It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Smile Numbers & letters have colors?

Out of curiosity, I decided to ask my son if numbers have colors. The first time I asked him (maybe a few weeks ago), he said yes.. and told me the color for just one number. He owns those fridge magnets.. letters and numbers.. so I was thinking he just memorized what colors the numbers were (which would not surprise me!)

Last night I asked him again, and he didn't hesitate to tell me what color he thought the numbers 0-9 are. I know they're not related to the color of the magnets, because our magnet set does not include brown, white, black, or red.

Do any of your children also describe numbers or letters as a color or shape or thing? (I find it fascinating because of Daniel Tamet). I plan on asking my NT child what color she thinks numbers have. I have a feeling she'll look at me like HUH?? LOL (Which would be my response as well :P ) I think these kiddos are able to use their brains differently.. not just that they function differently. (What do you think?)

Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Numbers & letters have colors?

This could be a form of synesthesia. Many synesthetes see numbers and letters as having a particular color. The true test is to ask your son whether he sees these numbers/letters in a particular color ALL the time, when he's reading, when he's visualizing them, etc. I'm not a true synesthete, but I think that certain numbers and colors should have a certain color associated with them. The same goes for days of the week. For instance, to me, number 8 should be purple, "A" should be red, Tuesday should be blue, etc. However, I don't have actual synesthesia, because I do not see these colors all of the time. I just think that they "feel" right. This could be the case with your son, too. All in all, synesthesia has indeed been found to be more common in certain forms of ASDs, most notably Asperger's.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
(male)

scott479 HB User

You need to read "Born on a Blue Day" by Daniel Tammet, an autistic savant who describes the same nu,ber/ color connection.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Scott.. I do need to read it.. or at least finish reading it. I checked it out from the library and wasn't able to finish it before I had to pass it along to the next person in line. Gonna have to reserve it again.. or just buy it!

Gatsby- I'll have to look up Synesthesia. I didn't know that's what it's called. I wrote down the colors my son gave me, so that later I can ask him about it again. I would love to ask my son those questions- He is verbal, but I don't think he would be able to explain why the numbers have these colors.. his explanations are still fairly basic at this point.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

My son looked at me as if I'd asked him if he wanted to move to the moon when I asked him if he saw numbers as colors. My son was diagnosed at the beginning of September. I have that book also but have yet to read it I'm just overdosed on Autism at the moment.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Neither me nor my son have numbers and letters associated with colors.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

JustMyOpinion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
Do any of your children also describe numbers or letters as a color or shape or thing?

My 17 year old son and I were watching a television show where they were discussing synesthesia. I think it was 20/20 or Dateline..... some similar show like those. As he watched it, all of a sudden he said, "Hey! I do that!" I was surprised because he had never mentioned it and I had never heard of it. He told me what the color of each letter and number was to him and I wrote his answers down. Every now and then, I would ask him to tell me what the colors were again and when he was done, I'd compare the lists. Once in awhile, the color would change on a couple of the letters (sometimes it was a different color or just a shade difference like tan vs. brown) but most were pretty consistant over time.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

That's pretty neat, JMO

A parent whose son has speech with my son, told me that her son likes to associate songs with colors. He might ask for "the yellow song" or "the blue song".

Liam'smom- how are you dealing with the diagnosis? It's rough to hear, even if you know what's coming (IMO). But I personally think it's good to know, because then you can move on and get the help he needs.

roses, thanks for responding. My kiddo is probably just silly LOL

Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
(female)

Cathy01 HB User

My son (who has AS) read, or saw something about where people (didn't say what the affliction was called) say numbers or music notes have flavors/tastes. Like number 9 tastes like chocolate, b-flat tastes like lemon. Something to do how the brain is "wired". We have had a few discussions about it, was really fascinated by the subject. He wished sounds tasted like chocolate, his favorite. I said I thought if you tasted it all the time it would not be as special, probably be sick of it after a while. Any way, I wonder if that is related to synesthesia?

Last edited by Cathy01; 10-20-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
(male)

NSTTDC2 HB User

I get this with letters and numbers. For example, the letter E is orange and the number 6 is yellow.
Some numbers and letters I can't describe but they all have colours. Combinations of letters also give different colours.

I get it more when I listen to music though. I love it because I'm a music student/musician. I can't often describe it but there's this one song by a band called The Faint. I don't like the song in particular for this reason:

The guitars etc. sound quite brown on it but then the keyboard comes in over it and there are hundreds of colours in little dots flying all over the place. It's really weird and it clashes a lot.

But overall it's wicked, I love just listening to music and hearing colours.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I think it's really cool!

Closed Thread