It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

ruby41 HB User
Risks of having another child with Autism

Hi, I've got 2 kids a boy and a girl. The boy has autism. I'd like to try to have another child. Does anyone know what the chances are of having another child with autism. I know there are more boys born with autism. If vaccines are the cause of autism shouldn't there be a decrease in children getting diagnosed now that mercury has been taken out of the vaccines?

Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

Callista HB User
Re: Risks of having another child with Autism

One in 23, but if you do end up having another autistic child, you are pretty likely to end up with Asperger's Syndrome or some other high-functioning PDD variant.

Autism is being diagnosed more now, especially at the high-functioning end of the spectrum, because we are more aware of it. Asperger Syndrome has only been an official diagnosis since 1995; only recently have people been aware of autism and PDDs enough to recognize them reliably. Autism was often misdiagnosed as developmental delay, schizophrenia, and/or obsessive-compulsive disorder; high-functioning autism, as ADHD, oppositional-defiant disorder, social anxiety, or simple eccentricity.

Since the recent studies in which they have found the genetic markers for autism, it is pretty certain that autism is genetic and the MMR vaccine is not a cause.

Last edited by Callista; 03-04-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

To what genetic markers do you refer, Callista? I am just curious as I haven't come across that information myself yet.

Ruby, I was in your shoes once. I had a 12 year old daughter and then a 9 year old son and the 9 year old had Asperger's. My Asperger's child has been a real challenge from a behavioral point of view and back in those days he took all my time, attention and energy. I got remarried at that time and my new husband really wanted a child of his own. I was scared to death to have another as I was afraid of raising another child like my asperger's child, and I just didn't feel like I had it in me to do that! But my new husband had been fathering my 2 children from my first marriage, and I felt he had earned the right to have one of his own, so we went ahead and got pregnant. To make a long story short, we did end up with another autistic child, the youngest one being even more severely affected than his older brother. BUT that little boy is the light of my life! His temperament is completely different from his brother's and he has been much easier to handle. I also like to think that he's been easier too because I learned so much from parenting the first child! After Zach (the youngest child) was born I hurried up and got my tubes tied to prevent anymore pregnancies because I was still scared of more autism at that point. I honestly regret that action now and if I could I'd try to have one more child. If the child was autistic, then so be it! There are many different ways to look at the situation, but my beliefs are that God has created all types of people and all those types of people are valuable. I believe God gave me a second special child to raise because I did well with the first one, and if he gave me a third it would just be that much more of an honor to me.

Ruby, if you want another child, go for it! You will love that child no matter what, and that child's life will have value no matter what! And just like me, I'll bet you have learned a lot too from parenting the first special child in your family.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I think you're brave to have more kids. I have a nearly 5 yr old daughter who is neuro-typical, and then a son who is almost 3 1/2 and has Autism. He's high functioning, but his behavior is off the charts sometimes. My kids came real close together, and being that he was a real handful even as an infant, my husband and I just didn't see having anymore children. So when my son was 7 months old, my husband had a vasectomy. Sometimes I think I would like to have another child- a daughter. But there's no way of knowing what gender I would have, let alone what issues my child may have. And I don't know if I have the patience to deal with another special needs child. So I think for now, it's better to just focus my attention on the two kiddos I have.

Closed Thread