It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Question Rapid back and forth eye movements

My son is 5, and is high functioning. He is in pretty good health, aside from some mild asthma. His diet is fairly typical of a kid his age, though he loves milk to the point I wish we owned a cow.

Within the last month or so, I've noticed him every now and then, suddenly having this real quick back and forth movement with his eyes.. I cant tell if he's doing it on purpose or not - maybe he enjoys how it feels, or how things look when he does it? It only lasts for a couple of seconds. Last night we were sitting in his room, chatting before bed. While he was thinking of responses to my end of the conversation, he would start doing it. He'd stop and begin speaking. I don't think it would be a seizure if it's only happening for a couple of seconds, right? Maybe this is just a new "stim"?

Do any of your children do something like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
(male)

BehaviourGuy HB User
Re: Rapid back and forth eye movements

This could very well be a self-stimulatory behaviour, as his eyes would be giving him some sensory input. Is there a specific event (antecedent) that happens before his eyes shift? If so, then it could be a matter of looking into a way of getting him the sensory input in a different way, if its not something that is consistently displayed, then there are some other options, does he get attention from yourself when he does it? do you comment on it or anything? if so it could be something that he is doing for attention, and ignoring it would help in extinguishing the behaviour. Hope that helps!

Last edited by BehaviourGuy; 05-21-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
(female)

mkierce HB User

anything is possible. I would definately get him checked for seizure activity! I have also read that the drug prescribed for reflux called Reglan is causing those type of side effects.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
(female)

Janeann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
My son is 5, and is high functioning. He is in pretty good health, aside from some mild asthma. His diet is fairly typical of a kid his age, though he loves milk to the point I wish we owned a cow.

Within the last month or so, I've noticed him every now and then, suddenly having this real quick back and forth movement with his eyes.. I cant tell if he's doing it on purpose or not - maybe he enjoys how it feels, or how things look when he does it? It only lasts for a couple of seconds. Last night we were sitting in his room, chatting before bed. While he was thinking of responses to my end of the conversation, he would start doing it. He'd stop and begin speaking. I don't think it would be a seizure if it's only happening for a couple of seconds, right? Maybe this is just a new "stim"?

Do any of your children do something like this?
Seizures can last only a couple seconds .Our grandson had this we thought it was seizures never found outwhat it was , he also looked out the corner of his eyes a lot . It all when away after having him go off dairy and casein , wheat ,gluten and adding cod liver oil (VIT A ) AND VIT. D to his diet . Hope you find some to help blessing .

Closed Thread