It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
(male)

ANGDAD HB User
Receptive Language

Do ASD kids typically have more issues with expressive or receptive language, or both? My 14 month old son seems to have decent receptive language skills. If we ask him "where's the ball" or "where's mama", he will point at things that we name, but he doesn't say mama or ball. Is this one of the typical things that others saw in their child or do a lot of kids on the spectrum also have trouble with receptive language when they are young?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

sonj186 HB User
Smile Re: Receptive Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGDAD View Post
Do ASD kids typically have more issues with expressive or receptive language, or both? My 14 month old son seems to have decent receptive language skills. If we ask him "where's the ball" or "where's mama", he will point at things that we name, but he doesn't say mama or ball. Is this one of the typical things that others saw in their child or do a lot of kids on the spectrum also have trouble with receptive language when they are young?

Thanks.
hi, my 4 year old has asd and has always known what we were talking about ie. pointing and naming things his receptive language is very good but even still now struggles with expressive language this is something that we have to work on with speach therapy etc, 14 months is still very young and may just be a late talker.

sonj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

Summer'68 HB User
Re: Receptive Language

If you don't mind me asking when was your son deemed ASD? 14 months is really early from my experience and I wonder what was a determining fact in the the end result, of ASD.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
(male)

ANGDAD HB User

He hasn't been diagnosed yet. He is going back to the DEV. PED. in April. He has MANY red flags however. I'm still hoping he's just delayed, but I'm intelligent enough to realize that this probably isn't the case.

John

Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
(female)

hasmig HB User

My son (3 years old, knew hewas ASD at 15 months, dx'd at 22months) never pointed and has more trouble with receptive skills than expressive. Just out of curiosity what are your son's "red flags." For what you described so far he sounds typical...mother's know best though...just curious

Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
(male)

ANGDAD HB User

His other flags are:

-Low muscle tone- Nowhere near walking yet

-Inconsistent answering to his name

-He's always had bad eye contact

-Doesn't do any reciprocal play (eg. doesn't show us or hand us stuff)

-No pretend play (eg. doesn't hold toy phone to ear or anything)

-content to sit and play by himself

-Some repetitive play

John

Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
(female)

Summer'68 HB User

It is hard to say, milestones at such a young age are not craved in stone as to when they need to be met, each child is differient.

From the few posts that I had read of your situation you are ahead of the game in being aware. Don't frighten yourself into every possibility. What ever the dx is you will find what is needed for Ang and we will all be here to offer resources and avenues (well traveled, lol).

Enjoy him, he is safe with you and that is all that he really needs.

JJB

Last edited by Summer'68; 03-15-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Closed Thread