It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

flbrit HB User
semantic pragmatic disorder with language impairment

my son is 4 and has just been diagnosed with SP. I am trying to find out anything and everything I can to help him and myself. I am struggling with all the new information and what is right, what is wrong and how non-understanding people are even doctors. I am a working single mother so i have alot of people to help educate to be prepared to take care of him during the day. I have him in ESE at the elementary school but daycare is a work in progress, they are working with me to try and help him overcome some of his "issues" or atleast understand them better. I have had to be called to the daycare to calm him over light switches and communication problems. I am becoming overwhelmed. I can't find a babysitter willing or able to watch him so i can get some down time, any ideas. He has a little sister and she helps alot with the communication and even in calming him down, even at her young age she sees he needs that little bit extra. I am so lucky, he can speak (most of the time i can understand him but others can't) he does do so many thing that he might not be able too if his symtoms were worse, he is very high functioning, but because he looks so normal it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't know us. how do you deal with the stares and looks and comments i want to defend us but i don't want him to get a complex that it is his fault when it is not. i know i am rambling but i had a rough day and figured i would try this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
Re: semantic pragmatic disorder with language impairment

hi there. my son also has a pragmatic language delay. i agree, it is quite upsetting to see your child frustrated when trying to communicate. my son is now 7 and has come a LONG way. the magical age for him was 4. At 4 he just started to really become much more verbal. i don't know if your son is receiving any therapy but you should certainly seek out a speech therapist.

my sons therapist is quite demanding of him and after a few sessions he knew what to expect. since pragmatics are conversational skills, he knew that when she said something, he would have to say something back. we also worked with him at home. i always had luck with subjects of interest and silly type of stuff. (ie. does a cow say meow?) he would find that very funny and correct me.....before i knew it, we would be having a (simple) back and forth exchange about that.

please do not settle on a speech therapist that just goes thru the motions. we have had many therapists come and go and one thing i learned a long time ago was that my son's time is precious.

my younger daughter is also such an amazing sibling to her older brother. since she is just naturally motherly (ok. maybe some would say bossy), she helps him quite a bit and is always happy to play with him.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 07-30-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Closed Thread