It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

Canadiangal HB User
Anyone's child not diagnosed w/ Autism but you still wonder?

My son is 4 and he has a moderate expressive communication delay. I was also told there were some social issues as well - a year ago. He was seen by an SLP, OT, Child Psychiatrist and Psychologist who said he did not fall on the Spectrum. In fact, the child Psycholgist said if my son had Autism - he would "turn his badge in." Anyway, I took him to see a private SLP for help and she sort of indicated he could be on the spectrum. This angers me because obviously she is NOT a Dr. Part of me wonders if he could be slightly on the spectrum. His speech and social are constantly improving. However, he still loves to rock, and flap his arms when excited. I was told this is more overflow movements. He will stop when I tell him to. I am worried that he will do this when he starts JK in Sept. and teachers might think it is a red flag. I would love to hear thoughts on this. He is such a wonderful boy. He's so cute, loving, caring, loves to play, loves his older brother, loves to be cuddled, sucks his thumb and walks around with a blanket. He is toilet trained and transitions are easy for him.
Thanks for listening!

Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

grandma.intense HB User
Re: Anyone's child not diagnosed w/ Autism but you still wonder?

SID (sensory integration disorder)
can be mis-diagnosed as ADD or hyperactivity [[and even Autism,]] ---then they put the kid on drugs and it doesn't work. Why? because they are not treating the issues with THERAPY and desensitization. Your child being able to transition is GREAT!!! Take comfort in that.
This seems to be a big problem right now with young kids. They are not on the Spectrum, but still exhibiting odd behaviors.

All the pesticides and toxins in food may have something to do with it.
Otherwise, I cannot figure out why so many more kids are autistic. 1 in 150. And many more have one or more SENSORY issues that are going undiagnosed as bad behavior or being spoiled. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The therapist who said mild spectrum disorders could be right. Therapy will target the problem areas and help him adjust to the rigors of school. And you will see the improvement.

The hand and arm flapping is annoying but is not necessarily a red flag. My brother did the hand flapping for several years. My mom told him he looked like a bird. Finally, that phase was over ... In fact he is now a doctor making hundreds of thousands a year ---that particular issue should be put to rest.

Kids are just trying to slow down their brains and focus. That activity can be re-directed and another tool used for focusing. Get a small trampoline (not too high) or a big ball and let him roll around on it.
let him jump and get the adrenaline going. Anything to stop the annoying behavior. A Sensory therapist will know what to do.

A parent who feels uncomfortable is probably more right than the therapist who sees him for an hour. believe me there are a lot of kids out there who need therapy for one thing or another and they are NOT getting it.

Last edited by grandma.intense; 05-06-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread