It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
(female)

emmitim2 HB User
autistic kid thats a very picky eater

what should i do? i feel so bad, my 2 yr old lil girl was diagnosed autistic and has been have problems for quit sometime and it is just getting worse and worse each and everyday! i will cook and buy food for my daughter all the time but nothing ever seems to please her because whatever i cook her she would never eat it even if she use to like it or has ate it once before? i don't know what to do? because i am so tired of feeling like i can never please or satisfy my daughter she is just so picky about texture, or the smell! everything always bothers her! what should i make her or how can i try to make her want to eat and try new things? just please help me because it makes me feel like a terrible mom?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
Re: autistic kid thats a very picky eater

this is just what I think, but there are usually many different opinions here on the board and that is what makes it great. You can try each one or non, if you like

I don’t believe you are a bad mom, this is normal for most children, but it just seems autistic children are more stubborn. I don’t think you have to give in to her every desire. I work in a day care and we have 1 child with autism, who only comes in for a few hours every second day, and one child with down syndrome who is a full timer, and one child who may be autistic, but we are unsure, mom thinks it is autism, but we are unsure because he is not diagnosed. And I could never say what I think it is, as I’m not a doctor,

All of the 3 children are VERY stubborn when it comes to food. The child with down syndrome more so then they other 2. They want it their way or no way, unfortunately it doesn’t go that way. Number one thing is that they eat healthy. With good communication with the parents, we always get them eating what we give them, sometimes the transition from getting what they want, to eating what we give them can take several months. Even close to a year. But with patience, support, it always works. we believe that it is not good to give them whatever they want all the time. But to have structure, they eat every 2 hours, and they eat what we give them or they don’t eat. Its their choice, if they are hungry they can have as much as they want. If they are not hungry, then 2 hours later they usually are hungry. If after 4 hours they still have not eaten, then we play, “who is more stubborn” game. the teacher or the child. And usually we win. We sit with the child talking to them, encouraging them to eat at least 3 bites. We may have to help them. We also notify the parents when they have very stubborn days.

so just patience, time, and sturcture, has worked for us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

Ohhhh this has been a battle in our house! They say a kid won't starve themself, but I think a kid on the spectrum would. The only thing I can suggest is to keep trying. My son was more willing to try new things when we were out in a restuarant or over to grandma's house. I know she is young but another thing that did help was school lunches. I refused to pack him a lunch and he was forced to eat at school. I was a nervous reck the first time, but when he came home and told me what he ate I will thrilled to say the least. I don't know if it was peer pressure or what, but it did work and he tries new things a lot lately. Maybe if she was to go to a sitter or a playdate's house? If you can believe this, tv has also had a influence on him. He will see a yogurt commercial and we talk about it...., find it in the store.... remind him "remember it was on tv?" and he is more willing try it.
Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User

Quote:
I refused to pack him a lunch and he was forced to eat at school. I was a nervous reck the first time,
lol I have seen that, we see the best progress with parents who stop packing lunch. and I have seen them freak out. “oh god, he is going to starve, oh god he is going to choke.” Being a parent is hard, and stressful, we can feel it as caregivers and I’m sure the children can feel it as well. But once things get better and they are eating more, I have seen the parents jump with joy because they bring these habits home as well. I hear “he has been eating so much food at home.”
But we still struggle with our little DS girl, it has been 2 years and she still will take one look at something and refuse to eat it. The good thing is, its usually sweets, like cake, healthy lunch seems to always get a few bites in before she just can’t sit in her seat anymore.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
(female)

darla72 HB User

Try to find the book Special Diets for Special Kids by Lisa Lewis and Karyn Seroussi's book about her son with autism, Unraveling the Mystery of Austism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

The gluten/casein free diet helps a lot of kids with autism. It may or may not help yours but it's worth a try. I'm trying it now with my son who is also very picky. It seems to be helping somewhat.

I would also recommend some of the testing done in karyn's book-testing your child's blood and urine to see if she is processing her food correctly or if she has any food allergies or sensitivities.

You're a great mom doing the best you can. Researching autism is a full-time job in addition to taking care of your child. You are not alone, we are all struggling through this with you. Good luck!

Dorine

Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

oliver07 HB User

hello yeah my 4 yearold son is the same very fussy
he will only eat muslie bars dry crackers oven fry chips
chicken nuggets but loves chocolate like his mum
when he was younger he ate everything i made
now different story i think he just loves anything salty

Closed Thread