It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
paraprofessionals

Does anyone know how to get a paraprofessional for a child with autism going to a school with typical peers? It is not in my child's IEP to have a "paraprofessional" So how do i go about getting my child that help?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: paraprofessionals

The only way to get a personal paraprofessional for your child is to have it included in his IEP. As his parent, you can request this and the ARD committee will have to explain why they feel one is not necessary. Do you feel he truly needs a para or will it cause him embarrassment to have someone following him around all day. I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

it is your childs right to be educated within the least restrictive environment. that often includes a one to one aide. do a search on the laws and LRE. all you need to do is educate yourself with a few key phrases that will let the school board know that you know your childs rights and you will be surprised as to what you will get for him.

i learned the hard way when we started out but quickly did my homework and was able to get everything i wanted for my son. the special ed laws are very generously written to support our kids......but the schools try to pull the wool over our eyes and (unfortunately) they often get away with it.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 09-18-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

janepona HB User

Paraprofessionals are teacher assistants that can perform academic requirements in the classroom setting only. It does not mean they have been trained or have experience working with children with special needs. What you should request in the IEP is a paraprofessional with special qualifications that relate to your child's special needs. Someone that has been trained in Autism especially.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

tinymom05 HB User

ok how do i request a parapro in my childs IEP i have no idea who to go to first? Or do i write a letter?

Closed Thread