It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
(female)

caza HB User
lack of understanding

hi my son is six and autistic he has many problems he is doubly inncontinant and has no sense of danger he has just started to speak after many years of p
PECS he cannot feed himself or dress himself but the worst the most hartbreaking is the lack of undrestanding when you ask how are you today and if your lucky he will look at you blankly because he dosnt understand the words am i right in thinking this is a main characteristic in autism i allways was told itwas .my friends daughter is said to be autistic but iask her many things you would a normal4 year old she nods and shakes her head in all the right places but she wont speak but she understands perfectly i am really confused

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

monkey3 HB User
Re: lack of understanding

Hello - I have a 5 year old with autism who is not very verbal. It is so hard when you see typical children. My 2 girls 9 and 6 are typical and a little boy from the neighbourhood was playing with them along with some other boys. And when we step out of our bubble it is heartbreaking over and over again. I am thinking of paying out of pocket (not that we can afford it) for additional speech outside of school and only hope that will help. But I do understand your pain - I will ask Nicolas "what's your name?" and he of course will answer "Nicolas" but if I ask him "Who are you" he looks at me like I have ten heads. Good luck with you child it is a long, long, road to haul. I would like to leave you with something my eldest daughter told me some time ago. She thinks that the Angels know who will and who will not be a good Mummy to these children and thats why he choose us, and you too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

Unhappygirl74 HB User
Re: lack of understanding

caza, my son will be six in Feb. he's just started to make sense with his words. He just started kindergarten and he gets called freak among some other wonderful names because of his difference. I wish so much sometimes that they made special schools for special children like ours. Maybe they do and I just haven't researched it enough.
I know how you feel when you say you feel confused. Logan is different yet he's not like every autistic child you meet. Every child is different and then there's different functions of autism which is confusing for me also. Logan was diagnosed maybe a half a year ago and yet I still feel like I don't know anything about autism and how his life is going to be as he grows up.

monkey3, that is such a touching thing your daughter said. I'll have to keep that in mind because some days I feel like I'm not a great mom.

Closed Thread