It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

Mrs.Khan HB User
autism or only delayed development?

Hello everyone !! I am so confused ,worried and disappointed that I canít even explain .please help me .I ama sorry if The history is a bit long but I want to share everything and get the best opinion,
My son was borne premature (30 weeks gestation ) .his development has been slow .He is now 21 months old but he canít walk .he can glide holding to furniture . I always thought that his main problem is just delayed development because of prematurity .but now I have noticed some other problems with him as well . He doesnít make eye contact and even if he does it doesnít last for more than a sec .He also doesnít look at objects when I point at them .If he needs something he tries to hold it with his hand and doesnít point to it .he loves to play peek a boo though .He loves when I or anyone cuddles him or kiss him .He remembers the friends that he make but for a short time .I left him with my aunt when I had to go abroad for a week .I thought he was missing me as he was sad and stopped eating but when I came back he wasnít v happy to see me .Rather he was more happy to come and see our house (esp the tv and his play area ) .This made me think does he love material objects more than humans? He canít even say mama dada till now and even if he does ,I f eel he is just repeating it .He doesnít know how to relate names with objects .( I am severely depressed .he doesnít rock himself back and forth .But he also doesnít respond to voice .he likes making shrieks and he responds if I shriek .He responds to noises and he loves to listen to music .He laughs and giggles when he gets a new toy or when we cuddle him .That is his only way of making contact .He doesnít seem to be aware of danger .He got few cuts on his hand twice as he broke a glass and was playing with glass pieces .I think his pain threshold is more cause he cried only when I put antiseptic on him
Do u think its autism or can this only be delayed development .What can be done about these issues ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: autism or only delayed development?

Ms. Khan,

It sounds to me like your son may be developmentally delayed, probably due to his premature birth. Have you spoken to his pediatrician about your concerns? It doesn't necessarily sound like Autism, however I'm not a Dr. or psychologist so it would be best to consult with an expert. He shouldn't be playing with anything glass. Little ones have no concept of what can hurt them, so we must protect them. You know when you cut yourself it doesn't usually hurt until you start to clean the wound. Try not to worry too much, talk with your son's Dr. and give him lots of love and I think everything will be ok . Keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

mana63 HB User
Re: autism or only delayed development?

I think you should have a full evaluation. It is my understanding that each autistic child is different. But I did notice that you mentioned some things that are common among autistic child, such as avoiding eye contact and his lack of friends. Remember that the autism spectrim is very broad. I do recommend that you son see a professional.

Closed Thread