It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

rainrowan HB User
Unhappy booster shots at age 5 - advice needed

What does everyone feel about booster shots i.e. DPT and MMR2 for their children going into Kindergarten? I am almost frozen with fear over this.

I'm afraid he will regress after these vaccines. He has been in a special preschool the last 2 years and has made good progress.

I have putting off these two shots this year trying to think of how I could get around it. But the schools we're looking into for him say that it is part of the NY State's law he gets his boosters. I am terrified at what it could do to his already compromised system (mainly gastro intestinal)

What can I do?? I'm going to meet with his practitioner again this month and discuss giving my child an antibody titer test. Will this help to exempt him from the booster shots if it proves he's already immune to DPT and MMR?

I have enough stress over getting him into the right school, but not at the expense of causing his deterioration!

Last edited by rainrowan; 07-20-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: booster shots at age 5 - advice needed

No by law children have to be vaccinated to go to public school. I live in NY also now most pediatricians should offer to give them seperately. If yours doesn't find one who will, or some people get exemption claiming religious beliefs. I myself had my son vaccinated and I am glad that I did as there has been a rise in measles in recent years. But every parent must do what they feel is best for their child. It isn't an easy decision good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

rainrowan HB User

Thanks Liamsmom... you have a good point re the measles increase.

I considered having ds get each separately and still it scares me. I will ask about the separate vaccines when I go in. My dh said to me he is willing to keep ds out of school until the school/s accepts an exemption which sounds a little extreme but...

Without certain knowledge even separate vaccines won't affect my ds's particular situation, I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette w/ my ds' neurology... he suffered psychotic-type symptoms for one month after an antibiotic and itched uncontrollably for hours after oral penicillin at age 5.

I'd welcome any thoughts from parents going through the same...

Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

My son has had a vaccination since being diagnosed, and though I never felt the vaccines were to blame for his Autism, he didn't regress at all, that I could tell.

I realize public schools want all children vaccinated, but I would think that with all the hoopla about vaccines and Autism, they would waive the requirement for any child with a diagnosis- especially those whose parents feel they have evidence which shows vaccines are damaging their child.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I think once a child has been diagnosed with ANYTHING that impairs their learning or behavior in school, that the vaccine schedule should be waived for that child.

It is not that the vaccine will be skipped but will be given over a longer period of time so that the child can process it better.

I think that this seems reasonable. Maybe all that would be required is a note from a therapist or pediatrician advising caution?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I agree, there should be waivers for many reasons. I try to keep toxins and chemicals out of my daughters body so she can maintain a healthy, strong immune system. She is two and has never been sick. I cannot be forced to vaccinate her, she would probably get sick with all of the toxins that are in each and every shot. As long as their immune system is strong and you help maintain that for them, the children can fight off these illness, sickness, colds, etc.

You can fill out an exemption form. Boosters only cover a very, very small percentage, like 5%, that the main shot didn't cover. In my opinion it is not worth the risk, especially with the toxins in the shots that lower the immune system too.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
(female)

KathleenW HB User

You can claim a religious exemption from vaccinations. That is what I did. After two years of ABA and speech therapy my son lost all his symptoms of autism. There is no way that I was going to risk having him injured by a vaccine.

I feel that the vaccinations caused my son's autism and gave him two autoimmune diseases. I am a true believer that vaccinations are very important for children in general. I also believe that for some children their immune systems are not able to process the vaccines and it is very dangerous.

The only states that do not allow religious exemptions are West Virginia and Mississippi. You can ******** the form online and turn it in to your school.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
(female)

boysboysboys HB User

I went through the dilemma with my 5 yr old twins who both have autism. I was scared to death. We decided to split the shots up and do one at a time. Ironically, every time they had a shot their language skills improved for a few days afterward. Go figure!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

If you will notice, the kids also often do better when sick with a virus, boys. That means his immune system was affected, and he was launching an immune defense the best he could.

My daughter has never been vaxed since infancy. She never will, EVER, for the rest of her life. Get an exemption...

Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I mentioned this booster business to my daughter and she said my gs has had all the shots he is going to have. She said that no one has mentioned boosters here in our part of Texas.

In some parts of US boosters are more common or they are needed due to close living conditions in big cities or immigration etc. But, I am actually just guessing.

however, she said she will not be giving him any boosters. he is doing great and his sensory issues are gone. Right now we are working on handwriting and stubborness. Not usually things that vaccinations cause, but you never know what these vaccinations will do. Why take a chance?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Every state offers exemptions for vaccinations. Look into your options based on your state. You do NOT have to vaccinate your child if that is your choice. If you fill out the appropriate exemptions for your state, the schools have to allow your child to attend. Do the research on how to get the appropriate exemption.

Closed Thread