It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User
New here and result of evaluation In

I am new on this board, My 4 1/2 yr old daughter had a full eval. in may and it took a while but we finally got all the results back.
It shows that she has selective mutism (that we knew) and PDD-NOS.

I have been trying to find resourses in my area in Ma. to find the help for her they suggested but no luck yet. Any ideas?
And also Is PDD-NOS like Autism or on eof the autism disorders? I think.
I am new to this. We knew something was going on but we just were not too sure what. But I read a little about it and it does fit her.
Thanks if anyone can help.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: New here and result of evaluation In

PDD-NOS is also known as "atypical autism." It is the diagnosis given to an individual when they fit some criteria of autism but not all. For example, the individual may have problems in communication and the social realm but not fit the third autistic criterion of repetitive/stereotyped behaviors. PDD-NOS is usually considered to be the most varied presentation of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs). Some PDD-NOS children will resemble those with Kanner's (classic) autism; others will resemble those with Asperger's Syndrome. The difference is in the amount and severity of the symptoms that the person displays, so an Asperger's-type PDD-NOS child may have all of the symptoms of AS except for the hallmark symptom of "special interests"/an obsessive fixation in a specific topic. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-18-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User

Sorry it took me so long to reply back.
Yes that helps. We had a bit of a break through the other day when we got to meet her teacher again since she had her for 2 years now she is in pre k.
I bought her a small cheap pack of plastic horses (she is obsessed with horses, anykind cheap or not) Almost every toy she has is a horse and that is all she plays with. So anyway back the the original story, I bought the little bag of horses in trade for her to speak to her teacher at school. She said she would (I didn't reall think she would because she did not the whole school year I am not sure why).
But anyway when we got to the school low and behold she spoke, And said hello to her and even sparked up a small conversation, Her teacher was blown away. And then her speech therapist came in to see her and she said hello to her also and she was also suprised.
I was soooooooooooo extatic I couldn't believe it.
I just hope it continues. I did call a psychologists office in my town who see kids with PDD but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks for reading

Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

claflamme HB User

Well school is still going well, She is still speaking mostly in school when she needs to. Occasionally she will have a shut down or a freeze we call it where if she is anxious or angry about something and she will just stare at you and not speak until the issue is resolved.
And at home things haven't gotten much better she is now having much more violent tantrums where she has begun to hit her thighs very hard and her head sometimes. She screams very loudly and just says no alot and yells and is very mean to her older sister which is very strange. Because no one ever sees this behavior at school she is very easy going at school. No tantrums at school. when she does have a tantrum it will last anywhere from 10-30 minutes.
But I did find a psychologist finally and she likes to see her and is happy seeing her.
I have tried setting up a place in the house for her to tantrum in so she can hit bean bags instead of herself but prefers not to use it. And recently starting to hit others and hurting other people. Very unlike her.
I am just trying to find ways to avoid the tantrums in the 1st place but everything sets them off. For example not being able to get her shoe on right or do her zipper those things will start a tantrum or not sitting in the middle of the couch.
And her older sister loves to torture her and get her going for fun.
And she does it with a smile too. Not a nice thing to do either.
Thanks for reading.

Closed Thread