It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User
Disorders that mimic autism?

I was wondering if you all know of any disorder that mimics autism symptoms, besides Fragile x? I am just curious, we are in the process of testing with my son who has all the autism symptoms except he is very social with adults. His stimming is really bad but they say when his language improves he will stop stimming as much. He is non-verbal.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User
Re: Disorders that mimic autism?

He postures his hands, blinks real hard, shakes his head no, grimaces his face, makes a grunting sound, handflaps. He walks on his tiptoes sometimes. And sometimes will bang his head against stuff but rarely. He did get mad one time and bite his hand really hard. He also has scratched himself and is bad for gouging his eyes. He does any one of these things when excited, bored, happy about something or just nervous. He got nervous about us putting up the tree because it was something different and he did all of these things within 30 min.He also likes to wave long objects in front of his face like a paper towel roll.

Last edited by basstracker1970; 12-12-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

jasiusmom HB User

I always feel perplexed by the whole social issue. If you saw my little guy at home, you would think, "wow, he is so social". Around his grandmother he is social too. He even tries to interact with kids at school. I think some of the social issues related to autism are very subtle at times and easy to miss. For example- my 6 year old sons teacher told me a story that recently happened. A little boy was sitting next to my son. My son was telling the boy about a new car he just got as a present. (Seems pretty good so far, huh?) Well... the little boy said to my son, "You are my best friend. I like you". My son looked at him with a blank face and did not respond. The little boy repeated his feelings of friendship toward my son and soon began to cry. This apparently happened a few times and the teacher moved the little boy because he was continuing to get sad by the interactions. I am coming to believe that the ability to socialize is way more complicated than whether or not the child talks to others. It is how much emotional sharing and reciprocity they can give.

Another example- My son will never ask me if I am OK if I hurt myself. Maybe he is concerned, but he does not have the kind of reaction my 3 year old son has. The 3 year old will say "Mommy are you hurt".

My son will sit with me and talks about the things interesting to him. It would sure appear to look like good socialization. I think it takes a keen eye.

My son does better with adults too. I hope some day he will get better with his peers. How old is you child? Is he old enough to be assessed or to get feedback from a teacher?

Sorry for the rambling response!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Some kids display odd symptoms that initially are called autistic spectrum when they are anything but. I think autism should be very recognizable before that label is applied. why? Because therapy for autism may not be what is needed if your child has other problems.

Such as:

Things that can be wrong and not be Autism.
Allergies to all kinds of foods and additives can cause a child's brain to shut down or speed up.
Sensory Integration Disorder--this is a biggy and requires desensitization therapy.
Emotional issues.
Behavior issues/not understanding boundaries and what is expected.
Environmental/lack of structure in the home.
An inability to understand non verbal cues.
Damage to the brain.
Emotional immaturity.
Anxiety disorders--being afraid of new experiences and being afraid to fail.

As you can see a child can have lots of difficulties and until you know exactly which ones are affecting your child you don't know what to do.

I didn't include dyslexia or dysgraphia, ADD and hyperactivity, but those can be caused by neurological problems or sensory issues.
If caused by the brain, drugs can help, but if caused by being overly sensitive to things in the environment, the only remedy is therapy OT and behavior modification.

don't be afraid of any of these diagnoses. Therapy is out there, but sometimes you have to look for it or fight for it in the school system.

Last edited by golfhat; 12-30-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread