It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

monkey3 HB User
substance abuse

Im sure not to many are willing to admit problems with substance abuse, but do you think it may be a little more pervasive in the autism parental community. Please let me know your thoughts. BTY I battle demons with alcohol and xanax.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
(female)

DannysMum HB User
Re: substance abuse

I'm sure you are correct, living with severe autism in the family must be something from which it must be good to escape for a while, i live with middling autism in my family and find that escape is good. In fact I have to make a determined effort NOT to hit the bottle once the kids are in bed. We realised that it was becoming too routine...

Have you got someone you can talk to, other than family - doctor etc? Is there help out there to help you, (i) battle against the abuse (ii) give you respite from autism?

I'm no good at advice - which is why I read this board, but I just wanted you to know that no answer doesn't mean that the autistic community that reads this board doesn't care... just doesn't know what to say. It's not a flippant issuing requiring a few kind words, it's serious, and I'm sure there are many many people suffering, but not wanting to admit, or not knowing what to do.

I personally wish you all the best, hunt down someone that is experienced in helping people to get off the stuff, if it doesn't work, find someone else. Don't give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread