It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

crabbyapple HB User
Unhappy Hi- I'm new. Any adults with Autism?

I have been diagnosed, by my psychiatrist, with high functioning autism and ADHD as an adult. I'm wondering if there are any adults with autism on this board. I'm hoping for a little advice. I have never been treated for autism and know very little about it.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User
Smile Re: Hi- I'm new. Any adults with Autism?

Hi Crabby,

I'm new too and have an adult son, 24, just diagnosed with Asperger last year. How were you diagnosed? His was a neuropsych eval by a psychiatrist while in the hospital. He also suffers from acute anxiety disorder.

You are not alone. There may be a local chapter of the Asperger Association in your state. We belong to ours. Hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-22-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: disallowed websites - please read and follow our posting rules - click on "Posting Policy" above

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: Hi- I'm new. Any adults with Autism?

I'm a 52 year old with Aspergers, also my 25 year old son has it. We were only diagnosed in 2005. Always had the aspie problems, always knew I was weird, without having any idea there was help available. I started counselling in 1988, but she never recognized my aspie problems, was too focused on the dysfunctional family part and my divorce problems. Once we discovered the problem, I found a psychologist who specialized in Aspergers. It has made all the difference in the world. Yes, I came from a dysfunctional family, but much of the weirdness in my life is from the Aspergers. She helps me see the difference, and helps me cope with life. She'll talk me through upcoming events that have me in a hyper mode. I've had a hard time recognizing the lead-in to the meltdowns, and she's helping me notice the triggers, and encourages me to rearrange my life to have more days free from social interaction.

Last edited by roses4lace; 12-28-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
(female)

caza HB User

hi all i have asix year old with high functioning autism but he dosnt undrestand much and dosnt speak that well i find it amazing reading your posts as i can never see my son writing or understanding as you appear to cud you tell me a bit about what you were like when you were little if you can he is still in nappies and only eats three types of food and has many sensory problems take care caza

Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

Crabby & Roses,

If it weren't for the monthly meeting I attend at the support group, Parents of Adults with AS, at my local chapter of Asperger Assoc. of NE, I don't know how I would have gotten so much information.

They have seminars, lectures, support groups and social groups and so much quality information. The group is run by social workers, counselors, etc..who volunteer their time and expertise.

It has been so invaluable to me to learn about my son's diagnosis and the prognosis for his life. Sharing stories with other parents has been helpful.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

deccajay HB User

I am 25 and i have AS. i was diagnosed when i was 18. I now run an suport group for adults with AS.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
(female)

hev11 HB User

hi im a nursery nurse. i currently work as a nursery nurse. i do 1 to 1 with an autistic child can i be of any help.would like to no moreabout how u manage?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

I also Have Major Depression and have been seeing a psychiatrist. He diagnosed me.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

Hi, I'm 41 years old and have been diagnosed with Autism NOS. I was always weird too- only I called it being eccentric. I haven't had any counseling about the Autism; I'm still seeing a regular Psychiatrist and therapist (for depression, etc.). I also come from a dysfunctional family. I'm pleased to met you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses4lace View Post
I'm a 52 year old with Aspergers, also my 25 year old son has it. We were only diagnosed in 2005. Always had the aspie problems, always knew I was weird, without having any idea there was help available. I started counselling in 1988, but she never recognized my aspie problems, was too focused on the dysfunctional family part and my divorce problems. Once we discovered the problem, I found a psychologist who specialized in Aspergers. It has made all the difference in the world. Yes, I came from a dysfunctional family, but much of the weirdness in my life is from the Aspergers. She helps me see the difference, and helps me cope with life. She'll talk me through upcoming events that have me in a hyper mode. I've had a hard time recognizing the lead-in to the meltdowns, and she's helping me notice the triggers, and encourages me to rearrange my life to have more days free from social interaction.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

I was all but mute until I was 10 years old; I was potty trained at about 4; I ate just about anything, including dirt, suppositories, and coins; and don't give up hope. Do you want more details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caza View Post
hi all i have asix year old with high functioning autism but he dosnt undrestand much and dosnt speak that well i find it amazing reading your posts as i can never see my son writing or understanding as you appear to cud you tell me a bit about what you were like when you were little if you can he is still in nappies and only eats three types of food and has many sensory problems take care caza

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

Hi,
I'm 41 and I have autism NOS. I was diagnosed in 2004, but I didn't know what it really meant, and I didn't know it was important. I am only recently trying to learn the what, how, and why of autism. Could you tell me more about your support group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccajay View Post
I am 25 and i have AS. i was diagnosed when i was 18. I now run an suport group for adults with AS.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

Hi,
By nursery nurse, do you mean a nurse for infants or toddlers? I'm American, and I see that you're from England. I don't think that we always use to same phrases to mean things.

Are you trained to work with autism, or did you just meet a child that you were hired to or wanted to work with? I don't know how things are done "over the pond".

Thank you for the offer of help .

I'm not sure what you mean by "how u manage." Could you ask a question? That would be easier for me to answer. Like most autistic adults, I am hard to embarrass because I don't really understand "politeness" and "social rules" as well as/in the same way as NTs, so I am willing to answer questions that most would see as "personal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hev11 View Post
hi im a nursery nurse. i currently work as a nursery nurse. i do 1 to 1 with an autistic child can i be of any help.would like to no moreabout how u manage?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
(female)

caza HB User

hi crabby if you dont mind as much as you are willing to share wud be wonderfull help me understand how my sons autistic mind works wy we cant go near yellow wagons without amelt down wy he wont have a bath its been two years now

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
(female)

crabbyapple HB User

Its probably a sensory thing- I love the color yellow, but it is very bright. I'm not sure what you mean by wagon- Is that a truck- or what do you call them- a lorry? Trucks can be very threatening, they're large, and have blindingly shiny bits, and make a terrible growling noise. Also the smell (of diesel) that they emit is intolerable.

Okay, I looked it up. "Sometimes, the word is also used for railroad cars (not motorized, for goods or passengers), and it's a part / the usual short form of station wagon, the non-British term for a sedan (saloon) with an extended rear cargo area."

Do you mean a train car- a railroad car?? They are terrible things to me even now. I don't know if the train you take is a subway (under the ground) or an El (outside on tracks or elevated on trellises); the subway is definitely worse than the El.

The subway stinks badly. There is the smell of the metal rails, the smell of anything on the tracks which may be full of trash or stagnant water, the smell left by hundreds of people and the things they may be eating; there are the movements of people all around, and people that walk too close or even bump into one, chattering all the while. There are lights and train announcements for arrivals and departures coming over the loudspeaker; and then this huge, long, bright dragon-machine comes screaming and growling down the track- and it seems to be coming directly towards you. I usually stand well back from the edge of the platform because I can't stand the emotion/sensation that this gives me. It can be a feeling of utter terror on bad days...

Then you have to enter the shining metal doors when they slide back with a loud hiss or grinding of gears. Inside are hard, bright seats (at least in NY. Your seats may be soft or itchy or whatever). And there are too many people, all of whom are talking or rustling newspapers or eating different smelling things which may make you feel nauseous; and they are all smelling differently.

Smell is a big deal- a single person may have taken a bath with scented soap, and shampooed their hair with another scent; and put on deodorant with another scent; and lotion with a differing scent again; and then they splash on perfume or cologne.

Frankly, I don't know how NTs stand the subway without screaming and dancing in agony/rage, but apparently you don't notice/screen out the sensory noise. I do much better than I did when I as a kid, but taking the train is always a trial.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
(female)

caza HB User

crabby apple if that is what he feels like then no wonder he is so terrified he can hear one coming well before it arrives he puts his hands on his ears and screams and runs thank you so much for sharing that it broke my hart to read but i can somehow and work with it i dont know how yet but i will take care caza

Closed Thread