It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

sonj186 HB User
Angry Speech Therapy Uk.

Hi Im A Bit Concerned About The Lack Of Speech Therapy My Son Is Recieving! He Is Now 4 Years And 3 Months Old, We Were Told At His 2 Year Assesment That He Should Have Some Speech Therapy However My Husband Is In The R.a.f And They Were Moving Us From Scotland To The Midlands In England So We Were Told To Mention It To Our Health Visitor When We Moved, Well To Cut A Long Story Short She Didnt Think He Needed It And Wouldnt Refer Us So We Saw Our Doc And He Said They Were Very Overstretched And He Wouldnt Refer Us! Well It Took Almost 18 Months To Finaly Get A Referal! He Had Had A 6 Week Block Of 30 Mins A Week Then A 3 Month Break This Was All Before Christmas, We Went Back For A Review Last Week Only To Be Told That They Dont Think He Needs Any More! As He Can Be Quite Difficult He Wont Always Do What They Want Him To And It Always Has To Be On His Terms. I Just Want To Know How Much Other People Are Recieving And If Their Children Are Expected To Be Model Students When It Is Well Known They Have Issues!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User
Re: Speech Therapy Uk.

Unfortunately, you are in the UK, and I can only speak for the US, but the amount of speech therapy your son needs would be dependent on what is speech is like irrespective of his diagnosis. That being said, most kids I know with any type of developmental delay recieve at least 30 min per week of speech therapy throughout the school year. This is definitely not dependent on the behavior of the child. A therapist is expected to know how to work with a difficult child. But again, this is in the states.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

sonj186 HB User

Hi Lisa, I Now It Sounds Much Better In The Us I Have Read Some Other Threads About It And They Sound Much More Aware Of What Is Needed! I Seem To Spend My Whole Time On The Phone Trying To Get Answers From People About Camerons Various Appointments Only To Get Fobbed Off To Another Department!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
(female)

sarahponari HB User

hi im also in the uk, in the midlands, i have been told that my daughter who is 2 in May needs speech therapy, although we werent told how long we would have to wait for, how much she would need etc etc, so i havent got any advice as my daughter is younger than your son, but i do know how rubbish and how slow alot of the things are in england regarding kids health, i think the only way to do it is to really push the doctors etc, if you feel he still needs speech therapy. im not a pushy sort of person which is the problem with me, as well as speech problems and alot of symptoms of autism, my daughter has suffered from a bad chest since she was born, they havent done anythig about that either, but i have heard of people pushing for diagnosis/speech therapy and all sorts of other things over here and it works, sometimes so maybe you should try it you wont loose anything(for this sort of thing i wish i lived in the US as it does seem to be alot better over there)
sorry i couldnt be of any help i just wanted to add my little bit on here

Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
(female)

sonj186 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahponari View Post
hi im also in the uk, in the midlands, i have been told that my daughter who is 2 in May needs speech therapy, although we werent told how long we would have to wait for, how much she would need etc etc, so i havent got any advice as my daughter is younger than your son, but i do know how rubbish and how slow alot of the things are in england regarding kids health, i think the only way to do it is to really push the doctors etc, if you feel he still needs speech therapy. im not a pushy sort of person which is the problem with me, as well as speech problems and alot of symptoms of autism, my daughter has suffered from a bad chest since she was born, they havent done anythig about that either, but i have heard of people pushing for diagnosis/speech therapy and all sorts of other things over here and it works, sometimes so maybe you should try it you wont loose anything(for this sort of thing i wish i lived in the US as it does seem to be alot better over there)
sorry i couldnt be of any help i just wanted to add my little bit on here
THANKS FOR THAT, I AM JUST GETTING FRUSTRATED WITH THE WHOLE THING I SEEM TO BE GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES! ANOTHER THING CAM HAS AN ISSUE WITH IS ACID REFLUX I SAW THE DOC FOR THAT LAST WEEK AND MENTIONED THAT IT COULD POSSIBLE BE A HIATUS HERNIA SHE DIDNT EVEN CHECK HIM SHE JUST GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR GAVISCON! I HAVE ALSO ASKED FOR HIS TITERS TO BE CHECKED TO SEE IF HE IS IMMUNE AFTER HIS FIRST MMR AS I DONT WANT HIM TO HAVE THE PRE SCHOOL BOOSTER NOW SHE JUST SAID SHE DIDNT KNOW IF IT WAS POSSIBLE! AND SHE WOULD HAVE TO SPEAK TO THE HOSPITAL ABOUT IT! I JUST GET THE FEELING THAT THEY ARE GETTING REALLY FED UP WITH ME AND THEY THINK I AM JUST AN OVER PROTECTIVE MOTHER! WHICH IM NOT, OBVIOUSLY IF I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG I CHECK IT OUT BUT IM CERTAINLY NOT NEUROTIC! WHAT I CANT UNDERSTAND IS WHY EVERYTHING TAKES SO LONG FOR CHILDREN, THEY SHOULD TAKE PRIORITY ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE PROBLEMS COMMUNICATING PAIN ECT!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

Loui1970 HB User

Hi,

I also live in the uk. My daughter is now nearly eight. We only got her diagnosed after moving from Birmingham to Reading. She also needed speech therapy at 3 and i waited 10 months for her appointment only to be told that her attention span was way to short. in all i think Mia has suffered with her speech and this is displayed when she talks with a inmaturity of a 4 to 5 year old. The uk has so much to answer for when it comes to health care for children a lot of them seem to get lost in the system. Its like if they dignose any child they no they have to pay for them.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

sonj186 HB User

hi loui, hope you find the healthboards usefull, i know i have, i have had much more advice from using them than i have got from anywhere else!
thanks for your reply, we are in lincolnshire, out in the sticks! so trying to get anything done by the doc is like trying to get blood from a stone! i cant believe how much better the americans are at dealing with these problems! you know they say we have the best free healthcare in the world! to be honest i would rather have to pay and get a decent service!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User

You know my husband says the same thing (he is English) because we do have a problem in the US with so many people not having health insurance, but if you do have insurance, you don't have to wait like you do in the UK.

Special ed services though, are not through the health insurance, they are through the school systems. Early Intervention starts at birth and they come to your home. Then usually at age 2, your child can go to a school based program and receive therapys there at school. I am a special ed teacher in elementary (primary) school, but I did work two years with 2 to 4 year olds.

Lisa

Closed Thread