It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

Dolceaura HB User
Segment on Autism on 60 Minutes

I didn't know if this had already been posted but just in case, tonight, Sunday, February 18th, at 7p.m. ET, 60 Minutes will be spotlighting Autism and the new estimates 1 in 150 diagnosed.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

Mom2PDD HB User
Re: Segment on Autism on 60 Minutes

I watched this, but I didn't find it very helpful. Stuff we are already talking about on this site. Early diagnosis is the KEY!!! Even at 1 year old.....
What did you all think about it if seen? Michele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

that video disgusted me.

autism isnt a DISEASE and people who have it aren't BROKEN.

why is that so hard for everyone to understand?

its a different type of thought processing that leads to a different personality, whats wrong with that? absolutely nothing. i find anyone who treats these kids like are something to be pittied and "fixed" revolting and abusive to that child.

"we are not defective, just different" how would it feel for these people who rag on autism if it was the other way around, and NTs were taught to be "fixed" to "act normal" i wonder.

and that 1/150 estimate?
my own personal studied disprove that, the rate is MUCH higher.

they also only did that study in 14 state, and in some states they only checked a few counties, AND this was done 5 years ago, its NOT accurate or recent.

the media is encouraging "our bad name"
i dont think NTs and AS should so alianting of eachother, its Awful!
and forcing a child to change their brain functioning? i dont know. i mean they dont allow cloans but they allow this? talk about hypocrits on ethics.

and if they ever are able to diagnose autism before a child is born, its going to end up like Down Syndrome. most of them will be aborted as if these kids are somehow not as good as normal children.

i am not even a high functioning autitsic, and i can say, from my point of view, i LIKE who i am, i LIKE my strange thought processing, and who are THEY to tell me im "wrong" for being different?

just saying, its incredibly rude and ignorant to talk about autistic people that way.

Last edited by iyami; 02-18-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Iyami;

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We ( the general population ) are strangers to the inside world of Autism. I can speak for myself when I say that I have done all I can to keep my son out of the withdrawal that so naturally is a piece of Autism. I want my son to be a part of the world that we all live in. I accept his differences and he is learning to accept the differences of the world outside of his natural instinctive desire to withdraw.

I feel sorry that you are so offended and I don't believe there is any intent to insult or diminish the differences that prevail in Autistic individuals. I am truly amazed by the minds of Autistic People. There is so much more to an Autistic person inside than what is shown on the surface. We as mothers and families want to know our kids. It hurts us to see our kids isolate themselves when we know there is so much there that we don't even know about them.

Again, these efforts to understand Autism are not in any way meant to offend the people who have it. I understand what you are saying I only hope you can understand our desire to want to know our kids inside and out.

Best Regards

Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
(male)

ANGDAD HB User

Well said Jeffrey's Mom! I appreciate hearing the other side also, but if all of our children could explain to us what it feels like to have autism, than we wouldn't even be posting on this board.

JM

Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i am always upset when people call autism itself a disability, autism is a label for a type of thought processing.

i mean the people with autism who Are disabled are not disabled because of the autism, its other reasons, like extreme hypersensitivity, immune deficiencies, mental retardation.

i mean i have verbal difficulties, but im certainly not disabled, i have other very strong suits.

there are atleast 1/50 people who are autistic, not 1/150.

ive had older autistic adults yell at me for saying its not a disability, and they call me a lair when i say my parents were not sad when i was diagnosed, but im not lieing. if i try to explain why i think it cant be a disability, they just say 'your too young to know anything about anything!" ive never once had a person prove it to be a disability.

but i have met alot of other auties who agree with me, we are not worse/lesser off, only different.

i also hear other auties laugh so hard when people try to tell them that autism is caused by mercury poisoning, thats such a big lie/myth.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I think there is a samantics problems between the two camps. I don't consider my son's personality to be a disability. I think he is delightful. But I don't consider his unique personality to be his autism. When I speak of curing my son's autism, I am talking about the sensory issues and the immune dysfunction that he suffers. In my opinion that is his autism and it is a disease; as his immune systems heals his disabling "autistic traits" disappear. The DAN doctors that want to cure autism try to restore the immune system.

As for the mercury--I do not believe all cases of autism are caused by mercury poisioning. However, there is tremendous evidence to sugguest that is one of the causes, especially for regressive autism. The symptoms for mercury poisioning are almost identical to the symptoms of classical autism.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyami View Post
ive had older autistic adults yell at me for saying its not a disability, and they call me a lair when i say my parents were not sad when i was diagnosed, but im not lieing. .
Hi iyami. Several months ago you were talking about getting a diagnosis. You also seemed worried about what your parents would think. I think that is wonderful that you were able to get a diagnosis and that your parents were okay with it. I would be really interested in hearing about the whole proceedure. I am sure others would also. If you feel like it maybe you could start a thread on it.

Closed Thread