It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
transition to typical preschool problems

my child is autistic and in a special education class but she is doing so well and is above the other children with academics so her teacher and i decided to try sending her to a typical preschool. She now is gonna go this next week but some problems, she has no tss all day and i ask for an aide and they cant give me one. On top of that there is breakfast in the morning and lunch and there is no one who knows how she has sensory issues and doesnt even stab her food with her fork. She does eat better but she doesnt even have a therapist to help her out or an aide even to understand her. She will probably sit there and starve herself or run around the lunchroom and they wont be able to keep up with her. At home we need to distract her to have her eat at the table and a variety of foods. I just worry and have no idea what to do, they wont let her bring her own lunch either or drink i dont even think they have snacktime. There has to be something they can do, she is special-needs for goodness sake. Also her special-ed teacher said the typical school needs to give her PT, OT, and ST and yet they are telling me at the typical school they will try to follow the IEP but they only have speech therapy. Now i am changing my childs schedule and her private therapies for this crap i dont even want to send her to a typical school cause more cons then pros. I want her to be social and with the typical kids to get her ready for kindergarten but i have absolutely no help, i call our agency and they cant give my child a tss they have no one supposebly. The school tells me they dont have an aide specially for her. What do i do to help my child?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: transition to typical preschool problems

AS far as the food goes tell them that she has food allergies and you need to send her with her lunch. Second the school p/t o/t and speech with be adequate but not up to a private therapist standard are you allotted for both because once the public school system gives you services normally the at home services end they won't give you both. Call and ask for a meeting for new IEP tell them it is necesary for her to have an aide and you'll accept nothing less .Make a royal pain of your self call every day several times a day they are notorious for shifting the responsibility to the next guy so take names and numbers so you have your own record of who you spoke to and what was said. Ask for a parent advocate perhaps they can assist you. I find it unusual that the pre-k kids are eating in the lunch room they tend to shelter them a bit before sending them out in the school population. Raise a ruckous in a polite way but don't take no for an answer

Good luck. I know it's a bit intimidating to send them out of our care.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

brattybratteddi HB User

My son had started PPI when he was 3 and his behind his peers as I couldn't get him potty trained in time for kindergarden. While he is in an AI classroom he does have a para pro for lunch, recess, gym and science as these areas he is main streamed. I feel that it is important to have a para pro, or someone to be with him and this is something that they can set up for you.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

janepona HB User

If your child requires PT,OT and ST and it is in the IEP then it is up to the school to follow the IEP completely not just try. Speech therapy can do feeding goals. Request that the speech therapist schedule her time with your child during the lunch period until they get PT and OT straightend out. Speech can work on feeding goals and speech with your child's peers at lunch. If the school is unable to follow your child's IEP then you have the right because of the IEP to request your child be sent even out of district with provided transportation to another school that will follow the IEP goals completely.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

as far as PT, OT, ST i didnt have it in the home it was provided at school through the school district in her special needs school, just thought my child wasn't getting it in the typical school but now realize my child is. As far as the IEP well there is Tss going with my child but not sure they know "everything" in her IEP and she is actually getting another Tss that may be permanent but new to the agency.

How do i request a parapro be in her IEP? Like who do i talk to or send a letter to? I talked to an advocate and he said basically in our area there aren't many parapro's but not to give up and keep fighting. The school seems to be following the visual schedule and her tss is at lunch with her but i don't know about everything else in her IEP. I talked to her ST and she can only get out to the school at certain times, i know the same for the other therapists so i am not sure they can work on feeding at lunchtime. My daughter eats a lot of variety but at her private therapy sessions they distact her with a toy or something and we all know what tricks gets her to eat.

Closed Thread