It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
autism consultant in schools

i know this sounds like something all schools would have on board by now, (given all the special needs kids diagnosed these days) but unfortunately my school district does not have an autism support/educator/consultant on staff. sure they have a program for severely autistic children but it seems the higher functioning kids are getting lost somewhere within the system. i haven't researched this yet but are we entitled to such a service. i have heard neighboring districts have a consultant come in and educate the teachers and staff as well as support the student to reach their best potential. is it unreasonable to ask the school district to hire a professional in autism related disorders come in to work with the teachers. i am so sick of hearing the school board try and convince me that Mrs. so and so has been a great special ed teacher for 40 years and is sure to be able to give some wonderful advice. SHE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT KIDS ON THE SPECTRUM. as a matter of fact, most teachers that i have come into contact with the last 2 years (in the public schools) don't know about ASD's.

any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User
Re: autism consultant in schools

My son has A.S. - The speech pathologist in the school is who coordinated his care and for the two autistic students in the school. We had excellent service through the speech dept. I pray you find the help you deserve for your child too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

You might want to contact your school board and ask them if they can do a inservice teaching session. They can invite professionals in to teach the teachers about autism, behavioral and teaching stratagies. Maybe do it on a supt. conference day? So you can reach the masses.
You really might get your voice out there if you do it a school board meeting. It would be hard to for them deny the need in front of the whole audience.
Really want it bad....organize it yourself....how could they say "no." Ask them for a date and time and make calls advocating the need for autism awareness in your district. I find that most professionals or any person that has great knowledge of autism has someone near and dear to them that has it. They probably have had the same issues you have had. Appeal to their humanity.
The only way we are going to get help for our kids is to fight for them.Be your child's advocate!!!!! Be their voice!!! Go get them girl!!!!
Good luck! I wish you all the best.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

thanks for your posts, ladies. i think you are right, meechieny. i think my best bet is to bring it up at a board meeting in front of an audience of parents. surely i'm not the only one in my district that feels this way. i am going to find out when the next open board meeting is and go do my thing.

my dad didn't nickname me "mouth" for nothing.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

OHHHHH MY GOODNESS!!!!! My parents called me "Mouth" too!!!!! How funny!!!!! Could you be a little sister of brothers? My mouth was my defense as a kid.
I know my son's class alone has at least 3 kids on the spectrum. Maybe you could rally other parents together to come with you?
Again good luck

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

lol. my parents were sure i would go into law because of my love of arguing but no cigar. actually, there are only 2 kids in my sons school that are on the spectrum and the other child we know very well. his mom and i are going to tag team this effort and hopefully get results. we are certainly no strangers to the board of ed because we have both gone head to head with them to get other services for our kids so they know we are serious.

i almost feel like my son is a celebrity in his school because i am constantly being approached by parents who tell me their kids want playdates with him. and that they love all the stories their kids come home with regarding my son. i guess all the talk in hollywood these days about celebrities and their special needs kids have people curious to find out more.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
(female)

luckystar HB User

It is done in my district. Be prepared if you go. Teachers are used to sitting thru in-services and do not always pay attention. I learned that the hard way. This year I got involved in what was going to take place at the inservice. My son, 16 actually did a short video on AS to show the teachers. It was great. The cordinators by law have to go over the specifics. at ours we also show video clips of kids on all over the spectrum for the age groups of kids for that particular school.
Hope this makes sense. It is late. It is important for everyone to make this happen at their school. I did a post on this a few weeks ago.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
(female)

luckystar HB User

I also just found out that my district is doing education for students. They are doing a presentation for 6-8th grade students on Autism/AS.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
(female)

ThreeBoys HB User

Well my experience has been sort of like yours. This year the school district created an autism kindergarten, and gave the teaching position to a lady that has been teaching special needs kids for 20+ years. Well she knows minimal about asd. We (us parents ) gave her a 2 month chance to get her act together. Then we had a parent meeting, decided what our next steps would be. We called a meeting w/ the director of special services and told him that if they didn't make some changes in the classroom, we were all going to pull our kids out. And yesterday, he got a new teacher in there that is very familiar with autism and she's alreadycontacting us with her ideas and asking us for ours.

BE SQUEAKY!!!! Our district is awesome in the fact that if you contact them, they'll promptly work w/ you...lots of legalities though, so be prepared for that!!! Good Luck!

Closed Thread