It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Denied Life Insurance due to AS/ADHD?

Ds1 is an underwriter on dh's policy and they denied him because of his AS/ADHD. He isn't medicated or depressed or anything. Can they do this???

Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BetsyAnn HB User
Re: Denied Life Insurance due to AS/ADHD?

If you already had a rider policy on your son attached to your husbands, they can not deny him. The rider guarantees him insurabiltiy. Now if this is not already in place the underwriters, the people who make the determination on insurability, may actually deny any body they want. However, they should not for AS or ADHD since these conditions do not shorten ones life span. Most insurance companies do not have specific questions on their forms that ask about ASD so it does not need to be disclosed.

You need to have your agent go to bat with the underwrites and explain what AS is. They are most likely looking at very outdated information.

Last edited by BetsyAnn; 05-17-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

cjjimenez HB User

My father passed away in oct of 2005,so it got me to thinking about that my son who was 23 at the time had no burial insurance.I was thinking if anything happened to him how could I afford his burial? Before my fathers death I didnt really think about my son dying, because he has always been so healthy. He has fragile x syndrome and autism which neither one should shorten his life span.Well I called an insurance comany one day it represented several different companies. Everything was fine untill I told them his age and they said he would have to be the one to take out the policey. I then explained to them that I was his parent and his guardian,and then I explained to them his disability. I told them he had fragile x syndrome and explained to themwhat it was and that it wasnt a physical disabilty. They then told me that they would not cover him. So I didnt look into it anymore. The bad thing is that he has always been so healthy and two weeks after I checked into the insurance he was dx with stage 3 colon cancer. Now Im sure that he will never qualify for the insurance. I would like to add that he was dx in nov 2005, colon resection in nov 2005, he finished hischemo in july2006. He has been doing very wellwith no signs of cancer reoccuring for the last18 months.Im very interest also as why they will not let someone with fragile x syndrome or autsim get life insurance. Maybe I didnt look into it enough. Sorry that this has turned into such a long post.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

Talk to my friend who sells life ins and he said YES, the deny anyone w/ Autism until they are older and they know how it will effect their lives.

GURRRR

Closed Thread