing with each contraction. There was some concern for a few minutes, but then I don't know if they turned him around or something and all was well? Then he came out fine.

Other than that, really my first and second (last) pregnancies were no different. I was really happy with my first, though.. not so much during the second. LOL All the hormones I guess?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
(male)

GOLDING HB User
Re: Poll for MOTHERS only

I alos had alot of stress having my son he has autism. My Mother died and also my Grandmother in six months of each other. I was four months gone. But i think that Thomas is who he is for a reason what reason i don't know lol. If you take away the autism you take away Thomas. So don't blame yourself it was not your fault.

Melanie

Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
(female)

chrisss HB User

stress during pregnancy-Yes! It was my sons birth though if I were to blame anything.

I had to get induced as I did not contract with him. I had to fight with the anestisiologist as he did not want to wear gloves. Then my blood pressure dropped so they kept shooting me up with something. I felt myself go into shock. They lost my sons heartbeat and the doctor had to kick the anistisiologist out. A few minutes later as they prepped or for a c-section., my son was born. Just in time. That was at 10 pm. I awoke at 1 am and had post partum hemmoraging the size of footballs. the phones and call system were out. I had to literally crawl to the nurses station for help. I was so sick over the next month that I could not even hold my newborn.

At age 2, he developed a straubulism (sp) had to get eye surgery, tubes, tonsilectimy, adenoids removed. and mouth surgery. Every doctor told us that it was propably caused by lack of oxygen at birth but who can prove it.

Other then that--I have older child with phonetic dyslexia, hoshimotos, and other med. problems but healthy and appears normal, and younger child who is 2 and has never been sick(knock on wood).

I had stress with each pregnancy and I choose not to believe it was anything I did. I also ate healthy with son. I lost 37 lbs while pregnant with him though.

Chris

Chris

Old 01-14-2007, 05:12 AM   #11
(female)

marissamm HB User

when i was prego, with my son who is hfa, i didn't have any stress, but when he was born the nurse made a comment about his umbilical cord, one tube was hollow i asked the doctor what will that do to my son he said he didn't know but the med proffesionals were passing it around saying how odd that was, i looked at it myself and sure enough one tube was completely hollow, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it, when my daughter was born i looked at hers and it was normal, weird huh.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
(female)

smw73 HB User

I was born with Autism and epilepsy. My mother used to think that maybe it was because she experienced stress during her pregnancy. (I don't think I was all that planned!) She also thought that maybe it could have been because she took medicine which was later banned during the pregnancy in 1973. But there seems to be a genetic component in my family as well for it. And I had a complicated birth. So there were a few factors which could have been involved. I feel sorry for my mother that she seemed to punish herself over it, as I was growing up.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
(female)

Barbie B. HB User
Re: Do you think that you had a lot of stress during your pregnancy with your autisti

I have informally surveyed many mothers, and I can tell you it is the pitossen and thimerasol combination (perhaps with some other drugs mixed in -no question). We have a lawsuit pending against the drug companies.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User
Re: Do you think that you had a lot of stress during your pregnancy with your autisti

What are these drugs used for? Pitossen and thimerasol?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Pitocin is a drug used to artificially induce or augment labor. Thimerosal is a preservative that was used extensively in vaccinations packaged in multiple dose vials as a preservative. Its about 50% mercury by weight (its structure for anyone who cares is CH3-Ch2-Hg). Mercury is a potent and known neurotoxin. Attaching mercury to a 2 carbon chain makes the mercury more able to cross into the brain thus increasing its neurotoxicity. In the late 1990's, as part of a government study that was looking at environmental exposures to a variety of toxins that average people come into contact with in their day to day lives, for the first time, someone added up all the mercury people are exposed to from vaccinations. They found that some infants were being exposed to mercury 167 times the EPA exposure guidelines on a single well-baby check office visit from their vaccinations! To make matters worse, those exposure guidelines are based on environmental exposure in adults. A healthy adult's body has several mechanisms in place to protect itself from toxins like mercury. For instance, if you were to spill mercury on your skin, your skin helps to protect you from the mercury and only a fraction of the mercury would actually be absorbed from the skin. We as a nation were injecting our infants with mercury, so we were bypassing those protective mechanisms. We were attaching the mercury to a 2 carbon chain, which helps the mercury bypass the blood brain barrier and penetrate the central nervous system, and we were doing this to infants who have immature metabolism and once injected their body couldn't clear the toxin as well as an adult could. Since this discovery, Thimerosal has been phased out of many vaccinations. Children born today are exposed to less than children of the 80's and 90's, but there is still some exposure.

The big question regarding Thimerosal though is was there harm done and if so what exactly was the harm. Many people feel Thimerosal was responsible for the spike in autism spectrum disorder affected children in the 1980's and 1990's. Its a huge debate and if you do a little poking around on the Internet you can find lots to read on the topic. Personally, I think Thimerosal impacted some children on the spectrum, but I think there are probably a variety of other causes of ASD's too.

The Pitocin issue is even murkier. We don't know what triggers the onset of labor. Some theories think the placenta sends signals to mom's body to get the ball rolling, others think the infant once mature enough produces some sort of chemical signal to the mom to initiate labor. Pitocin could be completely innocent in the whole autism issue. It could be that autistic infants don't send out the chemical trigger to start labor, or some sort of placental defect has a role in the triggering of autism and also the failure of labor to start naturally. I have seen statistics that show that autistic kids were more likely to have had to have medical interventions to progress their mother's labor, but it could be that the labor is impaired from the autism and the need then for Pitocin is coincidental. No one knows the answer to this one yet.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Last edited by Laenini; 02-07-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: add Pitoncin information

Closed Thread