It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
school bus advice

my son has started taking the school bus this year and i wanted to ask if anyone has experienced the same problem that i am facing. i was informed by the bus company that my son was scheduled to be picked up 1 hour and 35 minutes before his school day begins. the distance to school is (to be exact) 28 minutes. i was told that the driver had other children on the bus and that my son was the first pick up. i explained to the bus co. supervisor that this is a very long time for my son to be on a bus and that i will not accept that time slot. well, come to find out from my sons teacher today that there is only one other child on my son's bus and that this little boy's mom has a deal with the bus company to pick "little Johnny" up early so that she could catch her train to work. the teacher went on to tell me that because of school rules they are not allowed to take this little boy off the bus and into the school before a certain time...........so this poor child has to sit on the school bus in front of the school for 30 minutes every day. i am besides myself. if this selfish mother thinks it's ok for her son to sit on a bus for that long it certainly is NOT ok with me for my son to sit there with him. my son is new to this school and this little boy has been there for a couple of years.

i even asked the driver today who confirmed the story. so, how do i resolve this situation. i felt like i was haggling (like at a flea market) with him today for a later pick up time. i am so upset about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: school bus advice

I had a similar situation last year. First they had my son on a regular bus not a mini bus and they had he scheduled to be picked up an hour and half before school started. Then they had him on a mini bus with kids of different ages including JHS kids who were severely ED he's 6. SO I've been taking him to and from school since last year. At least I know he arrives there safe and gets home safe it's a real crappy system but considering the type of background checks they do on bus drivers I'm glad it turned out the way it has.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

Isn't the system something, Liamsmom. well, i had a heart to heart with the dirver today and expressed my concern about the early pick up time. i told him that it just won't work and that my son gets car sick (white lie) if he is in a car for too long. he shortened my sons commute by 1/2 hour.

i guess sometimes things work out. it probably helped that my son started crying a bit right in front of him almost as if we rehearsed it. he is a grandfather type so i'm sure it touched him a bit.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

famof5 HB User

I am going through the same thing. My son will not start school until 8:30am and they are planning on picking him up at 6:30am. The driver said that she has 10 kids to pick up and he is the first one. I know I am about 40 minutes from the school but 2 hours is too much. How productive will he be when he finally gets there?

I called the school and the teacher said that there are only 9 kids between the 2 classes, and that there should be 2 buses. She agreed that 2 hours is too long and is going to talk to the bus supervisor. I will drive him in myself and see how many kids get off. I would drive him every time, but I have 2 older girls that have to be in school by 8:55. I wouldn't get them there in time. I am lucky that my neighbor is going to watch them a couple mornings until this is settled.

I can't stand being at everyone's mercy in order to get him the help that the government promises to give them.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

famof5,

the one thing i am sure to include in my son's next IEP is the length of time he can be in transit on a school bus. then, the bus company has no choice. unfortunately, i have had to hire an attorney in order to get most of the services we have received for my son. it really is very frustrating. i, like you, have two other children that need to be sent off to school and so i cannot drive my son to school.

Closed Thread