It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
ABA therapy and your child's stims

Does your childs therapist constantly try to stop your childs stims during therapy? I guess everyone's opinion is different but my childs therapist is constantly at her for her stims and she gets in bad moods now and stims all night after the therapist leaves. I just don't know what to think about this. We want our child to be who she is and others to accept who she is but i know kids can be cruel too and certain things arent appropriate. I cant get anything out of her now even practicing speech or games or anything she just wants computer or to stim.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
Re: ABA therapy and your child's stims

ABA therapy is all about squashing inappropriate behavior and they (therapists) are very big on tracking how many stims were observed during a session. the goal is to have that number lessen at each session. if you are looking for a therapist to allow your daughter to stim during sessions, then i don't think ABA is for you.

You daughter's therapist should, however, make therapy fun for her and implement some fun based sessions. Talk to her and make some suggestions. There is no reason why it should not be enjoyable for your daughter. I'm not saying that it will always be fun. We had an ABA team in our house for 4 hours a day x 2.6 years. There were many times that i was frustrated seeing my son upset but ABA was the best thing we ever did for him. Also, not all therapists "click" with all children. I had asked for a therapist or two to be removed from my sons team. Nothing personal, but the connection was not there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

No what i was saying is possibly replacing the stim for something else. We were with another agency who said maybe giving her something in her hands when she stims so it looks more appropriate and that was mostly because of school and the kids being cruel. I don't believe you can catch every stim and me as a mom isnt able to make her change and be something she is not cause stims don't leave, they are a way of releasing stress, everyone has them. My daughter was doing better and progressed when she had therapists more laid back about stims, but now that she has this therapist that is making her feel like something she is doing is bad then she is frusterated and i would be too. I am not saying ABA isnt for us but i do believe we "parents" should have say in how our child's stims affect certain things or not. If it isn't hurting anyone or she can concentrate on what she is doing and still doing work then i dont see that as a problem IMO. I think However in school or our in the environment to help her understand that it isnt appropriate around others so kids wont be cruel though they are gonna be anyway to even typical kids. Where is the time this child can be just who they are? Also now saying this ABA isnt all set in stone every therapist and their way is different, i know i have been through many and am very educated. Tell me this: Since a therapist has a different way of thinking or the way they take care of the child doing ABA it makes me wonder what really helps these kids. Not every therapist coming in does the same thing from one agency to another.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

i agree with you as far as the approach. for some therapists, it is very different from the next. like you, i also pondered in my mind what drives a person to do this type of therapy....so i started asking questions. unfortunately, i found out that some "therapists" only take on these jobs as a stepping stone to get other jobs. often, they are college students majoring in other areas of interest (ie. speech, OT) and work with ABA agencies because it works with their school schedule. i am certainly not taking away any credit from college students because some are VERY motivated to help our kids with ABA. My point is that I saw a big difference from therapist to therapist quite often. After doing my homework, i just started to request people be on our ABA team partly based on experience and special education background.......it just worked better for us.

i don't know how old your daughter is but as she gets older she may figure out for herself that she should save her stimming time for home. i have heard that this does happen sometimes.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 08-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

Thanks! Yes i always ask for therapists that are educated and have ABA experience & worked with kids my childs age etc etc. Sometimes they don't care and give you whoever they can or you are out of a therapist for some time, but that's just my experience. Her teacher agrees to reduce the stim with an item or something appropriate and that has been working and her frusteration hasnt been as much since we tried what i thought, guess mom's sometimes trust our instinct and it is right LOL But yeah she will learn when it is appropriate to stim and in home therapy is where they were telling her not to stim and i do agree but i think replacing the stim with something that makes her look like she isnt stimming is at least a start. IMO.

Thanks for all your responses

Closed Thread