It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
time-outs?

Do time-outs really work, i really don't think they do a least in my childs case he a little over 3 1/2. I dont use time-out a lot, he's very high-functioning and understand what he's doing and i have told that from teachers therapists etc. But, he gets in these strange moods and there is a pattern to them it's like a routine he is in it's strange. He's fine when we take my other child to school but if he isnt getting all the attention from everyone or he is just in a bad mood i get the brunt of it when we get home. He wont look at me he wants to be in his room and he wont even look at me when he is in his room he just stands there. Usually he craves eye contact, but when he is mad he will avoid anyone he wishes to. It seems like it happens then or other times i can predict and nothing can stop him from being upset how do i know what triggers it when it is in his head it seems. I have ignored him but he will stand there all day looking at no one, he will even fall asleep. I try time-outs and it seems like he wants to be in time-out, as routine he will say "sorry" when he is done in time out then come out and be ok then if i even look at him the wrong way he wont stay in the same room as me or back to that mad phase. We try ignoring him but again he stands there, we try time-out and he says sorry though i dont believe he knows what it means. Other days he just tells me sorry for no reasons. He scripts what other people say constantly i can tell what they say to him at school cause he repeats other people lines even when he is stimming on a string or whatever. What do i do when he gets in these moods for reasons i dont know? Hes seen psycologists who say he is too young to put a label on which i agree but something has to help him. He has interventions and they arent helping he acts up for them manipulates, gets what he wants. Or he complies with others and acts strange again for his family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread