It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

HesMySunshine06 HB User
Question Need opinions

Okay I have a 23 month old. I didn't have any concerns about him till he was about 15 months old at a checkup, He didn't use hardly any words and he didn't know where his body parts(eyes,ears,nose) were, The Dr was concerned and thats when I started to worry and really work with him on that kinda stuff. Only thing I can remember that stands out about him as a baby was he had the deepest stare, and He always reminded me of Thomas the Train the way he moved his eyes. So anyways now he is 23 months and He has been in Early intervention for a few months for speech delays and learning play skills.

My list of things he does that bother me a bit.

Has a ton of toys, only plays with Puzzles, Books, Shape Sorters, Trains(some times)

Gets attached to very weird objects, such as he has been carrying around dish towels for almost a week now, and Thats his toy, His room hasn't been opened at all today, thats how much he doesn't play in there. A Few months ago it was a duster before I hid it good enough for him not to find it.

Hops, Hops, Hops!!!!

CLIMBS, Too much it scares me

Very high pain tolerance(Fell out of a pantry, burned himself on a iron, didn't bother him).

Anytime he goes by anything that has a buckle, He has to have it fastened.
Has to push the button windows up and down before he gets out of the car.

Major Tantrums

Picky Picky Eater(Has been living on Oatmeal for almost a year)

Has started lining up his toys, and just recently flipped a car over and started spinning the wheels

Has to sleep with me WHEN he sleeps.

Has sensory issues.

Mean Little Thing, Hits, Bites, & when he gets really bad He hurts himself

Only thing is he does make eye contact, He does socialize with adults, but has no interest in other kids 90% of the time.

I wouldlike some opinions PLEASE!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

Cathy01 HB User
Re: Need opinions

Kind of sounds like my son. He wouldn't play with toys much unless I was right there with him playing him. Never had interest in coloring, exception was he would do paintings that we had to purchase from him with price for each clearly marked. Would rather be with adults even when very little, like 2 yrs old. Didn't "play" with other kids much, but would tolerate them. Was over sensitive to sound. Didn't like to get hands dirty or walk in grass, had some sensory issues but not to the point I was overly concerned. Never had problem with eye contact. Didn't have any classic autism signs. Was later diagnosed w/Aspergers about 9 years old.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

goddessoflubboc HB User
Re: Need opinions

Sounds a lot like my son who is now almost 14. He had his own little way of being and we indulged him as he was an unexpected surprise. He didn't speak but rather made sounds I learned to interpret. He had massive meltdowns, I learned not to take him anywhere too bright, too dark, or with artificial plants... We took him to the movies once at àge 4 and as the lights went down and the noise rose up, we nearly had to peel him from the ceiling! It took 6 weeks to change the restaurant we went to on Sat nights - one week to sit in the parking lot, one week to see the menu, etc....

He was diagnosed at 10. Since then I've been able to teach him coping skills and get him accommodations at school to keep his stress to a minimum. Good luck!

Closed Thread