It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

jasiusmom HB User
Talking Loud

My 6 year old son talks loud all the time. There is no "inside" voice. Or at least not for more than 2 seconds. How do others deal with this? Church is a real adventure!! His teacher struggles with how to help him turn down the volume too. Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: Talking Loud

sorry I dont really have any solutions for you, just wanted to let you know my son is exactly the same way! He's 8 years old. We (and his teacher) just have to keep reminding him constantly to use inside voice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

Pianistka HB User

My 7 year old son talks to himself constantly, often quite loudly. The only time he stops talking to himself is when he is busy doing something he likes. His teachers are irritated by it, but one of them said to me "Hey, look on the bright side. He used to not talk at all, now you can't make him shut up, someday he will get it just right" :-)

Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

crabbyapple HB User
Lightbulb Re: Talking Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianistka View Post
His teachers are irritated by it, but one of them said to me "Hey, look on the bright side. He used to not talk at all, now you can't make him shut up, someday he will get it just right" :-)
LOL! He will get it right someday, I reckon. I used to talk really loudly. I still do when I get really excited. I am somehow not aware of how loud my voice sounds to others and I have difficulty whispering.

It may help if you are very specific. My sister taught me to talk at the volume I do now by telling me "You're talking too loud. Talk a little softer."
"Like this?"
"Softer"
"Like this?"
and on and on until I got my voice to a normal level. We did this several times until I consciously recalled how low to pitch my voice. Then she just had to remind me.

Now I do it automatically- except when I forget because I'm excited.

You may have to explain why it's important to be able to talk softly. Sometimes, when we don't know the why, social behaviors seem like an exercise in pointlessness and we can get angry or resentful of being asked to work so hard for what seems to be no reason...

Last edited by crabbyapple; 01-06-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I agree with CrabbyApple. Teach your son "whisper voice", teach your son "normal voice", and teach him that his current voice is called "loud voice". Practice, practice, practice, like it's a game. And always tell him what you want, not what you don't want. Like, don't say, you're talking too loud, stop talking so loud. Tell him you need to use your normal voice, you need to use your whisper voice. And confront him every time, don't let him get away with the wrong voice, even if you have to put your hand over his mouth and haul him out of the room. Explain to him that certain places require certain voices. He can use whisper voice here, normal voice here, and loud voice here.

Another possibility - my next door neighbor's son always talks VERY LOUD. I don't go many places, but had the opportunity to be inside their house once, and everyone in there was talking loud, talking over each other, TV was on, a computer game going too. The poor child was yelling trying to be heard, and was frequently ignored. Being loud was the only way he was heard at home, and he got used to it. Caused him lots of problems at school. He had learned that if he talked quietly, he was never heard.

I too have had problems with volume. Most of the time, I talk so quietly that people tell me to speak up, or are constantly asking me to repeat things. I hear my voice in my head and it sounds so loud!

When I'm out with a group and there is noise or activity going on around me, like in a restaurant, when I get excited I start talking really loud, but don't notice it. When my friends tell me I'm too loud and start shushing me, I'll lower my voice, but truly don't notice my volume as it's happening. Sometimes I notice they're looking around the restaurant with a worried look to see if we're attracting attention, and will realize I'm talking too loud.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for a training tool for someone to invent - a small ball that is noise sensitive, off when speaking too low, lights up green when volume is just right, and red when too loud. Could be useful!

We do need to be told WHY for just about everything. The world and its rules seem so arbitrary, but if we know the consequences of not doing it, things become "logical". What happens if you yell at school? What happens if you yell at a nice restaurant, or at church? You get punished is not the correct answer! The answer is more on the lines of you interfere with other people's ability to - learn, talk quietly to each other, hear the minister, etc. We frequently don't recognize how our behavior affects others, so have to be specifically told.

My son has thanked me many, many times for explaining "why" to him. My mother always used "because I said so", which was so useless to me, I was determined to never do that to my son. Sometimes I had to say, yes, it's stupid, I agree it's stupid and makes no sense, but these other people will think badly of you if you don't do it this way, or they'll complain about you. Really made me think since I was determined to give a legitimate reason for certain rules. Sometimes I discovered I was just controlling, and there was no legitimate reason!

Last edited by roses4lace; 01-07-2008 at 02:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to roses4lace For This Useful Post:
jangel2k (05-20-2012)
Closed Thread