It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

littlelinnies HB User
Asd

We had our daughter fairly young we were 19 due to this when she didn't do things, walking,talking ect at the ages we had read she was supposed to be doing and we had tried teaching her these things but still nothing, we felt it was our fault cos we were first time young parents, I spoke to our health visitor and she was useless and just sent us to speech therpy when at 2 and half she was still bearly speaking.over the years theres been little improvement apart from us sitting down and spending extra time with her, shes only started being able to have a limted convo with her now and shes 6, she has many "problems" and its only due to the school stepping in that we have got any help, theres these people involved in her case for the last year and a half and to put it simply we have had no help or support or advice from these people, we haven't seen them for months and shes now getting worse.. shes really behind.
we have had to make the difficult descion to move her schools and she is moving after half term, to a class with only 7 kids and 3 three teachers, I haven't seen the people dealing with her for months, they said when they first spoke to me they thing its an ASD but I have never been told properly..
My partner (her father) has Dipoler and we don't have any family so I thought I'd join this forum for help and advice that I am lacking from "professionals"

Last edited by littlelinnies; 10-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

sonj186 HB User
Re: Asd

hi there, have you been to see your doc? also who are these people you mention? is it the senco from school? or the education Psychologist? i know in our case it took 3 years to get a diagnosis, you just get sent from pillar to post but you have to keep bugging people tp get things done! hope this helps.

sonj xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

littlelinnies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonj186 View Post
hi there, have you been to see your doc? also who are these people you mention? is it the senco from school? or the education Psychologist? i know in our case it took 3 years to get a diagnosis, you just get sent from pillar to post but you have to keep bugging people tp get things done! hope this helps.

sonj xx

Awww yes and Educational Psychologist and some other people, theres a whole team "working" to help her.. altho I haven't spoken to any of them in months.. I don't think they even know we are moving her schools..I have rang their numbers they don't have anyone answering the phone.. shes been the doctors and they don't really seem to care tbh with you..yes thats what I feel is happening here.. we are just being fobbed off.. thats why we deicded to move her schools cos she was getting worse and they aren't doing any.. I have been looking on the net and its clear to me she has every sypthom of ASD so why won't they do anything?? its very frusting..thanks for your reply. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
(female)

sonj186 HB User

hi again, has she been statmented at school? has she been awarded any one to one help? if so the name of the school on the statement will have to be changed for her to get any help in her new school. like i said before you really need to push people to get things done, i used to let them fob me of as i didnt want to make a fuss but then i realised that if i didnt fight for my son to get the help he needed, no one else would!

sonj x

also having moved to england from scotland i know things are very different in england than back home, im not sure how they work in wales.

Last edited by sonj186; 10-29-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
(female)

littlelinnies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonj186 View Post
hi again, has she been statmented at school? has she been awarded any one to one help? if so the name of the school on the statement will have to be changed for her to get any help in her new school. like i said before you really need to push people to get things done, i used to let them fob me of as i didnt want to make a fuss but then i realised that if i didnt fight for my son to get the help he needed, no one else would!

sonj x

also having moved to england from scotland i know things are very different in england than back home, im not sure how they work in wales.

No, I wasn't aware they did this at school.. I thought the people in charge with the case were supposed to.. due to her not being statmented or anything like that we haven't been offered any help of any kind.. the school she was in was a welsh school and due to her speech being not to good we decided it would be better to move her to a english school and its a speical class with only 7 kids in and three teachers.
Yes I understand what your saying the only minor help we have had is due to me and ringing them and them stepping things up a gear when I have complained but then they don't bother again and now the people I used to ring..the school nurse and another lady had moved jobs..the other numbers they don't reply..I had a long chat with her school before she moved and they seem to understand a bit more..its like the don't care and then I worry that they think I am mad and theres really nothing "wrong" with her.. crazy I knowlol xxx

Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
(female)

sonj186 HB User

its quite a long process to get a statement of special educaational needs it can take up to 6 months and involves quite a lot of paperwork but when it is done the school usually get some extra funding which HAS to be used for your child (keep an eye on this) usually for a 1 to 1 teacher, my son has one at school and it has to a point put my mind at ease. the school then has to draw up an IEP (individual education plan) for your child she might have one already, they set targets and timescales and tactics for dealing with difficult times. i think you need to ask your doctor about a referral to a paediatric clinic they should be able to let you know what issues your daughter has and hopefully put a name to it! its a nightmare not knowing exactly what it is, i know i was relieved to finally be able to put a name to what was wrong with cam.
sonj xx

Closed Thread