It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

lkg2hlpmybrthr HB User
NEED HELP! Discovered his autism.

I am eightteen years old, My little brother is almost fourteen and has just recently discoverd his autism during a testing. The school does testing to see how he needs to be taught and how to help him learn, during this last testing he over heard that he had autism and aspburgers, being in the up to date world we are in he came home and did some reasearch and found out that this is why all these years the kids in school and boy scouts have called him "retarded" and a "freak" and he is now in a depression we want him to know that there is a whole world of people with this and its not something that makes him a "freak". I have read that one in ever one hundred and sixty six children have it now thats alot speaking of how many children are born a day, month and year.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas so we can help him learn that its not a bad thing.

We have been thinking about a curch group.
but we also thought that boy scouts would be good but the boys picked on him, so we are open to about anything, anything that gets him socialy involved and happy.

p.s. he loves to sing and play guitar hero

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: NEED HELP. Discoverd his autism.

The numbers have even changed. It's is now 1 out of 150 kids born with a form of Autism. I bet he knows someone else who has it and hasn't realized it yet.
My son is seven, he has PDD-NOS, which like aspergers is on the autism spectrum. He doesn't know he has a "diagnosis". He feels good about himself now, suspects nothing different about him, so we are waiting until he starts to have questions. I feel so bad how your brother found out. It was very inappropiate of the teaching staff to let that happen, but it did and you are going to have to really help him during this time. Family is the most important thing in anyone's life and he is very lucky to have a sister like you.

What I'm planning on saying to my son when we get to that point is "your brain is wired different, not better, not worst, just different." I think it is a hard thing to handle what ever age you are ......especially 14, but if he has a big sister who loves him and says he is ok, he will feel it. Try to give him the confidence that he is struggling with now. Point out all his strengths and I bet he has so many of them!!!!!
I have also heard of a book, "Freaks, Greeks and Asperger Syndrome," by Luke Jackson. It's about a 13 year old describing his aspergers. Try looking in your local library. I bet you'll find it and it may really help him. Especially their age being so close.
Good luck, I hope some of this was helpful. This site is really useful. It not only has parents, siblings, friends, teachers, but kids and adults with aspergers. Keep it in mind in the future

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

luckystar HB User
Re: NEED HELP. Discoverd his autism.

I think it is great you want to be there to help your brother. My son is 16 with AS. The book that is mentioned here Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome is great. I read it and my son read it when he was about 14. In the book Luke describes that things finally clicked for him once he knew his diagnosis. There are some other books I have gotten, none just stick in my head like that one, that talk about what it is like to be a child or a teen with Asperger, or Autism. I agree check out the library.

Kids are always sadly going to pick on each other. I wish it were not the case. I tell all my kids it is jealousy. No kid should feel bad about themselves.

These kids with AS ( Asperger) and Autism are amazingly talented, polite, kind, caring... i could go on and on.

There are so many famous people that were Autistic or have Autism tendencies.

Does your brother have friends?? My son has a select few. He is not one to reach out to them to hang out or whatever.

Have him join clubs that are his interests. Usually then it is easier to socialize. My son loves art and acting. So he is in drama club and enrolled in an Art school on Saturdays. This is where they find the same friends with the same interests. Plus you will be surprised how many other AS or Autistic kids are at his school. I gave my email address to his learning support teacher to give to other parents. He now has 3 kids he hangs with due to me making myself available to make the connections.

I hope this helps. There is a ton of info on here and a ton of books

Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

DannysMum HB User
Re: NEED HELP! Discovered his autism.

Just to pick up on a point just made - there are lots of famous people out there that are autistic. When my little boy was diagnosed I found this information quite comforting - I can't remember all the names, but Einstein was one of them.

If you look this up I reckon it would be good for your brother - he would get to realise that he is is excellent company.

It really gave me a boost when I desperately needed it. And armed with this knowledge might help him cope with meaness at school, make him feel a little 'superior' rather than out of place and inferior(which he certainly is NOT).

Best wishes.

Closed Thread