It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
gastrointestinal problems?

My son is 3 1/2 and on the spectrum. He has lots of behavioral problems and one thing i noticed is he poops a lot especially when he eats waffles and drinks milk, when he eats cake he poops soon after. Almost every diaper change is poop and it always has this bad smell to it that wont go away even after we change him. maybe this is normal i am not sure, but just wondering if anyone's elses child had intestinal problems and also what you can do about it? He always craves the foods that he poops from too but then again he wants food all the time, goes into the trash sometimes desperate even though he eats all the time.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User
Re: gastrointestinal problems?

I've been waiting for someone to answer your post. I will give you my advice and hope you can look into what I"ve suggested. Some people think that diet change can't help that much. Well, it did for Drew.
Do a search at the top of the Health Boards for "gluten and casin free diet". It changed our Grandson into the little boy he was before he was diagnosed with autism. It took awhile. We saw immediate changes in his behavior and his bowel problems. He craved milk and anything that contained gluten.
We found a DAN Dr. and he is doing unbelievely well. This change in diet also included therapy at home and our Early Childhood classes at our local school. Everything he lost at 18 months is back. No more melt downs, eye contact is great, talks nonstop. He is starting kindergarden this month. Its been a long journey but we have hope for a bright future for our grandson.
I'm telling you what saved our Drew. He is still Autistic of course. But he is able to function in this world.
God Bless and good luck with your little boy.
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

Thanks Drewsgram *hugs* I appreciate your response and i will look into that diet i really thought that was why he had problems with bowels etc Just was wondering others experience so thank you so much

Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

dyshell710 HB User

my son poops every day, he hasn't been formally diagnosed with autism but an emergency room doctor suggested that he might be because he did not cooperate with the doctor. my son will be five in september and his speech has improved so much within the last year. He makes choices now, he answers yes and no questions with no problem , his sentence structure is not great all the time but he does speak in sentences. He follows directions great he loves to play "simon says" he has always been very affectionate with me and his dad and he now gives kisses and hugs to relatives, he just has a hard time at the doctor's office, does this sound like autism to anyone????

Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
(female)

rbecca HB User

My 1st thought was also to look into the GF/CF diet and talk w/your doc. I'm wondering though, is your child on any meds, or even supplements/vitamins? Could account for the smell ????

Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

rbecca no he isnt on any meds or vitamins. its just certain foods he craves of course starches etc that makes him go so much and milk i think does it.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
(female)

janepona HB User

Has your son ever been tested for food allergies? It sounds to me that your son may have a milk product allergy. A diet change is worth a try. Rice milk is a good replacement for regular milk.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

No he hasnt but i think i should have him tested. It isnt only milk it seems like waffles and breads and that gives him problems. Its either Diarhea or it's so hard like he is constipated. Of course muffins, cookies etc do that to him too he goes right after eating them. He cant even drink a little juice he seems more sensitive to it then others.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
(female)

janepona HB User

All those things that he likes to eat all contain milk products. Whey is a big indgredient in many of those foods or they may say that they were made in factories that produce or use milk products. As far as the juice try cutting it with water. Half juice/half water. Sometimes drinking the juice straight up can be rough on the system. Especially if his system is upset from an allergy.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
(female)

jerminator HB User

not sure if this will help you but my son had diarrhea for four years until we started using filtered water for his drink mix ( he can't drink milk). He was instantly cured of his lifelong diarrhea!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
(female)

DannysMum HB User

Taking my son off milk stopped his agressive behaviour, and he turned back into our sweet boy again. We tried him on milk once more and again he changed into a little monster.
Our lovely doctor just shrugs her shoulders and says nothing has been proved in research. (By the way..I wasn't being sarcastic, she really is lovely! )

Closed Thread