It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
(male)

miniheli HB User
Could I have autism at 17/18?

Hello I know most of you talk about your son or daughter's here but I really need some help. Im 17 in my last year of high school and was a recently diagnosed with diabetes 7 months ago. Ive been having a learning disability my whole life. When I was about 5-10 I had to go to a psychiatrist for odd behaviors. I used to throw my moms cloth and shoe's out the window and other weird stuff. She said I had a.d.d. Than had to spend some time in a speech therapist class in elementary school.

I had a tough time learning. When I try to learn I wounded up forgetting what I have learned in about 1 minute or less. My mind would fly all the time. So they continued to put me in special ed classes. I still have an IEP. I researched autism on the internet last night. Very very odd. Almost all the symptoms seem to match almost perfectly.

I have a hard time talking to people. In fact I hate talking to people its really really hard to speak let alone looking at the person's face while talking. I used to not look at someone's face when talking to them because I couldent think while talking to them. Right now, I force my self to make eye contact with the person im talking to because I dont want them to think im not paying attention, but its really hard to do. My words get jumble up.I cant multi task at all! Great and Im starting to drive. I find it very hard to make friends. I just sit at lunch by my self reading a helicopter magazine. I thought this new school year would get me at least one person to talk to but I cant. I used to go to a small school for special ed students that only had about 100 students. I had two friends. I still talk to them through chat online. They always want me to use Skype to speak over the internet. Even though I dont need to make eye contact ,im still finding it just as hard as talking to them in person. I also have a hard time thinking of stuff to start and continue a conversation. Maybe thats why its so hard to make new friends...

I also read some where about sensory over load. I get this alot and gets me a big head ache. (Example) Here I am sitting in class. The lights seem brighter. I hear the whole class talking at once. People tapping there pen, shuffling paper. I cant pay attention! I hear, feel ,see all this stuff all at once, I thought everyone was like this.

I heard autistic kids are really smart? Im just a bit bellow average could it be just from a.d.d and not something like autism.

Now back to being social. Again I hate going out side. I never do. It's a very rare occasion for me to go outside. It requires force for me to go outside for anything. When I am outside alone. It feels like I dont belong. Feel like people think im weird. They probably don't but evry look that a person gives me triggers me to think what they are thinking about me instantly. Walking down the streets with people looking at you, I cant stand it, I would walk really fast and not know it, than I would realize im walking to fast and force my self to walk like evryone else. I really try to make my self behave like everyone else when im in public. 2 months ago I have learnd how to deal with this. I would just simply stop thinking. Once I get started on thinking I cant stop. With out thinking, I wouldn't find these stupid unimportant patterns in things. With out thinking, un wanted questions and pictures dont pop up in my head all of the sudden. This helps a little but everything is still very disorganized. What ever this is, its ruining my life.

Did more research. I do have trouble finding out what people mean. Is it a joke? Why did she say that? 1 minutes later after that talk was finished. I continue to replay over and over what just happend in my head. Cant help it.

Ive got the some lists of symptoms from this site. [url]http://www.*****.com/brain/Autism/Autism-Symptoms[/url]
They say people with autism like to read train schedules and stuff that's very mathematical. Im not like that at all. I hate math. Also it says on that site that they do the same routines. Thats the complete opposite of me. Im very inconsistent.

"body rocking, hand flapping" I have these tendencies to do things over and over again, if I dont I begin panakeng. For example. If I something touches me softly, I have to push on that spot harder. Keep on wiggling my toes and sometimes it bleeds. My hands are the same way. I would keep squeezing my hand's because soft touches don't really feel like anything so I push on it until I feel something. Im doning it now as I type. Also developed weird sounds with my mouth that started in 9th grade. Im in 12th now. Really bad habits. It really hurts when im at school and im trying to suppress these urges for these stupid habits. My most hated habit is not being able to talk in my head when I want to. Talking in my mind makes me talk out loud when I say t or s or v sounding words.

Now I took an online test to help see if someone is autistic or not. It said the average was something like 16.4 and a person that is considered autistic is 32 or above. I scored 39 but it is just a test. The test also said this is not used to diagnose people. Just really want to know whats wrong with me. Ive been living like this for my whole life and im fed up with it. Its my last year in high school and what ever it is, if its autism or something else I want it to stop.

If I did have autsim wouldent they already know??

The following user gives a hug of support to miniheli:
Sadlady1 (09-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Could I have autism at 17/18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniheli View Post
If I did have autsim wouldent they already know??
Not necessarily, no. I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome until I was 18 1/2- right around your age. High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's aren't very well known about. It is very possible that you could have a form of autism and have "slipped through the cracks," so to speak. If you suspect that you have strong autistic tendencies and you are scoring highly on the quizzes, you may want to consider talking to a doctor or psychologist about seeking a diagnosis. In my opinion, it's never too late to get a diagnosis- it helped explain a lot about my life.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

luckystar HB User

First of all I wanted to say Hello

My son is 16 and has AS-Aspergers. I agree with GatsbyLuvr1920, it is possible to have such a mild form of Autism/AS that people just maybe thought you were quirky or odd . Are you close with your parents. Have you been able to talk to them about this? Did you have an IEP thru school?

I heard autistic kids are really smart? Im just a bit bellow average could it be just from a.d.d and not something like autism.

Not all kids that have Autism are "smart" as movies may make it appear. My son learned alot in his early years. Memorized everything. I have read, and this has been true with him, AS kids tend to level off in their adolencent years.

I am not sure who would give you the best diagnoses at this age. I would try an Educational psychologist or Clinical psychologist

Hope this helps.....good luck to you

Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
(male)

miniheli HB User

Thanks for all the replys.

"Are you close with your parents. Have you been able to talk to them about this? Did you have an IEP thru school? "

I am very close to my parents but......... ive never really talk to them about this stuff, rember I always try to act like im normal (i hide it). Up until now, I thought evryone's mind was like this so thought mine wasn't so different. Parents seen my embarrassing habits. My little brother would make fun of me. So I just forced my self to stop doing it because my parents told me to stop, so I did. Only do these tendencies when im alone. Besides if I told them, they would probably say you think you have something wrong with you all the time its just your imagination.
I got my IEP through school awhile back.

Forgot to mention. I was like this for awhile now, but it seems as if its getting better with time. I could do things at my own will more. For example I used to have stuff pop up in my mind all the time. Now not so much. But I only get this control when my brain is not free to wonder
(when im busy doing something)

Ill see what I can do. Im worried about telling someone and it might just be nothing wrong. Again thanks for the help.

Last edited by miniheli; 09-11-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
(female)

luckystar HB User

I am sorry that you have to pretend to be someone your not that makes me sad. I wish the best of luck to you in this journey of life. I do hope there will come a time soon when you are able to go to your parents. I dont know if it would help to maybe get some books on Asperger or print off some information to show them.

in the meantime you always have friends and support here

Last edited by luckystar; 09-12-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
(male)

miniheli HB User

Thank you for your sympathy. I told my dad today while going home from school that I cant pay attention. I said "lights bother me so do sounds". Trying to get it through to him a little bit at a time.
Then he said " its because your diabetes". Well then I told him I have had this for awhile.
Ill keep trying and again thanks for all of your help. I have really found this forum to be helpful. Before posting about my medical problems here on healthboards.com I used to use one of my favorite rc helicopter site in the "off topic" section.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
(female)

elfie1 HB User

Hi. I wanted to tell you that I am a speech language therapist and do work with a large number of autistic, high function autistic, and asperger kids. And sometimes I wonder if I have asperger syndrome or if one of my twin daughters does (she is 16). I would just suggest you take a deep breath and think a bit about talking to a professional. Are you still in school? Is there a counselor whom you trust? Do you want to? How could it help you to find out?

I am somewhat confused myself about all the ranges of autistism on the Spectrum. I always thought my one twin daughter had autistic like wiggly fingers and no eye contact when she was very small and she used to have tantrums when something startled her. But she really developed into a chatty and happy little girl. I still see what I saw. She and I have talked about it. She would like to know, so we are having a complete psychological evaluation in the next few months. But we talked about not doing anything. She is in a group therapy with peers to help her get along with people (she seems to have no impulse control and says the most mean things). She used to get therapy for fine motor clumbsiness and on her school IEP she gets modifications to help her with her needs. She does not have obsessive interests in things like trains, either. Since she is getting what she needs, does she need another diagnosis? Well, she wants to know.

I have always had a fairly easy going approach to problems. That may not be right for everyone. I wish you the best in finding an answer for yourself.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
(male)

miniheli HB User

"Are you still in school? Is there a counselor whom you trust? Do you want to? How could it help you to find out?"

Yup im still in school. My last year in high school!
Its a large public school on Fairfax street. The counselors arnt the type to talk about problems like your daughter is having or mine. There always in a rush and the only thing I see them do is change people's classes. I wished I was still in my old school, there was a counselor I new well. Saw her every 3 days. Its weird one time I went to her and she did some sort of hypnosis, and she found out that my father was leaving us for another women. I told her everything, and I didnt even know it.

Im gonna wait a bit before I tell anyone. I still have other medical stuff. Im finally gonna get my insulin pump. No more injections for me. After that im gonna tell my dad. This will be a VERY big move for me cause I never say more than a sentence to him. So if I talk to him about this ,in his head he must be thinking "why is he talking more than usuall" . If I want this to get better I have to talk.

Hope your daughter finds the answers she's been looking for.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
(female)

michellemac1 HB User

Hello im nost sure if you have autism as alot of the things you say sounded alot like me when i was your age, my son has autisms o i attend a counsellor for him but i asked her once if i had it and she said no definately not, i have ocd tendencies and can relate to the touching things like you said, anyway i just wanted you to know that jsut becasue you feel weird at the moment it does pass, i was very similar to oyu at oyur age and I am now 33 and am a teacher, am married and have 2 kids, so please dont feel like oyu cant live a normal life hope this helps a little

Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
(male)

miniheli HB User

I don't feel disabled or anything, I know I can live a normal life its just theres more to it than one can type. Everyone is different. Yes it did help thank u.

Last edited by miniheli; 10-19-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Closed Thread