It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
(male)

ANGDAD HB User
Vaccine Question?

Hello,

I'm not looking for a debate here, I'm looking for people's PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. So please don't let this turn into an argumental thread.

My wife and I are just really struggling with whether or not to catch up on vaccinations for our son at his appointment in two weeks. He will be 25 months at the time of his appointment. He hasn't had a vaccine since his 15 month appt. When we saw his developmental delays, we decided to freeze all vaccinations for a little while so he could do EI, therapy, see the Dev. Ped. etc.

He hasn't had MMR at all yet. Many of you have read my posts, so I won't go into his whole story, but he seems to be doing really good and he doesn't have a diagnosis. We just don't want to see a plateau of skills or any regression. Here are my questions:

Do you think 25 months is long enough to delay the MMR?

Should I try to get a referral to have the MMR split up?

Has anyone seen what they feel are negative effects from having the MMR this late?

Should I catch him up on his other vaccinations first, and then do MMR?

My doctor is of course really scaring me and saying that it is risky for him to be over the age of 2 and not have the MMR because he does spend a lot of time around other kids. The doctor was pretty supportive about delaying the shots the first time around, but feels like waiting any longer is not a good idea.

I've done a ton of research on this and I realize there is no "conclusive evidence" either way.

I would really value your opinions and not just the folks that think it's a bad idea.

Thanks,

John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User
Re: Vaccine Question?

I understand completely your dilemna. If I could turn back the clock, review the data and have the right to make a parental choice in the matter of whether or not to vaccinate, I would definitely opt on the side of caution and not vaccinate my children until they were at least school age.

I've heard from many sources that people in the medical profession are doing just that; vaccinating right before their child needs to enter a school which requires vaccinations and avoiding them during the developmental years, just as a precaution.

Hindsight always gives one clearer vision. As a young parent you tend to buy into all the medical mumbo jumbo that is thrown your way about things being perfectly safe and necessary. One can recover from whooping cough but once neurological damage is done there is no recovery.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquemother2 View Post
I understand completely your dilemna. If I could turn back the clock, review the data and have the right to make a parental choice in the matter of whether or not to vaccinate, I would definitely opt on the side of caution and not vaccinate my children until they were at least school age.

I've heard from many sources that people in the medical profession are doing just that; vaccinating right before their child needs to enter a school which requires vaccinations and avoiding them during the developmental years, just as a precaution.

Hindsight always gives one clearer vision. As a young parent you tend to buy into all the medical mumbo jumbo that is thrown your way about things being perfectly safe and necessary. One can recover from whooping cough but once neurological damage is done there is no recovery.

I can't add one thing to this statement. I must edit. I do not agree with the last statement from antiquemother2. My grandson is improving. Complete recovery? He is still in the process. There can be recovery. My opinion, of course.

Last edited by DrewsG; 02-13-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Both of my children were vaccinated on schedule, except for their Hep B shots (because I doubted highly they would be exposed to it as newborns). I do not attribute my son's Autism to any of the vaccines, and he has since had more vaccinations since his diagnosis. If you're going to get them done, I would do it before he starts going to any school setting. You don't know what other kids are bringing around your child. That's just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User

This topic is being debated widely within the autism research community. There are doctors on both sides of the issue. I agree, the verdict is not in as to whether the vaccinations have any direct cause to the damage to the brain's neurology.

I did not mean to say that I feel the vaccinations are the cause, only that since no one can definitely say that they are NOT the cause, I wouldn't put a potential toxin into my system or my children's system unless the medical community had data to prove the safety and rule out the possibility.

Unfortunately, I did vaccinate both of my children because this debate was not being discussed when they were newborns. I only said that if I heard then what I'm hearing now, I would not do it.

And I do not attribute my son's autism to the vaccinations for the same reason - no one knows for sure what actually causes autism spectrum and related neurological damage to a child. It happens and while the scientists search for the cause all we can do is deal with the result.

From what I've read online, doctors and nurses who are also parents are waiting to do the vaccinations which are required to enter school until their own children's nervous system and brain has developed more, past the toddler stages because they are aware of the potential dangers to a growing brain by introducing mercury which is the agent of the vaccines that is being investigated as the possible culprit.

Last edited by antiquemother2; 02-13-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: more

Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
(female)

antiquemother2 HB User
Re: Vaccine Question? Recovery

As far as recovery goes, to my knowledge there is no way to reverse neurological damage. An MRI of the brain and a brain scan clearly show differences in autistic children and adults to the scans and images of people not on the spectrum. MRI's and scans are part of the diagnosis.

Improvement can always be made and people do learn to live with their differences. Remember, autism is a social disorder. My son is 24, college educated, plays piano and guitar, can remember details of anything he reads or watches on TV, and is social in a very small group setting at home with people he knows well. Socially in another setting he is half his age. He feels uncomfortable, gets anxiety, cannot have a conversation with people his own age or make eye contact for that matter.

People don't recover from the social effects of autism, sorry to disagree. They get used to it. Autistic people with Asperger particularly, like my son, are bright and have everything to offer to the world. But they are prisoners of their own disorder and frequently do live a solitary lonely existence.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
(female)

I Love LJC HB User

My 12 year old daughter who is in the spectrum had a brain MRI and also an EEG, both tests came back normal, her Neurologist said her brain looks great and is growing..As for vaccines i think they do a world of good as long as they are givin safely ie not to many vaccines givn at one time..My daughter who is in the spectrum received many vaccines at each visit..Larry King had a couple and their daughter bless her heart on his show who they believed was injured by to many vaccines ,9 in fact on one day ..What i gather is their daughter had a Mitochondria disorder and the vaccines in fact put her into the Autism Spectrum ,they also WON their case in vaccine court..Also would like to mention their lawyer on the show said Mercury is also know to give a person mitochondria damage.. This show is on Larry King from earlier this evening ..I would like to add, my son ,my daughters older brother, had vaccines his were seperated, he doesnt have the spectrum.

Last edited by I Love LJC; 03-07-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Knowing the information just coming out on autism I think I would delay getting immunizations. Originally I didn't think my sons autism had anything to do with immunizations now I'm wondering. I have a grandchild with an autism spectrum disorder and two other male grandchildren younger than the diagnosed one. I'm very concerned about the 1 year old getting any immunizations now. His older brother has not been diagnosed but I'm concerned that it may come up in the future. This disorder is affecting generations of my family and I've even seen the symptoms in my own father. I"m wondering if I should have my son tested for the mitrochondrial disease because he has some of the synptoms but I'm just trying to learn all I can about it at this point. This recent report has caused me to have a great deal of anxiety and concern for expecially my grandchildren. I think the damage is already done in my son and one grandson. It also has not affected my brothers children like it has mine. From what I read about mitochondrial disease it's passed through the maternal genes.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

We all seem to forget that these are HORRIBLE childhood diseases that we are being vaccinated against. You would be in great despair if your child contracted one of them.

It is not like the common cold. The Red measles-- which is part of the MMR vaccine--can cause brain damage and blindness and that is why there is a vaccine for Red measles.
With illegals bringing in all these diseases our children in big cities are definitely at risk.
Since we have had the vaccines many children's lives have been saved. For instance polio is not something you would want to take a risk on. Children have been saved from a life in an iron lung or wheel chair because of that vaccine.

But autism is ON THE INCREASE...And something is causing this surge in autism and its related syndromes.

There is probably more to it than just the vaccines. If it is vaccines why are only some kids affected? Is it children with mitochondrial malfunction or something neurological that predisposes a certain segment of population to this? There are families that have several children with varying degrees of autism. this tells me that there may be an inherited tendency toward it.

What does an MRI show for Angelo for instance? If there is brain damage or something else funky, then I WOULD WAIT til at least age 4.--
By 4, they are walking, talking, and going to pre-school. They have developed many social skills...and the more developed brain would provide more protection.

No one has a good answer for this.

Last edited by golfhat; 03-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Closed Thread