It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

tammy01 HB User
Homeschooling

I have been homeschooling my son for almost three months now. When we started he couldn't trace anything. Had trouble holding any kind of writing instrument. Didn't know any letters or numbers or colors.
Now he can hold his writing utensil, trace shapes without any hand over hand, do connect the dots by number no hand over hand just me pointing where to start and what number to go to next. I say the number as I point to it. He can paint pictures using a brush, trace letters with just a little guidance and write the letter A with a little help.
He is nonverbal, and his understanding and following directions was really poor, now his understanding and following directions has improved a great deal. His attention span has increased and he his able to focus and apply himself to his work better
I am so proud of my son.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User
Re: Homeschooling

Congragulations. You son is fortunate you have been able to take the time to spend with him. I suspect that ASD children could progress as yours has if they only had 1:1 support, which, of course, they don't. Keep up the good work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Hi Tammy

You should be proud of yourself, too! Congratulations on what you have achieved together - it's so heart-warming when all of that hard work starts to yield results.

I'm really happy for you and hope you both continue to do so well - keep us posted!

x

Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

That's wonderful!! It's amazing just how much can happen when you work one on one.

We started homeschooling our kids 4 years ago. My son has aspergers. It was the best thing we ever did. Not every day is easy but it's certainly worth it.

We'll never go back to the system if we can help it.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

Hi it is so great when you see your child making progress! we also homeschool. my son is 8 and has aspergers.
We tried public school this year and it was a sp. program for spectrum kids to make a long story short ... the teacher hada bad day and my son has regressed 2 years .... we will never return to public schools the damage is done and it only took one day!! we just are taking thigs slow and i know we cn make progress again i can only stay focused on that or my heart feels so sad....

Last edited by ladybuggy02; 03-26-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

tammy01 HB User

I regret not pulling my son out sooner. When I think of where he could be now if I had started homeschooling him years age, my heart breaks.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

That is so great that your son's development has improved so much! I'm curious how you deal with the social aspects of Autism? Is he in social therapy? Or does he have lots of play dates, etc?

Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Personally I find kids with autism/Aspergers tend to learn social skills better from adults who already know proper social skills. It's tough to learn social skills from children/peers who don't really understand social skills themselves whether they are nt or not.

Schools are full of horrible social skills. Bullying, teasing, swearing, fighting, fooling around, etc. Those aren't appropriate social skills. When you homeschool you can take you kids to a lot of places where they can interact with adults and learn appropriate skills.

That being said, usually when you homeschool there are still lots of opportunities to play with and have friends. My kids have lots of friends on the block still that they play with after school, there are lots of homeschool activities as well. My kids are involved in film school, swimming lessons, musicals, play dates, hs teen nights, youth group, church events, etc.

We are rarely home! *grin*

Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
(female)

tammy01 HB User

I have a very outgoing daughter who plays with my son all the time. Plus we go places where he can be around other childred. My husband and I also spend a lot of time playing with the kids.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

My son and my daughter play well together (Ok, so they don't always play *well* ), but they're pretty typical, I think, when it comes to sibling interaction. My kids don't have play dates (I don't know any parents well enough for that), but they do play through the fence with some girls who live behind us.

My son mostly does parallel play, though. I agree that he probably would learn better manners from adults- his parents, teachers, etc. , but his teachers tell me that they still have to push to get him to initiate with his peers.

Closed Thread