It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
(male)

ANGDAD HB User
What was your child's language like.....

when they turned 2. Was your child non-verbal, did they try to communicate but couldn't get words out? My son really tries to say stuff but he can't make bi-labial sounds (B, P, M). He's very difficult to understand but he really tries to communicate verbally and non-verbally.

From everything I've read about ASDs, the problem is usually not being able to communicate right? It doesn't have a lot to do with pronunciation or a speech impediment does it??

Our son uses the same sounds consistently to communicate with us. He has about 40 "words" that my wife and I understand, but you probably wouldn't.

Would you mind sharing about your child's language when they turned 2 and if you think this sounds like an ASD related speech thing?

Thanks,
John

Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

momofanangel HB User
Re: What was your child's language like.....

Our son was pretty much completely non-verbal until he was 3 years old. We are really blessed to have wonderful services where we live, and our son began full-time in home therapy at 3. (4 hours a day 5 days a week) In sept he started going to their center 4 days a week and has in home 1 day a week...anyways...one day, his speech path decided to try signing with him. He did everything not to pay attention and not to watch her signs. That night at bedtime, he signed everything she had sign to him that day...helicopter, airplane, car, give etc. I was completely blown away!!! We started using signs with him and it was hard to keep up! He would pick up these signs almost the very first time he saw them. Somehow this visual was the key to unlocking speech for him. For instance if he learned to sign airplane, about 2 weeks later he would learn and know the spoken word, airplane. Now he uses words more often then sign...actually we hardly ever sign at all, unless he needs a reminder for a word. He still has some speech sounds to develop, like s is said through the nose, and pl is said like cl etc. But this technique has been like a miracle. I feel blessed everyday just to hear him say Mommy! That is our experience with asd and learning speech

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

John, I think you are right about communicating is more than speech.

If he communicates with you and makes eye contact, and he understands you and you him, then he is communicating even if the words are not there yet.

He is not non verbal as he has those 40 or so words. He will gain more. he is still very young. Is he responding to you, does he look at you, does he hug you and his stuffed toys?

is he affectionate and talk or respond to others> If he does all this, he is probably not autistic. I think he sounds completely normal, myself. some kids talk early and some walk early. some are kicking a football at two and talking not til 3.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

Golf, i am not sure what you mean by he isn't autistic? Only a psycologist or developmental pedi etc can determine whether a child is autistic or not, not some stranger off the street. I know i don't like labels myself as things can change but still autism is a broad spectrum, a child can have autism but not be the classical type you may be thinking about. Anyway just my two cents some people think my child is so social and others will say she keeps to herself go figure. She may have Aspergers for all i know though if a child needs services and a label gets them that then so be it. But you can't say since a child hugs you, is social etc and has words isnt on the specturm by those factors, they may or may not be but that in itself doesnt totally determine whether a child has autism or not there is more to it. My daughter keeps to herself more then my son at times but both are somewhat social and give hugs and has some words my son more then my daughter cause she has apraxia. Both are diagnosed autistic but they both have different strengths and weaknesses to work on.

A psycologist told me i am on the spectrum myself and would have been diagnosed as a child but people today would never know when i tell them, i have same quirks as my children but i hide it well. I have 2 autistic children and both are totally different. "if you have met one child with autism you have met ONE child with autism" meaning they are not all alike in all ways. Too many people in society are not as educated on autism and it is sad because when the child needs certain help and isn't getting it cause he/she is too "social" etc well then the child is losing out on the help he/she deserves if they really need it. I saw a special that this one girl had Aspergers but wasnt diagnosed until 11 years old or so because some doctor believed only boys get this. It's really sad. JMO hope i didn't offend anyone.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I could be wrong, but I think golf was suggesting that based on everything the OP has ever mentioned about his child, he really doesn't seem to be on the spectrum. That's just my take.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lisaontheloose HB User

It sounds like your child has some type of oral apraxia or muscle issue and really needs speech therapy. This is not usually the case with children who have autism unless they also have a comorbid condition such as mental impairment or CP.

Lisa

Closed Thread