It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

jennyjudy HB User
gluten free diet

I am trying the gluten free diet. I cannot implement it completely because my son is very picky. I was informed by his OT that these kids avoid things that make them uncomfortable so thinking he will just eat if he is hungry is wrong. He is dairy free at the moment and doing fine with that, but he absolutely hates all the gluten free products, pizza crusts and mixes for breads, etc. Help.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: gluten free diet

jennyjudy,

I avoid the commercial gluten-free breads and pizza crusts too, and I am not autistic. They are usually made with no milk products, no eggs, no sugar, and no fats, so that they can be sold to people with a wide range of food sensitivities. They leave out all the ingredients that make bread tasty and moist. Yuccchhh!

My suggestion is to either make your own bread or go in entirely different directions for the starch part of the meal.

I make my own bread from buckwheat, teff, and rice flours. When you start using new flours without gluten, you will have to experiment to see what works for you, and which flavors your son (and you) like. The key to successfully baking with non-gluten flours is to get the dry to wet proportions right. This will take experimentation, as I said.

The other direction to go is to choose other forms of carbs. Lots of things can be spread on rice and corn crackers. Experiment with various forms of rice (long and short grains, red and white and brown), to serve with veggies or a sauce. Quinoa and Amaranth and Buckwheat and Millet have interesting flavors and are worth experimenting with. Cornbread can be made without wheat. Beans and peas have carbs as well as protein.

Bread and pizza dough have become popular because the gluten in wheat does a wonderful job of making these products easy to make and easy to eat. So we are used to seeing them everywhere and we forget that there are lots of other forms of starchy foods that are available. Looking for other options besides the ever-visible wheat has been quite an eye-opener for me. I have discovered foods that I would never have tried if I had not had to go on a gluten-free diet. I have had the opportunity to find out that I love quinoa and buckwheat but don't care for millet. Other folks find just the opposite.

I hope that you are able to find foods that your son likes.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User

Bobs Red Mill makes a good gf bread. If your not going to do it all the way, don't waste your time or money. It wont work.

Take it away, and he'll start eating the gf stuff when he detoxes.. that's what my son did.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Before my gs had a firm diagnosis of SID they tried him on dairy free, sugar free and gluten free foods. It was not a big problem for him but my daughter found it very complex. As was said before you must adhere to the diets strictly.
He was agreeable to most of what she wanted him to eat. but he stopped eating the gluten free bread and cookies completely and also cheese.
(There is a fake cheese but it's pretty bad.)
I felt some of the bread and cookies were actually ok but to a kid it was easier to avoid it. Almond milk was a big hit and also egg beaters.

Now that we know it is not his diet that was at fault he gets a regular diet but free from sugar. And that has worked well.

Last edited by golfhat; 04-07-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Closed Thread